Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mid wales riding – Nany Yr Arian vs Elan Valley vs other
  • submarined
    Free Member

I’m picking up something for a mate from near Llanidloes at the weekend, coming from near Stratford Upon Avon, ideal chance to get a ride in. I don’t know the area at all, so, what would be a good ride to get in for a good few hours? Preferably vaguely en route back without a big detour.
    I’d like something a bit wilder if poss, with a bit of some nice singletrack rather than long gravel/doubletrack/fireroad grinds. Techy/fast descents are my thing, bit of gnar would be nice but happy to forgo that for some scenery 😀

Elan Valley and Nant Yr Arian both look nice, where should I be heading, and is there anywhere else that I’d like more? Any advice much appreciated 🙂

niksnr
    Free Member

In a similar situation. Going to Hardline in Sept. Staying in Machynlleth so will prob do Mach X on the Saturday and go watch race on Sunday………..but watching thread with interest.

mt
    Free Member

Elan Valley is a great place to ride as is Nant Yr Arian but I’d go with Elan Valley. Go and see Clive or Neil at Elan Cyclery in Rhayader, they’ll give you the lowdown on great routes. Make sure you finish your route with a decent of the Links. Have fun.

nickjb
    Free Member

NyA is great. There are some big fire road slogs going up but it earns you some great twisty descending through the trees. Epic scenery and occasional sea views. Time it with red kite feeding time for a sky full of raptors.

ready

Think I heard NyA is mostly out of action at the mo? Could be wrong so worth checking…

nickjb
    Free Member

There has been some trail building near the visitor centre but it doesn’t impact on the trails further out. Its a huge area, I think they would struggle to close a significant chunk of it.

swoosh
    Free Member

I spent a weekend in Elan last October and it was some great open wild riding. Everywhere go you feel a million miles from civilisation. Definitely recommend the golf links decent back into Rhayader. Have a look on the mb Wales site, download a route and go ride.

rhid

The first descent bit and the last descent of NYA were out of action this past weekend. Its still a good trail but its better with those bits in it.

twonks

I like both the ease of trail centre riding and the out in the middle of nowhere feeling a natural trail gives. The long route at NYA offers both and is probably my favourite trail centre ride of all I’ve done.

I find it a bit strange as skipping between tight trees and relatively techy bits is great. Leaving it and heading out into the sticks feels a bit dull at first but as the ride goes it turns into an epic adventure miles from anywhere in the middle of nowhere (seemingly)

Then back into the trees and trail centre feel feels a bit underwhelming until the ‘Mark of Zorro’ brings on the grin again.

All in all a great ride with everything even a fair bit of tarmac, which oddly doesn’t feel too out of place.

sprocker
    Free Member

I have done both and would go with the elan valley, great views and some nice varied trails. As above the bike shop in Rhayader pointed me in the right direction.

martinhutch

I visited NyA last week. Two of the best sections were shut – Italian job and the final big descent to the car park (high as a kite). So basically just Mark of Zorro left in terms of longer descents.

So personally I would go somewhere else unless you are a fire road fan.

transition1
    Free Member

I visited NyA a couple of times last week whilst on holiday as staying just down the road. Not been for a few years, lots of fire road stuff & yeah they were re doing a couple of sections as mentioned above. Got a few KOM’s till changed it onto e-bike 😂. Had much better day at Coed y brenin.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mid wales riding – Nany Yr Arian vs Elan Valley vs other’ is closed to new replies.