Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Midwinter Madness race next Feb in Wigan
  • Harry_the_Spider

Anyone know anything about it?

It looks like it could be interesting.

Twitter @MidwinterMadMTB

Bolt

Post on the midweek mtb madness facebook page says 23rd feb, details to follow.

Bolt

nbt

Sounds like it mught be related to the midweek madness races series, didn’t they hold one at haigh hall thius year?

nikxl
    Free Member

I know one of the organisers. 2 hour “race” for all categories shapes and sizes. Its going to use a bit more of the Haigh Hall estate than the midweek race to give a much longer lap down past the canal (if you know it). Bit of singletrack, fair bit of mud, couple of tricky descents and a couple of scrambles up muddy banks theres a couple of stretches of tarmac and footpath for a bit of respite too. Its also coming up to near the cafe/kids playground using some of the course that was used for the midweek madness race so any WAGs, kids, or other interested parties will get to watch the suffering in between fuelling up on coffee and cake. CX and MTB bikes welcome or for that matter anything you could class as a bicycle will be welcome.
    Apparently free hot sandwich from the cafe for pre entries too! Mate was telling me he’s just got to jump through some BC related hoops before entries go live on the BC website so give the twitter feed a follow to make sure you don’t miss out on a free butty!
    Apparently there will also be kids races as well using the top section of the course.

bones76
    Free Member

Sounds like a winner to me and a welcome race/event to look forward to due to HTN unfortunately not being run this year, sounds very similar IMO what with being able to use Cross bikes as well as Mountain bikes.. 😀

tthew

That’s the same day as the Cannock Chase Winter race, which I’ve already entered. Bugger.
    Not brilliant planning, as there’s definitely some catchment area overlap there.

nikxl
    Free Member

Shame about Cannock being the same day but hey I know that free food is a winner for me.
    Seriously though Wigan council are mad keen for this and they asked for an event to be promoted there. If this is a success then hopefully it can lead to more races there. There’s loads of trails at haigh hall to potter round. I’m definitely going to be helping out marshalling and working on the course with them. Hopefully we can add a CX there next winter too, it would be a great venue for a rapha supercross style event

bones76
    Free Member

It’s good to see Wigan council wanting to help out with letting you have events/races there and a cross race next year would be great!! It all can only be good for the area and hopefully other council’s in other area’s will feel the same and either start or continue to support biking events/races in the North West for years to come.

monkeychild
    Free Member

This is brilliant news. Fingers crossed I can get up for it (originally an Ashton lad)

Harry_the_Spider

Well done Wigan council for a bit of positive and forward thinking and good luck to the organisers for stepping up and giving it a go.

tthew

Oh yeah, I couldn’t agree more with all that posted above, just disappointed I can’t do both!.

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

Might have a bash at this. Cheers for the nod

breadcrumb

What kind of distance is it?

Bit of a hike to Wigan but might be up for it.

bones76
    Free Member

Apparently this will go live on Monday for entries and is limited to 150…Going to need to be very lucky!!

nikxl
    Free Member

As far as you want it to be! If you want to stop for a coffee and a butty after a lap nobody will think any less of you

Harry_the_Spider

Any idea on the price and the length of the course?

bones76
    Free Member

Heard it’s £18 per entry and a lap is around the 20 minute mark…

nikxl
    Free Member

Price is one of BC’s hoops the organiser is jumping through. Mechanical issues today prevented us riding a full lap in one go so watch this space will know more next weekend on that. We are aiming for a 20 min lap give or take

nikxl
    Free Member

OK everyone entries have gone live on BC’s website

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/103723/Midwinter-Madness-presents-#summary

First come first served.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ll be busy stepping off a flight from Tenerife on the 23rd so I’m out, unfortunately. well, kind of unfortunately. I’ll have been in Tenerife for a week 🙂
    Hope it all goes well.

rOcKeTdOg

Racing at Cannock that day or I’d done it

nikxl
    Free Member

Shame its the same day as Cannock but thats the day we were offered the venue. Hopefully theres more than enough riders to go round to make both events a success

nikxl
    Free Member

Just to point out BC Membership is not required to enter online via the BC website, you simply have to register on their website to allow you to use their entry system it doesnt cost anything to register.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds great, I’ll have to give it a go since Haigh Hall is my usual destination for a quick blast anyway.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Entered and posted details on the Here Come the Belgians Facebook page and my Leeds road club, you fill it no problem nixxl 😀

bones76
    Free Member

Sorted i’m entered and looking forward to it!!! 😀

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

Entered.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Will hopefully get a Go Pro sneak preview up soon……watch this space…..

nikxl
    Free Member

We are now 1/3 full after just 2 days so if you are thinking about entering do it sooner rather than later. Again you dont have to be a BC member to ride you just need to register on the BC website which only takes a couple of minutes.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/103723/Midwinter-Madness-presents-#about

nikxl
    Free Member

Down to only 33 places left in this I notice. Should be a good cobweb duster after winter.

nikxl
    Free Member

I know this didnt get a big response on here but I just thought I’d say the event seemed to be a massive success, I think we surprised ourselves in what we achieved in just over 10 weeks from concept to race day.
    We had over 150 entries and all the starters got to enjoy a 4 mile technical mudfest lap around Haigh Hall.
    Lezyne Sponsored the event and gave us some great prizes, the results should be up on BC’s website soon.
    Mens event was won by Nick Craig with Giles Drake battling him nearly all the way to the end. Dan Wells was an excellent 3rd Place.
    The Womens race was won by Becky Preece who put in probably the most impressive ride of all on the day finishing in the top 15 overall. Second was Annie Simpson who wasnt far behing Becky until a heavy crash forced her to fall back. Emma Osenton was 3rd.
    Massive respect to the people riding cross bikes on a course that probably suited MTB’s more and the guy on the fixed cross bike was just mental!
    Thanks to the Marshals, Judges, all the helpers, Wigan Leisure for facilitating the use of Haigh Hall and organising the catering.
    Thanks for all the riders for making it a great day.

We will be back, maybe sooner than you would expect with another event there so watch this space!

Oh and a massive thanks to Harry the Sider for the advice it proved invaluable

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Midwinter Madness race next Feb in Wigan’ is closed to new replies.