Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Middle-Aged Judgemental Helmets
  • Premier Icon jamj1974

Two men of my own age sitting right now in a coffee shop, some of the most mean-spirited, narrow-minded, sanctimonious people I have ever overheard.

They hate:

– People who learn to skate in their thirties
    – Millennials, just because
    – Sporting injuries taking up NHS resources – despite one of them obese and jowly
    – One of them who is apparently a professional YouTuber but decrying social influencers

And so much more…

Sometimes I really dislike middle-aged people.

Premier Icon docrobster

Ask yourself if you would want to swap lives with them. I bet you wouldn’t. Hate turns to pity.

Premier Icon mrmoofo

Sometimes I really dislike middle-aged people

Wot! Just like sometimes they don’t like millennials ?

Move on – if you listen into other peoples conversations you will never feel empowered

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Are they premier members on here? I bet they would fit right in.

Premier Icon jimfrandisco
    Free Member

They just sound bitter that they feel out of touch and now aren’t confident enough to do what they’re secretly jealous of.

I’m middle-aged and a skateboarder. The only thing I hate about millennials are their tolerance for hangovers and their supple knees.

Premier Icon ernielynch
    Free Member

some of the most mean-spirited, narrow-minded, sanctimonious people I have ever overheard.

Do you do much overhearing?

Premier Icon lunge

It’s always amusing when Millennials are being referred to. By most definitions, they are mostly in their 30’s yet the people using it as an insult think they’re referring to people in their teens and early 20’s

Premier Icon Mister-P
    Free Member

Nosy neighbour

The OP earlier today. Yes, I am aware that the age of this character outs me as middle aged.

Premier Icon mrmoofo

It’s always amusing when Millennials are being referred to. By most definitions, they are mostly in their 30’s yet the people using it as an insult think they’re referring to people in their teens and early 20’s

Defining generations: Where Millennials end and Generation Z begins

Premier Icon tomhoward

Very much this. Especially when it’s pointed out that some are the other side of 40.

Premier Icon yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I am a 40 year old millenial. Rain your misery down on me

Premier Icon poly
    Free Member

Two men of my own age sitting right now in a coffee shop, some of the most mean-spirited, narrow-minded, sanctimonious people I have ever overheard.

You’ve lead a sheltered life if that’s the most mean spirited, narrow-minded, sanctimonious stuff you’ve ever heard.

Premier Icon jamj1974

You’ve lead a sheltered life if that’s the most mean spirited, narrow-minded, sanctimonious stuff you’ve ever heard.

These were the tame examples.

Premier Icon jamj1974

Do you do much overhearing?

Not much 😉, as:
    – My hearing is now impaired
    – I don’t spend a lot of time sitting in coffee shops anymore

But they were talking really loudly!

Premier Icon MrSparkle
    Free Member

Middle-Aged Judgemental Helmets

The new, must have STW accessory!

Premier Icon jamj1974

Everything they said was critical of everyone else and just negative – apart from when they were bigging themselves up. Bloody depressing pair.

Premier Icon razorrazoo

MAJ is the new MIPS

Premier Icon BruceWee

That’s the MTV Generation for you.

Premier Icon fasthaggis

How was the handshake when they left the cafe?
    🙂

Premier Icon DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

OP, how old are you? Just so I can insert an age bracket into “OP is a <approx age> judgemental helmet”.

Pot. Kettle etc etc etc

Premier Icon ernielynch
    Free Member

Everything they said was critical of everyone else and just negative

Did you manage to overhear their opinions of Christmas?

Premier Icon fazzini

Are they on a Black Friday deal???

Premier Icon Cougar

I am a 40 year old millenial. Rain your misery down on me

Sounds like a load of Garbage to me.

They won’t need one. Didn’t you hear, Muslims are getting it cancelled.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

That’s the MTV Generation for you.

I blame the radios

Premier Icon molgrips

I’m technically Gen-X but I feel millenial. Can I self-identify? On the other hand, I remember being an 80s kid quite well so that might disqualify me.

Premier Icon jamj1974

The one subject they didn’t seem to touch on.

They couldn’t stand cycling – any kind of cycling. Didn’t mention it earlier because exposure to that seems a common experience. They are big proponents of road tax for bikes and registration plates. Also they hate ‘snowflakes’.

Premier Icon jamj1974

OP, how old are you?

46, 47 next month, DaveyBoyWonder.

Premier Icon doomanic

I came in here hoping to see a link to a Dredd inspired MIPS gnar lid. I am disappointed.

Premier Icon singletrackmind

Couger wins the 90s pop culture reference du jour

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

MAJ is the new MIPS

I did wonder why it wasn’t in the Bike forum

Premier Icon Cougar

Couger wins the 90s pop culture reference du jour

I do hate to see such things go to waste.

They are big proponents of road tax

Why does this myth still persist? Road tax likely hasn’t existed in their parents’ lifetimes let alone their own.

Premier Icon oldnick

@MrSparkle, I just snorted a large bogey out of my Gen X nose because of you 🙂

Premier Icon MrSparkle
    Free Member

You’re welcome!

Premier Icon doris5000
    Free Member

Argh yes there are a few words that all seem to have been conflated into general purpose perjoratives. Are you 21, living in a shared house in Peckham and working behind a bar for minimum wage? You entitled hipster millienial middle-class avocado botherer!

(Millenial / Gen X crossover here. I identify far more with Millenials than Gen X though. I fear the term is ‘geriatric millenials’ (sigh))

Premier Icon molgrips

I’ve been in a coffee shop for a couple of hours. I’ve seen:

– A couple of foreign blokes clearly good friends discussing something happily
    – About four or five separate sets of what appears to be young people and their grandparents meeting for coffee
    – A couple of young families with the cutest babies
    – Several sets of mothers coming for an after school treat with their kids who are really happy about it and enjoying the experience (and being well-behaved)
    – A mature pair of sisters (they must be) also apparently foreign enjoying a coffee

It’s not all bad.

Premier Icon molgrips

Why does this myth still persist? Road tax likely hasn’t existed in their parents’ lifetimes let alone their own.

Why do you think? Because the name stuck and no-one really cares if it’s called VED or Road Tax or RFL it’s still the same basic idea.

Premier Icon jamj1974

@molgrips

My favourite kind of coffee shop visit! Most of the time it’s like this – and you get a little lift from others.

Premier Icon molgrips

Yeah that’s pretty much why I am here 🙂

Premier Icon CountZero

Are they premier members on here? I bet they would fit right in.

As a Premier member I resent that! They represent everything I despise, frankly.
    In any case, I don’t listen in on others conversations in coffee shops and cafes, mainly because my hearing struggles with voices in places with background noise, and usually I’ve got earphones in which block all background noise anyway, and I’ve normally got my nose stuck in a book.
    Others can then happily carry on talking about whatever they want.

Premier Icon augustuswindsock

I used to work with a (middle aged) bloke who hated pretty much everybody and everything, he was from Sunderland and hated people from; Newcastle, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, London, (and any southerners in general) Scousers, Brummies, the French ( especially the French) the rest of Europe, Americans, any ethnic minority etc etc, anybody who did the great north run who ran it in less than two hours, he was a keen roadie who had a hardtail mtb, but wasn’t keen on mountain bikers.
    Also thought had Hitler successfully invaded GB we would have been ok, if not a bit better. Unsurprisingly very keen on Brexit and thought the Daily Mail should be running the country!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.