Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Milkit Booster – why so expensive?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

So the Milkit booster head looks like a good item for tubeless inflation but why oh why have they made the head and bottle so expensive? The bottle is just a SIGG bottle so why would anyone buy it with the head for £43 when the head is £25 and a SIGG bottle can be had for a few quid off eBay or Amazon?

smashit
    Free Member

Is the package not a reinforced bottle?

andylc
    Free Member

Milkit valves are great. Can’t really see the point of the Milkit booster though, considering I just bought an excellent Truflo track pump with air store, and that was only £50.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Chickens

Mister-P
    Free Member

Chickens?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Sorry this turdy new forum update didn’t allow me to edit the thread properly on dolphin (browser) and hence I had to add something random to get the damn thing to update.

Hence chickens 🙂 sorry op. I do like chickens though…. Going to flame grill one this evening.

hatter

0.6 litre Sigg bottles are £17.95 on Amazon

The milkit bottles have reinforced bottoms so they don’t bulge out at high pressures like standard Sigg bottles when you stick 150 PSI in ’em.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“standard drinking bottles…”

i know , i was hella disapointed when it didnt screw into my camelback podium

Who goes cycling with a sigg ?

ajantom

So the Milkit booster head looks like a good item for tubeless inflation but why oh why have they made the head and bottle so expensive? The bottle is just a SIGG bottle so why would anyone buy it with the head for £43 when the head is £25 and a SIGG bottle can be had for a few quid off eBay or Amazon?

Can be found a bit cheaper than £43 if you look. I was browsing and Freeborn are doing the head + 0.6l package for £32 and the head + 1l for £36. It’s a bit more reasonable at price.

£23 or so for the head does seem a bit pricey, but I imagine getting the moulds made (for what is quite a niche product) is quite pricey.

Seems like a nice, neat solution. Still cheaper than most of the competition, and a little more portable. Being able to carry it travelling and pump it up with a mini pump is a real advantage.

sisley
    Free Member

How to get into closed chats?

lornholio
    Free Member

I have just tested the milkIt Booster head with a slightly dented 3 year old 750ml €5 Quechua (Decathlon) Sigg-style bottle and I was not killed by flying shards of metal.  Your mileage may vary.

I carry this bottle on most big rides so thought that the head may prove a useful addition to my backpack, for the sake of 20g.  To be fair I’ve only ever seen one friend need to reseat a tyre on the trail but he did manage it with CO2.  Will I ever use it on the trail?  Probably not, but see “for the sake of 20g” above, and I could say the same thing about a few other things I carry too, plus I fancied it for home and roadtrip use anyway.

I emailed milkIt directly a couple of weeks ago asking if a decent mini pump would inflate the bottle OK on the trail and they replied no problem, but better to use their smaller bottle (600ml) if using a mini pump in order to reach a high enough pressure a bit easier (85-120psi).  I replied to thank them and that I planned to use my existing Sigg-style bottle with the head and received no further reply from them.

I ordered the head from Bike24 after that.  It arrived leaky but was replaced immediately by Bike24 after I sent a video demonstrating the problem.

The replacement head arrived today.  I connected it to the aforementioned bottle and inflated it with a cheap track pump while a heavy towel was wrapped around the bottle & head in case of explosion. When I hit about 140psi the head popped off the bottle just a little at a slight angle with a long slow hiss.  I then unscrewed and reinstalled the head no problem, inflated again to 140psi and it held fine, and tested the inflation on a tube.  The bottom of the bottle is now very slightly bulged outwards but it still stands up on a table OK.

milkIt’s own instructions say to inflate to 160psi.  140psi was getting pretty tough going for my track pump so that’s as high as I would have gone anyway.  I’ll it for real at about 100-120psi when I change tyres in the next few weeks but am not scared of going to 140-160psi if need be.

vincienup
    Free Member

I guess the takeaway here is that the OE bottle is good for 160psi and others may not be.  YMMV.  Considering how much exploding plastic cola bottles scare some people recently  I’m almost surprised this conversation is happening!

The Milkit booster isn’t comparable to any track pump with air storage unless you routinely strap that to your bag and ride with it. The whole point is that it’s a trail-size tool for fitting tubeless tyres should you ever be unfortunate enough to need to do so.

DezB
    Free Member

Probably needs a bump in case anyone hasn’t seen the

RECALL on the homepage…

Dangerous!

(Also an anagram of Kill Me (well ok, ‘mi’)

Mister-P
    Free Member

You really need to work on your anagrams DezB.  Where’s the T?

DezB
    Free Member

I changed it into a L 😆

Kil Tim?

dirkpitt74

What I want to know, is it pronounced:

A) Mil-Kit

B) Milk-It

or

C) Milki-T

njee20
    Free Member

Sure it’s Milki-T. As in, “would you like a cup of…?”

DezB
    Free Member

It’s pronounced  “junk”

njee20
    Free Member

Aside from explodey valves, I must say I’d be bloody wary about putting 150+ PSI into a battered Sigg waterbottle.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m always wary pumping 120psi into my Airshot!

njee20
    Free Member

Likewise with my Flash Charger!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Where’s the recall?

Mister-P
    Free Member
    thepodge
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

There’s a recall?!

wwaswas

otsdr
    Free Member

That’s more like a pre-recall, there’s no official info yet.

TimP
    Free Member

Woah there DezB, what did I do wrong??

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I stopped reading at “gotten in touch” the Queens English is being eviscerated by presumably educated journalists.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I think they are writers, not journalists.

Personally I blame the Editors… 😊

Edit: where’s my smiley gone?

DezB
    Free Member

Woah there DezB, what did I do wrong??

Probably cross-threaded it 😀

I stopped reading at “gotten in touch”

Yeah, I was super bummed out by that.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I stopped reading at “gotten in touch” the Queens English is being eviscerated by presumably educated journalists.

Touching is what happens when you reach out to people.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Milkit Booster – why so expensive?’ is closed to new replies.