Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 161 total)
  • Mike Hall.
  • butcher

Above picture says it all really. It’s just so sad that people die doing something so fantastically great.

sandboy

Tragic news, i’ve only just picked up my iPad and found out.

teamslug
    Free Member

Just seen this on the news. Followed his spot checker on the Tour Divide and was following this week. Legend, often a word overused but in this case….Legend.

MrOvershoot

So sad it just makes me want to scream.

from 2013 so scary given what happened,

everyone
    Free Member

I’m going to ride my bike tomorrow and while it might not be the furthest, fastest or particularly epic ride I hope that by the end of it I’ll be a slightly better rider than before.

I hope that’s what Mike would want.

To be honest I’ve never met Mike, never talked to him on twitter etc but this has really got to me for some reason.

Keep riding Mike, keep riding.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Really terrible news. Like many other people, I never knew or met Mike, but he was a real inspiration to me and many others. A normal guy who did really extra ordinary things. Thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP Mike

pete68
    Free Member

I had the pleasure of meeting Mike a couple of times at the start of the TCR of which he was the organiser. Doing the TCR was definitely an inspiration (that word again) to me. Made me ride further, climb proper mountains and go to places I’d never have gone to other wise ,all with added thrill of being an unsupported rider and knowing you were out there on your own. So thanks Mike for making me and plenty of other riders take up a challenge and push themselves a bit . You’ll be sorely missed.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I met Mike last year at Bespoked. He came and talked to us about whether we wanted to partner with the TCR. I’d known all about the rides he’d done, the incredible feats. The man I met that day though was just a normal man. Softly spoken, generous with his time and with kind words for what we were doing. I thought he was great. As Superficial says, that might just be why he was so inspirational to me and so many others. A hero of mine, for sure. x

ART

Lovely tribute from Singletrack on the home page. It was a pleasure to see him at the awards ceremony last year. A gentle, softly spoken man, modestly doing great things. Remember, be inspired, keep riding.

jonnyboi

The justgiving page is past £63k. One positive thing in all this

karlsbug
    Free Member

This has really affected me, I don’t normally blub in public but I couldn’t help it on hearing Mike’s death. I never knew him, never would have, but I admired him and his understated modesty from afar and the whole situation is so incredibly and profoundly sad and upsetting to me. Kristof Allegaerts tribute to his friend and competitor was first class and cheered me up a bit, much respect to him. RIP Mike Hall, a legend.

vondally
    Free Member

I, like many on here, did not know Mike Hall personally but I , like so many on here, followed his exploits; amazed, inspired and in awe of his achievements.

Today I rode a long way, for me, to places I have never ridden, I rode fast, for me, I ambled, I looked a daffodils, I rode trail centre downhills, up road climbs, I smiled at all the cyclists I passed, I rode my bike.

Thanks Mike.

singlespeedstu

Mike was a true insperation to me with his nice guy just riding his bike in an understated way while achieving huge groudbreaking things and really bought a tear to my eye when i read the sad news.
    But there is a nagging thing in my mind about how safe endurance events like this are on public roads.
    Athletes like Mike pushing themselves further and further into the realms of endurance with little or no sleep can’t be a good combination with shit driving on public roads…
    Maybe keep the ultra stuff away from public roads so we don’t lose any more genuine bike riders like Mike.
    Just my thoughts and feel free to tell me i’m wrong.

bedmaker

It’s awful. Condolences to those who knew and loved him.

I never knew Mike but the first time I heard of him was winning the ‘Puffer. The winners are impressive every year, but the year he won it was the first I remember really thinking WTF?? The guy must be a different species to do what he did.

Maybe keep the ultra stuff away from public roads so we don’t lose any more genuine bike riders like Mike.
    Just my thoughts and feel free to tell me i’m wrong.

You’re absolutely not wrong.
    I can’t help but think the same.
    I got the nice printed journal Lee Cragie did recently about the HT550, I think it was in that there was mention of nodding off on the bike, on a smooth road section.
    It just sounded potentially deadly to me, regardless of how much I love the whole scene.

eskay

A tragic loss.

When I went to bed last night I read a few pages of the book I am currently reading and this quote seemed very poignant:

“When you are young and strong and full of hope, sit down one day and think about the world. Decide what you would like to do above all else – and then go and do it. Follow your star to the bitter end, no matter what the hazards or perils; no matter even if the star proves to be a false guide and you die in the attempt. You will have lived life to the full. You will have enjoyed yourself and, even if you leave behind no material treasure, you will leave riches in the hearts of those who have known strength from your strength and who will cherish your memory until their day is done.”

celticdragon

I think you’re both right on the sleep deprivation on the public road thing. I can see organisers now following the tour in New Zealand where they stipulate a 6 hour break in every 24 hours.

atlaz
    Free Member

You’d never have an on-road ultra event then. Anyway, I think it’s down to individuals to decide if they want to ride. IF TCR5 goes ahead we’ll see if people pull out before the race or not or whether they just carry on as before.

singlespeedstu

Anyway, I think it’s down to individuals to decide if they want to ride.

