Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • middleburn 46/30 gravel cranks
  • harvey
    Free Member

i’m thinking about a 46/30 or 48/31 to replace the 50/34 ultegra on my gravel bike. what middleburn setup would provide that ?
    hollowtech preferably or possibly square taper (what spindle length? )
    just wondering if there’s an option that doesn’t need a new front mech

pistonbroke
    Free Member

From memory, they launched a 30/46 chainset just before going bust, I’ve since looked on the BETD site to see if they were resurrected but not found anything. If I’m wrong I’d appreciate a link as I could be interested. My solution is to run 30/46 oval rings from Absolute Black on Shimano 105 4 arm cranks, I’m not particularly weak of leg but prefer to spin up the steep loose gravel climbs found here in Spain.

harvey
    Free Member

thanks pistonbroke. do you feel a tangible difference with the oval rings?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

There’s 2 reasons for them being oval, the bcd of compact cranks is usually too big for 30t rings but on the Shimano 4 arm it just fits using special low profile bolts. Second is it seems to give a smoother transfer of power so reduces the tyre breaking grip on loose surfaces with narrow tyres.

homerun
    Free Member

I’m in the process of gravelizing my old CX bike and ordered up obe of these
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/170-fsa-tempo-adventure-11-speed-double-chainset-4630t/

ampthill

Spa cycles will do any ratios you want. Mine is 40 28. Shifting still great with original front mech

About £80 with bb

RichT

If you need a new home for your ultegra cranks, I’m after some 50/34 175mm.

harvey
    Free Member

someone very kindly sent me a private message re cranks, it seems to have disappeared off the message page/ or the page doesn’t load. if you see this post id be grateful if you message again, thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘middleburn 46/30 gravel cranks’ is closed to new replies.