Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Middleburn Cable oilers
  • wetgrassagain
    Free Member

Somebody recommended these yesterday to solve winter cable woes.

Are they any good?

A practical alternative to (the expensive) sealed Teflon units on the market.

Thanks

WGA

ollie
    Free Member

These are one of the best bits of kit I have ever bought for any bike, I had serious cable issues on a couple of bikes until these were fitted, I've had no problems since.
    Plus they are cheap.

Mascy
    Free Member

They're good.

Although if you ride in winter that much why aren't you using hydraulic discs & a singlespeed?!

bonesetter
    Free Member

I can't see how they work 😕

Vortexracing

great bit of kit

a11y

I've got a packet of them but I've yet to actually fit them. Imagine they'll be very useful with full-length outers too.

DezB
    Free Member

Use one on the full length outer on my Yeti.
    It works.

I can't see how they work

Er, its got a hole in it, sealed by a rubber ring. You reveal the hole, squirt GT85, WD40, whatever in the hole and it lubes the cable from one end to t'other. Simples.

tinsy
    Free Member

bonesetter… cut outer, insert oiler, thread inner through…. to lube roll o ring out of the way and use the little hose thing on your can of diddlydub40 or 3in1 and spray.

dunno what they work like, all too new to tell..

bigyinn
    Free Member

Used them for years.
    Great piece of kit and if it saves the need to go singlespeed, its gotta be worth it! lol

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, what a sparkly frame 🙂

Andy-W
    Free Member

Got some for my Five but not yet fitted them

ChrisE
    Free Member

They are fantastic. I have made a nozzle from an XTR cable ferrule that goes on the WD40 can so that it fits and seals onto the oiler. That way when I squirt it in you see it go all down the cable and squirt out of the mech end of the cable as well as the shifter end. I reckon that my cables last virtually for ever and shift perfectly despite being out every week in winter,

C

iainc

agree, very good piece of kit, particluarly on the winter/hardtail. I haven't tied them with full length outers yet as not sure if they are really any benefit there…. ??

Junkyard
    Free Member

where do you fit them on the cable run as you get a pack of three ta

iainc

on a conventional routed hardtail (cables along toptube), I have one between the shifters and the top tube, slightly nearer the shifters ; one on the section at the seatpost and one one the curve between the chainstay and the rear mech. When positioning think about how far the lube will go in each direction under gravity

ChrisE
    Free Member

I only actually used two. one about 300mm fom the shifters and one about at the seat post.

C

saladdodger
    Free Member

brilliant bit of kit

z1ppy

love them, think there ace but don't see the point on running them and full length cables… where is the mud going to get in?
    Have had mine sitting spare since I started using full length outers, and still don't have any issue shifting.

Recommended if you don't run full outers – hense why they supply 3… for the three short piece of cable outer you usually get on a bike.

iainc

zippy – glad you said that – I have run them on the HT for years, but I have full length outers on the FS and have sometimes wondered about fitting them, but as you say, where can the crap get in (maybe the oilers would introduce moisture etc as well ??)

leftyboy
    Free Member

Dumb question I know but if you're using sealed (XTR) cables with full outer these aren't needed?

iainc

leftyboy – I would agree, not needed.

PhilO
    Free Member

Iainc, Z1ppy,

Muck gets in at the ends. I use a single run of outer from the TT to the mech, with a middleburn oiler about where the Vee brakes would be. You'd be amazed at the carp that comes outthe bottom end…

This is also true of sealed cables, of course. And the oilers are much cheaper than fancy sealed cables…

hamishthecat
    Free Member

You'd be amazed at the carp that comes outthe bottom end…

I think your hubs will be knackered before the cables if you're riding through water that deep….

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Only used one on final run to rear mech but still sorted out sticky gear shifts, cheap and effective. Well worth it.

tinsy
    Free Member

I got the 2 on the bends up by the bars (see pic), and 1 on the loop for the rear mech, I had this theory that it would be the bends that caused the most drag on the inner so it was the bends that should be kept lubed.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Have one in each shift cable about 6" from the shifters and one in the loop before the rear mech. I run full outers too, crap still gets in the end eventually and with these I can blast it out and lube in. Very effective.

wetgrassagain
    Free Member

Well that sounds quite convincing, just ordered some from CRC, let's see how they go.

WGA

meeeee
    Free Member

is it the 4mm ones for shimano gear cable?

bonesetter
    Free Member

I think you do need the 4mm's, but not 100% on that. I'm going to try some to on my XTR cable set, so need to know…

Andy-W
    Free Member

Silly queation time

If you have one on each shifter cable up near the bars, yes it will wash all the crap out the end near the front and rear mech

but at the same time wont it degrease the shifters if you use stuff like WD40 and it gets inside them ?

Still going to fit mine on my Five after i saw what state the cable on the front mech was like today 🙁

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I've had some for ages, not quite sure what it is they actually 'do' though, other than just look pretty?

(1) If you can wrestle with the little fiddly O-ring and finally prise the bastard thing open enough to get the nozzle of your WD-40 etc can in to the little hole, great.
    (2) Then you can marvel in wonder as, reaching for the can of WD-40, you'll find it happily sprays through the hole, WD-40 runs outside the cable outer and drips straight on to the carpet, never coming anywhere near your filthy skanky inner cable.
    (3) I find it's altogether quicker and more effective to simply pull the cable outers from the slotted stops – al la old skool way – and do the classic shimmy-shimmy-spray-spray – works every time!

…but they do look pretty.

Or am I just missing something here? 8)

bonesetter
    Free Member

??…………..so are they worth it or not…………??

tinsy
    Free Member

They are not a lot of money to buy bonesetter, offset the cost by buying cheap cables and give em a try…

However if you have 3 piece cables or your XTR ones pretty sure they are pointless.

Padowan
    Free Member

I'm expecting some delivered in the next day or so, I'll fit them, see how I get on, and post my results.

bonesetter
    Free Member

tinsy – the bike i am thinking of running these on has an xtr cable with a full length jagwire outer, with the xtr ends, if that makes sense.

so i think it's the 4mm ones i need to fit the jagwire as the xtr ends are smaller than normal i think…?

tinsy
    Free Member

Bonesetter… I dont know about the XTR size sorry, I had to use the 5mm for the fibrax braided cables I bought.

If you fitting the oiler in the middle of the cable do you have another 6 XTR ends to put on then? I think the oilers are supposed to fit direct to the cable and not have the extra ends on, I can olny see the extra ends as extra faff and places for moisture to creep in and oils to squirt out.. see the pic.

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, 4mm ones in my gear cables. And yes, they should install directly into the cables.

bonesetter
    Free Member

no need for 'ends'?

tinsy
    Free Member

put the ends only at the ends of the cable runs, but NOT into either side of the oiler.

DezB
    Free Member

If you need ends into the oiler, you've got the wrong size.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Middleburn Cable oilers’ is closed to new replies.