Not desputing that at all. Just asking if people think it’s safe on a public road.
    I personally don’t, but that’s just my opinion but maybe this isn’t the place for this discussion so i’ll just bow out.

jimification
    Free Member

We had a nice chat with him after his talk in Brighton a couple of years ago. Just a really nice guy and completely inspiring. So sad to hear this news.

Moses

Mike inspired me, his stamina was amazing. I followed him online throughout the last Tour Divide, wondering how he kept going. RIP.

crosshair
    Free Member

Perhaps discuss the merits of ultra endurance riding in the Indie-Pac thread and keep this one for fond memories of a top bloke hey?

I only found out about him through the fantastic Cycling Maven coverage of IndiePac this year. I was new to the whole dot watching thing too but soon became engrossed!
    Whilst it is a tragedy that it has happened, I look forward to learning more about the amazing things Mike did- he seems to have genuinely touched a lot of people.

bland

Inspired to ride is just about to start on bike channel (22:30) for anyone who hasn’t seen it and wants to see a bit of who mike was. I can’t personally bring myself to watch it again yet but take the opportunity to watch or record it if you haven’t seen it

craig24
    Free Member

I didn’t know Mike, neither did I ever meet him. I watched Inspired to Ride last year and I’ve read a few bits about him since watching it. He seemed like an amazing person who inspired so many. Such a sad loss, thoughts go to his family and friends.

Ride in peace Mike

ransos
    Free Member

A competitor’s thoughts on cycling in Australia.
    Reflections on Mike Hall, the IPWR and cycling in Australia

palmer77
    Free Member

I am ashamed to say I’d not heard of Mike before the recent events, however, I have just watched ‘Inspired to Ride’ and will forever be in awe of his ability and humanity as a result…RIP

robcolliver
    Free Member

I’ve just seen an article in Outsideonline magazine by Juliana Buhring about Mike’s last race and it is a wonderful insight into the man.
    I only met him a couple of times, and Juliana is right – he really did inspire us to do more on our bikes.
    https://www.outsideonline.com/2173576/mike-hall-man-who-inspired-world-cyclists?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=facebookpost

shaggy

There is a memorial next week.

https://mikehall.cc

piesoup
    Free Member

Any one going to this^^^

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I probably am piesoup, he was a local lad to me and I’ve got friends who were close to him so it seems the right thing to do, for them as much as for Mike

shaggy

I’ll be there.

piesoup
    Free Member

I’ll be riding over from York as we’re there for the week. It’s the only way I’ve been allowed to take my bike.

richpips
    Free Member

It was a good turn out today in Harrogate.

Obviously not a happy occasion, but it was great to hear people’s memories of Mike, and later their plans for riding bikes a long way in the future.

#beinspired #bemoremike

shaggy

I totally agree with that. It was nice catching up with you and Tom as well as hearing about your future plans. It was a theme that was mirrored in so many conversations. Sad that this had to draw a community together, but hopefully some good things grow from it.

ninfan
    Free Member

Mike is going for his his last ride next week, along with a Spot tracker.

http://road.cc/content/news/223212-transcontinental-race-go-ahead-mike-hall-take-his-final-ride

ninfan
    Free Member

For the spot watchers, mikes final journey is now underway:

You can follow it here:

http://trackleaders.com/mikeslastdot17

scud
    Free Member

Still seems very surreal, i was watching his dot that night when the accident happened and constantly trying to update social media for news, then watching it last night again with a few tears.

I know though that he is someone who has truly left a legacy and inspired many.

faustus

What a fitting and poignant tribute indeed.

I’m at work all day and in Berkshire, otherwise i’d have liked to ride alongside for a while and salute an inspirational stranger. Think i’d struggle to make it up there to intercept the ride before it ended.

Enjoy the ride Mike.

stwhannah

Maybe it’s the lack of sleep, but I can admit to feeling a bit tingly round the edges this morning. Riding along in the middle of the warm night in shorts and tshirt with Mike on my back, the moon coming through the clouds, and his friends around me isn’t something I’m going to forget. It was a perfect night for a midnight ride, and thanks to Mike I wasn’t in bed and missing it. A privilege to have shared a ride with him in life and death.

ransos
    Free Member

What a wonderful send off for an inspirational man.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Mike Hall.’ is closed to new replies.