Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Middle class supermarket drama!
  • DrJ

4 of the last 5 times I’ve shopped at Waitrose using the Quick Scan gadget they’ve insisted on re-scanning my shopping. After the first 3, I complained via Twitter and they claimed it was because an item had mis-scanned and they routinely re-scan a couple of times after that. But now it’s got silly – it’s a waste of time and an embarrasment. I imagine the other shoppers assume they’ve nabbed a shoplifter. Anyway, after this evening’s incident I chucked the shopping back at them along with my Waitrose card. The revolution starts here, Comrade! Childish but amusing.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Fight the power ✊

ctk
    Free Member

4 out of 5!

jekkyl

And what did the wife say when you returned without the Avocados and chablis?

beefheart
    Free Member

they claimed it was because an item had mis-scanned

So they did nab a shoplifter?

Ambrose

Chablis and avocado are both available at Lidl. 🥑 🍷

Drac

Maybe they’ve seen your Amazon thread.

mattyfez

I walked out of a sainsbury’s once because the person in front of me had a voucher that wouldn’t scan and they wouldn’t let it go.

Left about £80 worth of shopping on the belt.

Take that, system!

DrJ

And what did the wife say when you returned without the Avocados and chablis?

Luckily she was still out at yoga.

convert

‘A friend’ might have let go (quite violently) of the handle of a 20L tub of fence treatment when the manager refused to exchange it for a different shade because the receipt printed less than 24hrs previously was apparently too smudged for her to be satisfied that it was purchased within the T&C timeframe for exchange. She ‘might’ have looked a little like an umpa lumpa from the splashback when I, sorry my friend, walked out of the store. Not my friend’s finest hour.

rene59
    Free Member

Waitrose – same shite as other supermarkets but more expensive.

matt_outandabout

yeah, but free coffee…

Jakester
    Free Member

Seems you’ve been identified as a wrong ‘un then – we’ve only ever been rescanned once in years, despite doing most of our weekly shop there. Do you have a particularly shifty expression?

scotroutes

It’s cutting down on shoplifting that keeps the prices so low…

dogbone

Did you mention you were a Doctor?

sadmadalan

I had a spell when I seemed to be re-scanned almost every time. However stopped that by getting my better half to do the shopping – she went to Morrisons!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Waitrose – same shite as other supermarkets but more expensive.

Significantly better wine section than most

neilnevill
    Free Member

I won’t use self scans anywhere after a run in with a rude and shouty security guard at Sainsbury’s. I’d paid correctly for everything but I guess the self scan process doesn’t turn off the security tags in stuff and a joint of meat I’d bought then triggered the alarm at the door. Cue rude shouting from guard, then being told to empty my bag. I asked where he liked me too do that 2 it 3 times with no answer before, still stood in the middle of the only exit doorway, I up ended my rucksack and emptied the entire contents, including sweaty boxer shorts and other worn clothing, onto the floor. That flustered him but other than a moment’s hesitation he carried on. Picking up the joint he asked if I’d paid, so I gave him the receipt. The last straw was then reached when, while peering at my receipt he asked how much I’d paid for the joint. I may then have shouted, ‘ you’ve got my receipt, you tell me, or can’t you (sweary bit) read!’ He decided to let me leave at that point.

DezB
    Free Member

Was in Lidls Sunday eve. Woman in the till queue in front of me dropped a bottle of wine on the floor, smashed. Lidls girl walked over to see what she had to clean up… “Great.” Said she. Wouldn’t get that in Waitrose, and that is what you pay the big prices for 😆

redmex
    Free Member

Your not Judy’s husband by any chance or 5′ rotund cheffy who introduced us to rocket

matt_outandabout

slowoldman

Good to see Waitrose maintaining standards by keeping out the riff-raff.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

When I was a bit bored one evening, after a couple of beers, I sent an angry email to the local Waitrose complaining that their “buy 1 get 1 free” and other multi-buy offers were discriminating against cyclists and pedestrians.

They did actually reply too, but it wasn’t very interesting. They just said buy it online.

