Milton Keynes -> Newcastle – Travel advice?

Home Forum Chat Forum Milton Keynes -> Newcastle – Travel advice?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Milton Keynes -> Newcastle – Travel advice?
  • deadlydarcy

What time are you leaving?

solamanda

5:30’ish

deadlydarcy

Face it man, yer fecked really aren’t you? Not much help, but I can’t think of any route up from where you are that isn’t gonna be stuffed on a Friday evening. Either leave later or not at all.

solamanda

I’ve been warned there are bad road works on the M1. I’m doing this journey tomorrow evening, any route advice or accept my fate?

Premier Icon hot_fiat
    Subscriber

You poor sod!

The M1 will be a misery – probably stationary from 22-32.

you could try: A509>A45>A605>A1 but you’ll have to put up with the parade of trucks on the A45. You’ll average about 40 until the A1, then it’s usually quite fast North of Peterborough.

I have to do Stirling to Newcastle tomorrow night. I’m really not looking forward to the Edinburgh bypass – took me 6 hours a couple of weeks ago 🙁

ken_shields

I live in MK and have to go to our office in Newcastle fairly regularly. I normally do it from about 6.30 in the morning and just do the M1 to Leeds and then the A1. Normally takes about 4 hours.

Could potentially be very shite at 5.30 but may be ok (same could be said about any motorway journey on a Friday evening tho.

TooTall

If the M1 is a problem, head South, over the M1 at J13, Bedford bypass, Black Cat roundabout, A1 North.

ken_shields

Do not go to Bedford via junction 13. Road widening going into Bedford makes it a **** nightmare.

If you must go to bedford then do it on the A422

trailmonkey

Just don’t go. The journey will take forever, cost a fortune and at the end of it, you’ll be in Newcastle.

K

Just drive really fast up the empty lane on the left that no one uses.

Premier Icon Terrydactyl
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Leave it as late as you can

twohats

Train?

Ha ha ha etc…

My advice would be to keep your mouth shut once you get past Northampton, as everyone knows Southerners get a kicking if they dare venture North.

dickydutch

A1 north aitn much better around catterick – plenty of trucks overtaking at 60mph. can get bad tailbacks. its worth it though to finish in Newcastle!!

halfbee

Ferry: Harwich – Hook of Holland – Newcastle

solamanda

My advice would be to keep your mouth shut once you get past Northampton, as everyone knows Southerners get a kicking if they dare venture North.

I don’t seem to be excluded from the kicking while down south.

halfbee

It’s the “victim” tattoo on your forehead…

neilb67

I have driven Wednesbury to Newcastle every evening this week. So I can only comment from A38 junction north. From there north there has been no problems this week. Even the roadworks around Wetherby in the heavy rain the othernight were ok. I wouldnt go as far as Catterick, come off at J49 and take A19 north. Been doing this route every 4 weeks for the last 6 months and theres no difference in time. The advantage of the A19 is that there are no roadworks like the A1. Just keep an eye out for police especially after the Middlesbrough turnoff. Oh, and dont forget your £1.20 for the tunnel…

solamanda

In the end I took the A1 option and made it inside 4 hours with barely any traffic. Thanks all.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Milton Keynes -> Newcastle – Travel advice?’ is closed to new replies.