Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Mile munching off road steely 29er frame wow!
  • forexpipz
    Free Member

So I need a steel mile muncher. Think world tourer.

I like the idea of the singular swift or the salsa. It will be equipped with the new jeff jones loop bar 710.

What other frame options do I have?

Would the Jeff Jones diamond do it?

I’ll be rackless with frame bags and drysacks and ultralight equipment. Rider plus luggage less than 100kg.

Opinions please. Collapsible would be a bonus and I ride single speed but am thinking geared for epic bike packing journeys. Please help!

JRTG
    Free Member

I’d take the salsa over the swift any day, the ebb versus the swinger dropouts for a start. Both pretty heavy but the salsa is very comfy.

Where you going?

Andy

Steel 29ers all tend to be quite heavy. There is a Sir9 but that’s overpriced IMO. The Swift is a lovely frame, I’d also look at the Cotic Solaris as te lightest of the bunch.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Edric64
    Free Member

Dawes Galaxy with s and s couplings?

Mackem

New brand over here (Basque country). Look nice…
    http://www.pyrencycles.com/nereacute—29er.html

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Have a look at jameso’s account of the Tour Divide on his jones- pretty impressive and good endorsement of the Jones diamond

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Should have said its on the jones website- cant do links on the iPad I’m afraid!

OCB
    Free Member

Ok, it’s a ‘recommend what you ride’ post coming up …

My Swift has ‘old’ Jones Loops (with ControlTech terminator plugs giving me an extra 20mm out each side). I own, err, a few Singulars, and I’ve never had any issues with any of the EBB’s (which is only to say I’ve never had any trouble).

I run my Swift with a set of Salsa Enabler forks too, so I have 135mm OLN front and rear. I don’t go far enough to warrant needing to have that as a fall-back, but I could do. I use both Bikepack.EU and Wildcatgear rackless bags – both work well. The El M looks like a great bike too – I hovered between that and the Swift for ages before committing to the Swift.

… But all that said, my world-tour bike would actually be my Peregrine (but that might be down to sentimentality as much as anything else).

😉

ontor
    Free Member

In the spirit of reccomend what you ride my Karate-monkey with alfine hub and 2.4 tyres is perfect for long days on t’moor and it climbs nicely too…

jameso

Would the Jeff Jones diamond do it?

f- yeah.

I have a steel one as one day, that’s what I want to do on it. Used a ti fork to save a bit of weight this summer but every other trip has been done with the steel fork.

PopL, thanks, just my opinion on that kind of bike/use but I’ve not found a flaw in the bike yet. Bushnell is great and the bike is ace on the tech as well as on road. Bit over-attitude-ed for road/trail use in some ways but it’s still lighter than a Fargo and many others that are more road biased.
    A friend just got back from riding across Asia on a similar set up on his Surly Ogre. A rear pannier / rack may not be a bad thing if it’s really remote but I’d just add a rack and tie stuff to it if needed or buy basic bags out there.

jameso

..and if I was looking at Singulars it’d be the Gryphon, great potential for loop bars / flare drop bike-pack set ups by the look of it.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Tbh I’m a bit biased also owning a diamond/ truss forked jones 😳

jameso

Me too of course.. for balance, seen the new El Mariachi? Shorter rear, curved ST etc. Nice stuff in Salsa’s 2014 range –
    here

ratherbeintobago

Steel 29ers all tend to be quite heavy

Thick question time. Frame weight for a M SC Highball (which is about the only alloy frame I can find a published weight for) is 1.82kg; for this year’s El Mar M it’s 2.41kg.

Does 600g make that much difference?

Edit: Next year’s El Mar might be marginally lighter due to the shorter chainstays. Geo seems to be otherwise unchanged, though the frame-only option is what can only be described as an eye-searing orange. 2014 Salsa catalogue here on MTBR forums

Nipper99
    Free Member

plus one for the Gryphon.

forexpipz
    Free Member

Heavy? Words like that make me chuckle. Behave. Makes little difference as a tourer. Especially when a litre of water weights a kilo.

The Jones is playful then? Perhaps too much so.

There will obviously be some road munching in abundance and perhaps the Jones will not lend itself in this respect.

Salsas are sluggish by all accounts and only start to shine laden apparently.

So its Swift, Gryphon or Jones. Cant decide. Would be great to hear from users with both bikes and not Full suspension mountain bike devotees who consider weight to be the deciding factor and totally disregard all the other engineering considerations.

captainsideburns
    Free Member

I’m not really into this stuff, but I noticed new specialized AWOL also split rear seat stay for belt drive…
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/07/17/2014-specialized-goes-awol-for-adventure-disc-for-cx/
    Probably not out till september

Nipper99
    Free Member

Pictu
    james may 2013 029 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickrre of my Gryphon in its natural environment, currently 1/10 set up (11/36) and 30t chainring.

jameso

A Jones’s playfulness doesn’t detract from it’s road ability or feel, just meant if there’s never going to be any trail riding or downhill fun then there may be less reason to go for one. It’s still relatively light and very comfy though. Done loads of road miles on it and would still be my choice for a long road/dirt track tour.

paul4stones

Various Surly bikes. Long haul trucker, Ogre/Troll, Krampus even or next year’s ESR (modified Krampus with braze ons). Or a Hewitt type frame – 700c with big clearance for 29er type tyres – rebadged are available in some places . . .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Mile munching off road steely 29er frame wow!’ is closed to new replies.