Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Midge Bars and flappy road STI shifters
  • guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Morning

In the process of building a road/hack/audax/cross bike and I’ve got some midge bars for it. Looking to get some shifter/brake levers and wondering what my best options are. Due to the funny bends of the bars I’m a little concerned that flappy shifters (the ones where you move the whole brake arm to shift) will choose to change gear whilst I’m trying to brake.

Anyone got any experience with this? Do they shift unexpectedly?

Ta very much
    jon

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Bump up for the afternoon crowd.

theboatman
    Free Member

Never found it a problem myself.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

I’ve got Midge bars on a singlespeed, so no STI shifters, but don’t see a problem. The levers might be at an angle but then so are your hands so you’re still pulling on them nice and straight.

oldgit
    Free Member

It seems an odd combo to me as well. In the drops your fingers point dead ahead, but don’t those bars throw the levers out at an angle?
    Or do your fingers not point ahead when using those bars.

BTW seen my post about normal flat bar hydro levers on these?

hautgrimpeur
    Free Member

Works just fine and the hand position feels very natural.

Had 10spd STI on a Surly KM commute until I switched to Alfine and BB7s.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

So it seems like it isn’t an issue. I hadn’t considered it until my brother mentioned it.

Now I just need to find some flappy shifter-levers that aren’t stupidly expensive.

Thanks all.
    jon

simon1975

Was never a problem for me when I ran them – agree with above comment about your fingers being at the same angle as the levers. Must be some pics somewhere… Here’s the first ones I found on Flickr:

oldgit – I’ve no experience but I reckon you could make flat bar levers work – you might have to open up the clamps a bit for the larger diameter of the bar. Might not be able to reach them as comfortably as you like though…

guitarmanjon – got some 3×9 Shimano STI shifters at home which I could sell. Pretty good condition, can’t remember the model number. Mail me if you want details!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Midge Bars and flappy road STI shifters’ is closed to new replies.