Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Midge repellant that works?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Tried Avon, Smidge and Skeetaway

None of them worked – anything else?

stevied
    Free Member

imnotverygood

Smidge

glupton1976
    Free Member

Jungle Formula is about the best you’ll get. Doesnt really stop the wee buggers though.

richmtb

Nuke the feckers from orbit its the only way to be sure.

I found Smidge works pretty well if you apply it regularly. Jungle formula works as well but its a much harsher chemical

headfirst
    Free Member

The Lifeventure stuff is good. I know this as I got bitten badly on the bits where I hadn’t applied it, including my scalp even though I’m not a slaphead.

fasthaggis

Swapped over from Avon to Smidge ,works for me.

gusamc
    Free Member

3/4 shorts, long socks, full sleeves top, full finger gloves and a net over helmet, all tucked in – yip, unfashionable, but made a 1hr slog climb bearable if a lot hot

sefton
    Free Member

forget all that, the only shit that works is the avon stuff (do a search on google for fishing)

toxicsoks
    Free Member

The Avon stuff has always worked for me…….even in Botswana!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Avon no longer works as the ingredients have been changed because it was being sold as midge repellent in some outdoor shops, which it worked as, but was not intended as, and that had some licensing implications.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I think you have my e-mail address James. If you do then drop me a line. I lost all my addresses when I got a new laptop 🙁

teenrat

Was watching moonshiners on telly and they swear by using mouthwash in an atomiser. Not tried it myself though!

Paceman
    Free Member

Smidge works for me.

Stoner
    Free Member

fortunately I still have two old bottles of the Avon Skin-so-soft Woodland Fresh Dy Oil spray.

Since I shall be kipping next to a Brecon Beacon reservoir this weekend, Im very glad I do.

BTW: http://www.alternativeinsectrepellent.co.uk/

unklehomered – Member
    Avon no longer works as the ingredients have been changed because it was being sold as midge repellent in some outdoor shops, which it worked as, but was not intended as, and that had some licensing implications.

Dont think that’s quite right unkleH. The “green” bottle (Soft & Fresh range now) still has the citronella + other perfumes in which apparently works. They changed the name from Woodland Fresh.

granny
    Free Member

Smidge does it for me. I’ve also heard that they are attracted to black clothing. Not tested that theory yet.

obelix
    Free Member

Scottish forestry worker here, Smidge is working very well this year, didn’t work so well last summer. Possibility that different years’ hatches have differing resistances?

retro83
    Free Member

Haven’t tried it yet, but Autan supposedly make something with the same active ingredient as Smidge but a little bit cheaper (albeit without the waterproofing)

andytherocketeer

Stop Bite http://www.stopbite.com/
    If you don’t mind smelling like Drambuie.

T1000
    Free Member

picaridin is want you want… its a viable alternative to DEET that works. It was the active ingrediant in Avon products.

the Avon stuff you want is [Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Picaridin]

Unlike DEET it won’t disolve plastics etc….

Northwind

I’m told there’s 2 different versions of skin so soft, never see it myself though. I double bag it, skin so soft first with a spray of evil strength jungle formula on top- it doesn’t stop them all, only laminating yourself will do that IMO but it’s pretty effective.

With jungle formula, if you can still feel your lips, you didn’t use enough.

retro83
    Free Member

T1000 – Member

picaridin is want you want… its a viable alternative to DEET that works. It was the active ingrediant in Avon products.

that’s the stuff that’s in Autan and Smidge (under different trade names)

Stoner
    Free Member

picaridin is an additional ingredient Avon put in their specific anti-bug stuff. It’s not in the normal Dry Oil Spray that has the reputation as a midge repellent.

I also wouldnt count on the old skin so soft dry oil spray doing much against mozzies, only midges.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My brother used to swear by Marmite for all blood suckers. I’m talking about eating it, not smearing it on you. He had read somewhere that bloodsuckers don’t like high levels of Vitamin B Thiamine in your blood and they can smell it throug your skin, so when he was travelling he took a good supply with him and ate it every day and reckoned it worked, not 100%, he still got a few bites, but normally he’d have been eaten alive.

fasthaggis

My brother used to swear by Marmite for all blood suckers

I tried that with an extra garlic intake ,kept lots of things away ,but not the midge 🙁

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Jungle Formula has worked for us the past couple of days at Gisburn. Not one bite just lots of black midgy guts. Mind you it is strong stuff, don’t breath it in its rank.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

jekkyl

They only get you if you stop!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Midge repellant that works?’ is closed to new replies.