Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Middle-class pushy parent hell
  • geoffj

The gj juniors are doing climbing lessons at EIC arena at Ratho this morning.
    It’s a whole different level of self absorption 😕
    I really do feel for some of the kids being encouraged.

bonchance
    Free Member

Is this some kind of code – clue please?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

You’ve got to have a better kid than the other parents or there’s no way you can love your kids as much.

Jamie
    Free Member

Don’t be so hard on yourself, Geoff.

bruneep

Just let the kids get on with it Geoff. Stop being so pushy 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

🙂

[chuckling at Boba Fatt]

geoffj

😆

I’m having one if those Edinburgh love/hate moments.

LoCo
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re not shouting at them enough! 😉

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Took my kid climbing a few years back, had to shout up, “you’re climbing like a girl” reply, but dad i am a girl!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Shouldn’t you be ‘encouraging’ a sport that will pay extremely well once they are professional. Cant imagine sherpas get paid much.

matt_outandabout

Lol at Bobba Fatt.

Same here at any activity / pastime / homework. Scary.

project
    Free Member

All alledgedly middle class parents must randomly post what their kids are doing, along with the establishment and sometimes the costs of what theyre doing,just to prove to other parents they have the ability to pay more to show the love for their kids.

Before risks where identified most children learnt to climb and fall as part of growing up, and due to the need to see what was in a birds nest or to scrounge apples and pears.

slowoldman

Before climbing walls were invented there used to be a sport called rock climbing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member
    Before climbing walls were invented there used to be a sport called rock climbing.

oooo get you, got a pink handbag?

There is still rock climbing just somewhere to
    a) do it when it’s raining
    b) do it when it’s dar
    c) go when you just want to climb and not drive all the way to a crag
    d) go when you just want to climb and not piss about with gear, ropes and all that
    e) take beginners to see if they enjoy it and not be bored, cold and annoyed waiting for someone to set something up and piss off a load of old gits that someone is hogging the 2* VDiff they have been working up to.

Anyway pushy parents need a kicking from their kids or just someone pointing out that if they were shit they should let their kids be shit too.

slowoldman

oooo get you, got a pink handbag?

Got the teeshirt – Think Pink.

geoffj

Anyway pushy parents need a kicking from their kids or just someone pointing out that if they were shit they should let their kids be shit too.

Indeed 😳

loddrik
    Free Member

Its sad that most parents seem to equate as many extra curricular activities as possible with good parenting/ happy children. Mine don’t do many such things but we are out on the bikes together loads. It’s free and and they want to do it. Some of these out of school activities just seem like battery farms for kids.

My kids will also be climbing this week. But not with ‘all the gear’, just at Thurstaston on some big natural sandstone rocks. I know which would be more fun…

Cougar

If the kids are climbing and the parents are pushing, isn’t that cheating?

you’re climbing like a girl

That’s a compliment.

Drac

Before risks where identified most children learnt to climb and fall as part of growing up, and due to the need to see what was in a birds nest or to scrounge apples and pears.

They still do it’s just some people believe the media that it doesn’t happen now as kids never go outside to play.

aracer
    Free Member

Is that like the 11/12yo girl who was climbing a good grade or two higher than me (and probably better than anybody else there) on Friday?

Everybody seems to manage to let the kids get on with it without any encouragement at the climbing club my oldest goes to (I manage that by belaying my youngest at the same time – though admittedly I do need to “encourage” him a bit).

I also know which would be more fun on a Monday evening in winter when my kids go climbing.

ratherbeintobago

Its sad that most parents seem to equate as many extra curricular activities as possible with good parenting/ happy children.

This. I believe there is some evidence that kids need a bit of down time too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nice one Loddrick, looks like a chossy pile of crap southern sandstone to me but each to their own. Does it do chip butties and tea?

loddrik
    Free Member

nice one Loddrick, looks like a chossy pile of crap southern sandstone to me but each to their own. Does it do chip butties and tea?

Yeah that’s right, I’ll get my 4 year old up the Eiger… 🙄

blisterman1962
    Free Member

piss off a load of old gits that someone is hogging the 2* VDiff they have been working up to.

Damn those inferior climbers.

Cougar

I’ll get my 4 year old up the Eiger…

I think you’ll find that tea and chip butties can be had a little closer to home.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep climbing walls are fun, no crap weather and all that. I wish I’d been taken climbing outdoors first (oh wait I was) then I wouldn’t be as snobby about climbing walls.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I take my son to the local climbing wall. In fact, we have just signed him up for the kids club – every Monday evening for 10 weeks.

Sorry that I have not been able to take him to some boulders in one of the many national parks that surround this part of greater London, and that I have obviously mollycoddled him by letting him climb indoors, with a safety system in place, in an environment that has really helped him get some self confidence and a desire to really push himself. I know we are not doing it right because we aren’t taking him proper rock climbing, but hey.

And the days that kids learn to climb and fall have not gone away, he falls out of trees regularly when he;s not skidding his bike around corners at full pelt, just like I used to do at his age.

Health and safety gone mad, its like the daily mail on here sometimes.

poly
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member

Before they put a roof on it the Ratho climbing centre used to be a quarry, that didn’t charge you to get in. It was still mostly full of middle class people, but I don’t remember any young children using it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Do the parents wear badges to tell you what class they are?

project
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

They still do it’s just some people believe the media that it doesn’t happen now as kids never go outside to play.

Strange i live near a major park,2 junior and a secondry school, and see very few kids actually playing in the park,unless delivered by car and watched for any signs they may actually be enjoying an un structured adventure play time and exercise,session eg running, playing games .

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

see very few kids actually playing in the park,unless delivered by car and watched for any signs they may actually be enjoying an un structured adventure play time

And presumably watching out for strange men who spend too much time looking at children in the park and making notes of what they get up to ?

🙂

scotroutes

Before trail centres were invented kids used to just ride bikes around the hills.

project
    Free Member

And presumably watching out for strange men who spend too much time looking at children in the park and making notes of what they get up to

well i am a LA park bylaw enforcement officer grade 2, part time.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Teamhurtmore

Yup badges are worn. Anything that says Boden or Kath Kitson. Yummy mummy equivalent of wearing full team sky kit.

molgrips
    Free Member

Strange i live near a major park,2 junior and a secondry school, and see very few kids actually playing in the park

I live in a cul-de-sac surrounded by families with kids, and they are always out playing. My kids (2 and 5) often with them. I shout at them for hitting my car with their ball, which is one of those ‘omg I’m an adult!’ moments you tend to have in your 30s.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

i am a LA park bylaw enforcement officer grade 2, part time.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Middle-class pushy parent hell’ is closed to new replies.