• This topic has 36 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mokl.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Mike Hall finishes rtw today
  • Blackhound

If you find yourself in London town today in need of a celebration Mike Hall is due to arrive at Greenwich at midday having ridden around the world. A time of around 93 days. He may be a bit smelly:~)

Pics later all being well

Taff
    Free Member

I was hoping to go to see him arrive in Portsmouth unfortunately the mrs has made some (boring) plans

MarinNo8
    Free Member

I’ve been following this fantastic effort via twitter and on here. I wish I could be there to welcome him home. A truly amazing achievement. Well done Mike.

crazy-legs

And if he times it right, there might even be a flypast or a street party for him! 😉

Schweiz
    Free Member

Proper British hero.

foureyes
    Free Member

really amazing isnt it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

He is in todays guardian

will
    Free Member

Simply amazing effort, like others I have been following his journey on Twitter!

JRTG
    Free Member

On the train to London to cheer him in. Incredible effort!!

atlaz
    Free Member

He is in todays guardian

In a fairly epic killjoy oped piece. I see the writer’s point but he’s missing the point a little too I think.

Massive achievement and probably one that’s not going to be bettered (and if so not by much)

mudshark
    Free Member

Oh what a shame, he just went past the end of my road – what a shame I didn’t realise he’d come through Leatherhead.

Blackhound

Subject to ratification his time is 91 days 18 hours 23 minutes. Rory from Upgrade was there with a carbon rim and stickers to enter the time.
    Pics later

Blackhound

Subject to ratification his time is 91 days 18 hours 23 minutes. Rory from Upgrade was there with a carbon rim and stickers to enter the time.
    Pics later

pingu66
    Free Member

What bike, tyres did he use?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Wow… what an incredible feat. What a legend. Can’t begin to imagine what it would take to do this.

bigrich

turboferret

@pingu66, I think the frame is an On-One Dirty Disco, from the photo the tyres look like Michelins, but I don’t know what variant.

Cheers, Rich

Blackhound

It was a PX – DD as turboferret says and the tyres were Michelin Lithion iirc.

Don’t know how many pairs he got through and doubt he used the same brand / model for whole trip.

bigrich

apparently, He was due to be sponsored by PX, but then the situation changed and they pulled out, so he had to buy the frame himself as time ran out meaning he couldn’t look for a replacement. That’s why there’s no PX/on-one branding/mention in the publicity. Shame really, as he’s won events for PX in the past.

Blackhound

Maybe PX didn’t fancy baking a cake at the end unlike the fearless Rory from Upgrade:

P6040895 by blackhound59, on Flickr

fasthaggis

Well done that man.
    I have been following the trackers on the world racing site.
    It was amazing to see their progress in real time.
    Fantastic.

brant
    Free Member

He was due to be sponsored by PX, but then the situation changed and they pulled out, so he had to buy the frame himself as time ran out meaning he couldn’t look for a replacement. That’s why there’s no PX/on-one branding/mention in the publicity. Shame really, as he’s won events for PX in the past.

That’s not quite how it happened.

But amazing ride, and congratulations to Mike, an amazing feat.

bullheart
    Free Member

That’s not quite how it happened.

So how did it happen?

brant
    Free Member

So how did it happen?

He wasn’t “due to be sponsored”, and we didn’t “pull out”.

druidh
    Free Member

That looks to be the very opposite of your normal round-the-world bike. It’s normally steel-framed, 26″ wheels etc. I’m especially impressed as it was unsupported.

druidh
    Free Member

Hall has even rushed his food stops to make up time by going to fast food restaurants like McDonald’s.
    He said: ‘McDonald’s is quite good as it’s quite a lot of calories and it’s really easy to eat quickly. Getting food anywhere else takes an age.’

The iMac diet?

matt_outandabout

Excellent – what an achievement! Been following this and he has just been on a mission.

c_klein87

totally awesome! hope he had a great night celebrating

diablocableguy

Congratulations to him, one hell of an achievement!

bullheart
    Free Member

He wasn’t “due to be sponsored”, and we didn’t “pull out”.

Missed the boat there then, eh?

😉

druidh
    Free Member

PR fail.

bullheart
    Free Member

PR fail.

Given the PX self-publicity machine, that’s quite an achievement.

rickon
    Free Member

Couldn’t have been ridden by a more down to earth guy. All his FB posts were so normal, as if he was just blogging about a normal day with him doing a 9-5 job; but it was a 7am-12pm ride fest.

Averaging 199.2 miles a day is bonkers, most would struggle with that in one day, let alone 93 days in a row.

I hope he receives a decent amount of publicity of his achievement, knocking 2 weeks off a supported record, and Vin Cox’s amazing effort by 70 days.

I find it hard to believe that his record would be beaten any time soon – I don’t know of anyone quite a normal and bonkers at the same time.

Well done Mike, you’re a superstar.

tollah
    Free Member

Amazing just increadable, the man is a hero.

bullheart
    Free Member

‘Tis remarkable. He must have a very unique physiology to have managed such a consistent number of high-mileage days.

Good stuff!

JRTG
    Free Member

And psychologically too!!

mokl
    Free Member

Stunning achievement.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Mike Hall finishes rtw today’ is closed to new replies.