Still, every little helps. or is that the other one?

bikebouy
    Free Member

But now it’s got silly – it’s a waste of time and an embarrasment.

Oh oh the Ironyz.

You do know you can scan from your phone?

And anyway, Waitrose are stopping the hand held scanners… looks like they stopped yours working 🤷‍♂️

sharkbait
    Free Member

Those quick Waitrose scan things are a bit lame now compared to their quick checkouts which are the best I’ve come across – super fast and not Windows based (I’m looking at you Co-Op).

tdog
    Free Member

Middleclass??? Have you actually seen the people (if you can call them that just) go in there.
    It’s open to the masses nowadays and for many years now with liquorice all sorts shopping there.

Also Seems to have turned into a clinical layout/look in stores with the ultimately brain dead Tory voting winge bags blocking waiting hrs in cue.

I use to be a loyal customer up until service got silly slow and the blanket rudeness from fellow food shoppers.

Then there’s that dawning sense of reality that hits one day as it might with you – THE OVERALL COST.

Don’t get me started on m & S Shytely sugared and salted (tarted up in the looks and flavour dept.) then marked up to the nearest fiver 😡💩bags

aP
    Free Member

Waitrose is convenient, but annoying, with entitled customers.
    If you want properly annoying and massively entitled then I suggest trying Whole Foods.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Lidls girl walked over to see what she had to clean up… “Great.” Said she. Wouldn’t get that in Waitrose,

Very true, none of the staff in waitrose have been able to walk unaided in years. It’s like a nonagenarians meeting behind their checkouts.

johndoh
    Free Member

with entitled customers

This – I hate shopping there purely because of the type of people it attracts. And I live in Harrogate so you can only imagine what I have to go through when I rock up in my 13 year old knackered Mazda and having the audacity to park near their Range Rovers, Bentleys and F-Types.

scuttler

Childish but amusing

For who?

bikebouy
    Free Member

with entitled customers

This – I hate shopping there purely because of the type of people it attracts.

I shop in Waitrose, down here and in R’ogate.

I too am entitled, mostly annoying, hugely arrogant too 🥴

Don’t park your shitbox anywhere near my SUV, fankuverymuchly..

🧐

DrJ

You do know you can scan from your phone?

Yes I do(*). And?

(*) But I don’t like doing that as it stops me from listening to Radio 4 while I shop.

martinhutch

I refuse to slum it in Waitrose when there is a perfectly good Booths I can shop at. Obviously some of you poor benighted southern folk don’t have access to one, so have to compromise.

tomhoward

@johndoh I shopped in the Harrogate Waitrose regularly for a couple of years when I lived there. Not once did the security guard take his eyes off me. I think he thought I was going for a world record in the longest planning stage of a shoplift ever, that or his magnificent presence made me think twice, every time…

Never used the self scan either

franksinatra

Years ago I lived in Morningside, our local celebrity was JK Rowling as it was at peak Harry Potter time. I was in Safeway (which is now a Waitrose I believe) and JK was in the queue in front of me. Brilliant conversation followed with overly helpful / officious checkout bloke

Bloke: This chicken is on buy one get one free, would you like another one
    JK: Its okay, I only want one chicken
    Bloke: Yep, but the second one is free, I’ll get one for you
    JK, Really, its fine, I’m in a rush and would just like to pay
    Bloke: You can’t turn down a free chicken
    JK: Really, I’d like to pay, now.
    Bloke: (now becoming quite forceful and loud) Mrs Rowling, I know who you are and I know you can well afford lots of chickens but you mustn’t pass up offer like this!
    JK: enough now, take my money.

She didn’t flounce but it was close

martinhutch

Expullum Patronus!

bearnecessities

He was just letting her know about the fantastic breasts and where to find them.

scuttler

fantastic breasts and where to find them

We have a winner. Sub 15 mins. Mega!

Drac

annoying, with entitled customers.

Imagine a place like that.

franksinatra

fantastic breasts and where to find them

If I was wearing a hat I would doff it to you Sir.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Middle class supermarket drama!’ is closed to new replies.