Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Might buy a Genesis Croix de Fer
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

What other frames should I consider. Comfy cyclocross / tough road bike sort of thing.

My Surly Karate Monkey in cyclocross guise is too long.

GrahamS

Looked at the Croix de Fer when I was in the market.

Nice bike, good to look at, but pretty damn heavy (and I say that as a fan of steel mountain bikes).

charliedontsurf

Cross check, or vaya are worth a look.

Oh the salsa warbird… I think I want one of those.

tinribz
    Free Member

Are the new Reynolds 725 CDF frames any lighter?

Kaffenback frame-set is lighter than / bout same as the Vaya.

ahwiles
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Nice bike, good to look at, but pretty damn heavy (and I say that as a fan of steel mountain bikes).

to be fair, they do have the heaviest/strongest wheels ever made. and cranks that can be used as boat anchors.

mine* weighs 30lbs on the nose – fitted with 5lbs worth of scwalbe marathons and mudguards.

(*the cheaper 520 cdf)

it’s a sturdy commuter/winter bike that’s also loads of fun on singletrack…

PMK2060

I was very tempted but decided to order a Boardman cx yesterday instead. The current price, bc discount and c2w scheme made it too good to turn down.

velomanic
    Free Member

I bought a Croix de Fer a couple of months ago and I’m very happy with it.

Was after a tough road bike that would stand up to potholes / rubbish road surface so the bomb-proof wheels were a plus for me!

Weight-wise, it’s no lightweight but (according to my scales) it’s less than a kilo heavier than my Specialized Allez (with the pedals on and Conti GP4S tyres fitted).

OCB
    Free Member

Peregrine.

😛

tinribz
    Free Member

Peregrine.

avdave2

I’ve just bought one of the classifieds that had done around 200 miles according to the previous owner but in fact it looks brand new and still has the original factory chain lube. I’ve bought it to replace the 10 speed Coventry Eagle that I began my off road riding on in 1985 which ended up a little bent out of shape and was replaced with a Rockhopper in 1986. I just wanted a bike that took me back to riding anywhere and everywhere and so far it seems pretty good. I started riding off road as a shortcut to decent roads and really liked the mix. For me it would benefit from lower gearing and I am thinking of going 1×10 on it with a 11-36 cassette and a 9 speed xt or slx rear mech.

miketually
    Free Member

Loving my Cotic X

IanW
    Free Member

Took a test ride recently and didnt find the 56 I rode that heavy. Sure its not a carbon race bike but its definetly not an anchor and like most bikes I bet you could change the wheels and save a kilo..ish.

failedengineer

I’ve just built one up, using Hope/Mavic wheels, BB7s, Mainly Ritchey finishing kit, Flite saddle etc. It weighs a tad under 23lbs with Gatorskins and Time atacs. Not bad, I reckon. It rides really well, plenty fast enough for me. Looks good, too. I’ve just got some cyclocross tyres – can’t wait to try some gentle offroad.

aP
    Free Member

30lbs? I don’t think my full suspension bike weighs that much. My cx bike weighs about 16lbs admittedly with Campag Eurus wheels at the moment and I’ve ridden a lot more than gentle off road on it.

Daffy

I’ve got a 725 CDF, the frame weight is 4.89lbs for 56cm.

Most of the weight is in the wheels forks and drivetrain.

Mine s now a rather featherweight 21lbs from a stock weight of 26lbs and if I could find a carbon disc fork in white, it’d be lighter still!

Daffy

I’ve got a 725 CDF, the frame weight is 4.89lbs for 56cm.

Most of the weight is in the wheels forks and drivetrain.

Mine s now a rather featherweight 21lbs from a stock weight of 26lbs and if I could find a carbon disc fork in white, it’d be lighter still!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I just ordered a Croix de Fer.

Seems most folk complain about the wheels and their weight. As I’m only wanting the frame I should be fine.

Anyway, it cant be any heavier than my Surly karate Monkey frame its going to replace now can it!

ahwiles
    Free Member

photo’s when it’s built please!

toby1

I’m so tempted, hefty car service this month is delaying me wandering into the shop and pressing the virtual buy button!

Oh to have gears on the commute again! Perhaps I’m just getting lazy!

avdave2

I’m so tempted, hefty car service this month is delaying me wandering into the shop and pressing the virtual buy button!

It’s worth looking out for second hand ones, I paid £500 less than list for one that had done 200 miles and looks like new.

failedengineer

Put some cyclocross tyres on last night and had a little gentle offroad fun. Suprisingly nimble. Got achy wrists this morning though ….

failedengineer

Daffy,

What’s your build for 21lb? I thought mine was light at 22.9lb.

failedengineer

Daffy,

What’s your build for 21lb? I thought mine was light at 22.9lb.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I just bought a Pompetamine, the Kaffenback is out of stock for a few months i think, new version on the way. FYI the frame weight is 2.4kg, fork is 1kg. I don’t think any of the cheaper steel frames are particularly light.

A comparable (in price) alu frame + carbon fork like the Dolan Mulitcross comes in about 1.85kg and 900g.

failedengineer

So if the frame is just over 1lb heavier than alu and you add, say 1lb for BB7s, a Croix de Fer should only weigh a couple of pounds more than a decent aluminium roadbike with rim brakes, assuming similar finishing kit?

cheers_drive

On road the C de F feels very sluggish compared with my carbon road bike, enough for me not to be able to keep up on a Sunday club run, but that’s not really it’s point. Off road and down country rough lanes it’s great fun.
    May be selling my 58cm 2010 model soon. Mint condition.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Mine built to 22lbs 5oz with Hope Pro2 Evo onto Stans Iron Cross, and the stock steel fork.

I am running Maxxis Raze tyres tubeless at 37psi and they seem OK on the road as the central knobs make a good running surface.

As long as you don’t try and sit out all the bumpy stuff they are excellent – mine was built for dashes around the common of about 50 minutes instead of going for a run, and is a lot more fun and better cardio for me as I can push hard cycling but not running.

My mate who bought one has the front end higher and the hoods tilted back, which doesn’t encourage getting out of the saddle so easily, so is tougher to climb with and he complains because he sits it out when offroad and it gets bumpy.

It is the stock wheels/tyres that are so heavy.

Daffy

Full Dura Ace 7900/50
    Stans Crest on White Industries laced with DT Revs running SB8s Tubeless.
    EC90/Bontrager XXX finishing kit.
    Time Carbon Pedals,

lizzyb
    Free Member

If any of you guys are still looking for one – I have just added mine to the classified ads – 58cm… fantastic condition – hardly used…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/for-sale-2012-genesis-croix-de-fer-58cm

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Might buy a Genesis Croix de Fer’ is closed to new replies.