Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Midges, western Highlands in July?
  • s8tannorm
    Free Member

Hiya … just wondering how bad the midges will be at that time in the western Highlands. Fancy a trip up and it’s the only time I’ve got.

They tend to leave me alone but they make a mess of the GF.

Cheers

Stuart

craig1975
    Free Member

whoosh… deadly…. Id take a fly net

donald
    Free Member

Quite bad.

But if it’s sunny and/or windy then it won’t be bad.

glenh
    Free Member

They’ll eat you alive! (unless it windy).

specialone
    Free Member

Get yourself to Avon & buy an industrial supply of skin so soft cause its gonna be like a feeding frenzy

trail_rat
    Free Member

oooftt ..brave man … in that weather id be taking my mesh tent …keep the **** out

trail_rat
    Free Member

only reason skin so soft works is that it makes an oily layer on the skin that they cant land on and thus you need to be sailing in the stuff for it to work ..

there are 2 solutions … deet or the one i found particularly good…. grow dreadlocks ..

dont come near you with either of them !

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Cheers folk, looks like a non starter then as I’ve only enough hair for dreads at the back these days 😕

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Go, because it is the most stunning place, but get the catering pack of Avon Skin So Soft from their website and get a midge net for your head. If you are moving or the wind is above 5 KPH you will be fine

druidh
    Free Member

It’ll be absolutely awful. Don’t go.

That way, it’ll be quieter for me.

UK-FLATLANDER

Fine if it’s windy or sunny, but can be hell otherwise, especially if you’re camping. Got eaten alive camping at Balmacara one July.

fubar
    Free Member

Think it was June when I walked it…only had a problem with midges 1 evening (Inveroran) / 1day (across the moor to Kingshouse). It was pleasant – not very windy or wet. Go for it (disclaimer – perhaps I was lucky).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Midges, western Highlands in July?’ is closed to new replies.