• This topic has 28 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Middleburn cable oilers…
  • ratherbeintobago

Anyone know if they work?

Onzadog
    Free Member

After a fashion. They do seem to be getting harder to find.

Problem I have with them is that as much come out the oiler as goes down the housing.

Better than nothing at all but I think I might be going back to full housing runs.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I like them, but find that before you spray into them you have to move the ferrules at either end of that bit of outer or else the lube doesnt all go in.

Otherwise they seem to work and the cables last for me.

breadcrumb

They work for me, some straws seal better than others though. I run them with full length outers and can have oil dripping from mech and shifter.

FOG

Certainly seem to keep the cables running smoother, plenty of gunk seems to get blasted out of the outers.

monkeyboyjc

I ran them with a Alfine hub and full outer and they were great – next time I change my inners on my new bike (internal routing) i’ll be fitting another set.

dickie
    Free Member

I never build a bike without them (for full length outers). They usually come in 3’s so I install one 3″ after each shifter & one on the rear mech cable just onto the chainstay after the seattube.

ratherbeintobago

They work for me, some straws seal better than others though.

Is there any brand of outer that works better?

Kahurangi

I like them. When I have had very wet days followed by cold nights they help get a little lube in and prevent freezing. They also enable you to join two shorter lengths to achieve a full length outer.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Got them on my hardtail, [fully enclosed cables], and my tourer.
    Think they work quite well.

plop_pants
    Free Member

They work really well Imho. Quick squirt once every week or two with gt85 then squeeze in a bit of light oil and all is sweet. Got one on the rear mech loop and one half way between the shifter and cable stop on my road bike.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Is there any brand of outer that works better?

I’ve got Shimano sp41 outer with the oilers.

granny_ring

Would a multi lube spray work with these or would it be to thick a viscosity and best to use GT85?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve used them for a long long time. Make cable maintenance a lot. Tend to use finish line Teflon lube (red). Not too thick, so minimises drag.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I haven’t touched my cable (1×9) for nearly 2 years, and hundreds of miles later in all seasons, its still running sweet.

What are you lot doing to require a gunk flush every week!?

convert

2 years, and only hundreds of miles – there’s your problem 😉

I’ve used them and like them. Great on a commute bike that does a lot of wet puddly salty winter miles and often gets a bit neglected.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I loves em. Quick blast of GT85 now and again has kept my shifting tip top for ages
    🙂

Rubber-Duck

Yep big fan here too, ideal for full length outers. They work best using the GT85 pressurised low viscosity type of lube in my experience, this travels well along the full length of the outer and purges the outer of clag, and the cable runs smoothly with little friction. I use one in the middle of each full length cable run which works well.

Defo more difficult to source now days though. 🙁

kayak23

I have one of these type ones which works well innit. Just slacken the cable, withdraw at the shifter end 50mm, and spray.

Mind you, can I EVER find the little red straw? No, no I can’t…

core

I just slacken cable, slide outer down, clean cable with oil or gt95 soaked rag, reassemble.

Can just pop end caps of outers & dribble oil in.

Too oldskool?

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I find they are useful to blast the crap out of the outers but am yet to find a good lube that I can spray in.

sv

I use Silkopren spray, graphited lube apparently so still lubes when the solvent dries out.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I simply found them to be another place for water to into the outer and corrode the cable.

bigyinn
    Free Member

You’re using the wrong cables then.

Northwind

I use the timehonoured STW approach of fitting sealed Shimano cables, and replacing all my bikes every 2 years before the cable’s had a chance to seize up 😉

slimjim78
    Free Member

2 years, and only hundreds of miles – there’s your problem

My main off road bike, yes.

The road bike with a fair few more miles, come to think of it, has never had issue either.

Cant say ive ever had an issue with ‘dirty cables’ in 20 years or so. Maybe the odd kink.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My main off road bike, yes.

Sunno, my main off road bikes already approaching 1000miles, and it’s was new this summer! Singlespeed though, so I’m not sure what I’m doing on this thread :p

Speeking of maintenance, has anyone else had cans spontaneously lose their pressure? I’ve a can of foaming fenwicks cleaner which worked really well for 2 washes, but then completley lost it’s pressure!

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve had some green ones in my toolbox from years ago, I’ve been considering installing them on my SB95 which has full outer but I’ve not had any shifting issues so not been tempted to actually be bothered to do it! When I did use them, I always used spray 3-in-1 oil rather than WD40. There’s too much solvent in WD40, can dissolve lube and leave inners too dry afterwards.

DezB
    Free Member

I use one on my cross bike. Not as an oiler, but I needed to extend the front brake cable to change to V brakes. Didn’t have a long enough bit of outer spare, so just used a short section with the oiler to extend it. Handy!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Middleburn cable oilers…’ is closed to new replies.