Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Midge bar setup
  • BigTed
    Free Member

Got a pair and wondering how people position the brake levers as doesn’t seem as straightforward as aero levers on some regular drops.

theboatman
    Free Member

I asked this a couple of weeks back, when I picked up a set for my commuter. Didn’t seem to make sense when I had the bar in my hands, but once I got to fitting them it all slotted into place, and I really like them.

BigTed
    Free Member

I’ve already fitted mine and at a similar angle to the ones above but find that my hands get tingly/numb very quickly so am wondering about the position of the brake levers (which naturally affects hand position).

My usual approach with aero levers and drops is to have the flat of the drop on the hooks parallel to the ground or slightly pointed up and the aero levers with the tip in line with the bottom of the drop or perhaps 1 cm higher (not sure if this description makes sense!). With these flared drops that of course doesn’t work out so just wondering how high up the bar to mount the levers.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Mine look similar, might grab a photo later. Tried to keep a more or less straight flat line running along the top of the bar and across the top of the hoods of the levers

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Here you go:

Big-Dave
    Free Member

This is how I have mine (yes I know the steerer tube still needs to be trimmed). The photo probably doesn’t really show the angle all that well but I have them set up so that the top of the bar and brake lever hoods is relatively flat. I think it is a bit more comfortable for going up hill.

I found that the bars needed a little bit of experimenting to get the angle right but now I love them.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I played with the angle of the bar first so the drops were at a comfy position. Then fitted the brakes and set them up so I could reach them on the drops. The angle of the brakes was more difficult- they go inwaRds rather than dead ahead on a normal drop. This took a bit of riding and tweaking to get comfy on the hoods. I found them odd at first coming from normal drops, but now I am used to the extra width I love em

BigTed
    Free Member

Thanks all, sound advice and the photos are really helpful – looks like i need to move the levers slightly higher up on the bars.

Cheers

Ed

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Google “29 Inches” and the website of that name has quite a bit about set up of flared drop bars. Might be of use.

BigTed
    Free Member

Top advice, brake levers repositioned and a dramatic improvement, many thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Midge bar setup’ is closed to new replies.