Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Middleburn crank arm users…
  • Stoner
    Free Member

…show me your pictures. Got to choose a spider colour to go with silver RS8 arms and black single ring. Is silver the best for long life looks or black or even coloured for that purty look?

Anyone using middleburns with 4-arm spider as a singlespeed chainset? do the inner ring holes look OK when not in use? Or do you use the FR spider?

Speshpaul

CRC have got uno rings in thier flood sale

Stoner
    Free Member

spesh – unfrotunately I cant use the UNO as my gearing (Rohloff) revolves around a 36T and the UNO only goes to 34T. I could get a different rohloff sprocket (£30), but that rather negates the saving at CRC.

jsinglet

I use one of these with my rohloff. It’s been really hard wearing and also solved all my issues with the chain falling off.

Speshpaul

Ah! You could try calling middleburn, they are generally open to suggestion.
    Otherwise llack or silver, they both wear well.

Stoner
    Free Member

I already have 36T black chainrings so OK on that front.

As it happens just back from my LBS who had a set of RS7s s/h for sale for £75 in mint condition. They came with 5 arm spider and brand spanking new 46/36/24 chainrings which Ill sell on since I dont need them – but they’ll probably fetch a fair bit towards that £75. Dont mind not getting RS8s when Ive got a bargin instead. Now just to get the dual spider from CRC

nickc

Nowt much in it between RS8 and 7 to get worried about anyhoo. Black or sliver, that bike’s got too many colours on it already 🙂

Silver be my choice

Stoner
    Free Member

the saddle is staying!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

nice.

You could at least have forked out on a pretty chain though! 🙂

What’s the frame? 853 with an EBB?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Oh, you wanted spider pics…

brant
    Free Member

Niner innit?

Stoner
    Free Member

Glad my chainline needs to be on the outer ring (rohloff = 54mm) – never liked the look of a ring on the inside of the middle/oter crank tabs. Yours definately looks better with the Uno, BS.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Here’s another with a 20t granny. It has now got a bash on waiting to go on the frame (Lenz)

I’ve got a 4 arm pic somewhere

Yes, Brant, it’s a SIR9

Stoner
    Free Member

will look very nice with the right bash – which one are you going for?

got any more pics of that niner?

bonesetter
    Free Member

The Boone/Middleburn combo are real beauties (this is not my bike sadly)

bonesetter
    Free Member

Here you go

Stoner
    Free Member

jeeezus, that looks a hefty bash ring! 🙂

something very Giger about that Boone ring…

bonesetter
    Free Member

I C what you mean – alien organic…?

The Saw Tooth seemed to match the Compact Drive spider, although it was heavy

bonesetter
    Free Member

Here’s a recent one of the Niner with the 30t MB. Means I can pretty much cover everything where I ride

Stoner
    Free Member

1x9s look a bit odd too – I used to have a commuter made up like that.

Before I went Rohloff I ran 36/22 34:11 with a bash taking up third spot. Looks nice and the ratio spread is plenty for nearly all riding as the extra width of a 34 rear sprocket and a 36 front chainring covers over 85% of a 26″ normal 27spd range.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’d like all my riding possible on the one front CR is poss (which I suppose I do with the 32t Uno). When the front drops below a single 32 though it does start to look a little strange, esp on an XL 29r
    Here’s the 32t which looks clean and simple as well as being light and efficient

bonzodog
    Free Member

Im using the Middleburn 4 arm spider on my silver RS7’s. I could never get more than 3-4 months out of the Uno soft alloy ring, and so Im happy with the stainless On-One chainring.

Sorry, no pics at the mo.

Stoner
    Free Member

I love the look of the O-O rings but unfortunately they only come in 32T.

Anyway, got a Salsa 4arm 36t in black in the shed and a Thorn 36T in black on the way in the post too.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Hey BD, were those the hard coat rings?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

That Boone is gorgeous, me want!

the_pilot
    Free Member

I use a 34t with my Rohloff, a bit more at the botom end and more than enough at the top I find.

I am not an ‘elite’ level athelete so I am not too worried about the Rohloff warranty and blowing up the unit 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

bonzodog – Member

Im using the Middleburn 4 arm spider on my silver RS7’s. I could never get more than 3-4 months out of the Uno soft alloy ring, and so Im happy with the stainless On-One chainring.

Your gripe is the only ‘bad’ experience I’ve heard anyone say about Middleburn kit. Otherwise it’s been universally positive.

What application were you using your Uno in, and from your response above it sounds like they were not the hardcoat type chainring?

My hardcoat Uno chainring is still going strong into its second year, with now two winter seasons

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hey Boner can we please see the rest of the Indy Fabrications? Always loved those frames. I once saw, in the flesh, a titanium IF. I thought they only existed in folklore and mythology, but they really do exist.

Wasn’t IF set up by the guys from Fat City Cycles after it closed down?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Sorry GeeTee, are you confusing my Niner with IF frames??

First I’ve heard of IF – look very nice, and worth bearing in mind as I sometimes fantasie about a custom ti frame, based on the Niner SIR9…

stoney
    Free Member

here`s mine on the ss.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Hmm… nice bash (oh and cranks 😉 )

5 bolt though, wouldn’t fit my CD 5 arm

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Middleburn crank arm users…’ is closed to new replies.