Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Mid Wales = drivers paradise!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Just spent 5 days in mid Wales and we’re about to set off back home. Been on some of the craziest roads whilst we’ve been here, with straight sections limited to all of 100 metres at a time! Never driven here before but its been memorable. Some of the best scenery too. Can’t say I’ve ever looked forward to the drive home from a holiday before, but I am doing today!!

jools182
    Free Member

The locals seem to enjoy the roads a lot

Last time I drove to my dads place a guy undertook me using a gravel layby in a supercharged mx5

Saw him parked up in the next village chatting to a group of local kids

I think Gwyndaf Evans is a big influence around there 😉

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

wrightyson, it was you causing the 3 car traffic jams then was it 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

More than 20 years ago a crowd of us in 2 or 3 cars were travelling from Aberystwyth to I can’t remember where, which is somewhere in the valleys! The cars were loaded with CB radios, one car would overtake on a legal stretch of road and the radio back to say if the road was clear or not for the others to follow in the twisty sections. Illegal? probably. Dangerous? Maybe. Fun? Heck yes! 😈

molgrips
    Free Member

See, those people who whinge about the UK being overcrowded and busy, they are really complaining about their crowded corner. Roads like you describe are what I grew up with, and I miss them greatly.

Welcome to Wales 🙂

PS Don, just hope nothing pulls out of a driveway or field entrance 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

PS Don, just hope nothing pulls out of a driveway or field entrance

On either side?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s pretty irresponsible and childish don of the simons. Stop using other peoples’ neighbourhood as your personal racetrack. 😐

donsimon
    Free Member

😥

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Selfish behaviour in the extreme. Cars come equipt with periscopes and radar do they?

donsimon
    Free Member

Cars come equipt with periscopes and radar do they?

No, CB radios! 😕

Brycey
    Free Member

Get back in your cave SBZ. I think The fact DS mentioned it was “20 years ago”, “illegal” and “dangerous” would suggest he’s not condoning it. There was a case a few years ago when two lorries were doing the same and someone pulled out and was killed – not good. We all Some of us did daft/fun things in our youth, that we look back on and perhaps regret.

PS My car does have radar although I’ve not bothered with a periscope as I don’t go under water much these days. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think donsimon was clearly condoning it. Over 3000 people die every year on our roads. Many of them die because of irresponsible behaviour by the likes of him. Just as well it’s the Spanish that are in danger now. His style of road menace is not welcome here.

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s not really my fault, it can be difficult trying to remember which side of the road I’m supposed to drive on. Damn that Napoleon!!

Brycey
    Free Member

I’m not getting in to yet another STW aggressive/passive driving debate, life’s too short. I’m happy to admit in my teens in rural Scotland I drove inappropriately on roads like the ones in Mid Wales. It’s wasnt right, but there you are. Are we really going to sit around moaning at DS for something he did 20 years ago?

iDave
    Free Member

there is nothing ‘wrong’ in doing what don simon suggests. it just becomes ‘wrong’ if/when it goes pear shaped.

how’s molly deadly?

Sandwich

Are we really going to sit around moaning at DS for something he did 20 years ago?

I thought that was why we’re all here. 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are we really going to sit around moaning at DS

I’m a bit manflu-ish today so won’t be going out. Just because he did it 20 years ago doesn’t make it ok does it? It was irresponsible back then too you know. I’d suggest his lack of defence of his menacing behaviour gives lie to his acceptance of his irresponsibility. Like I said anyway, for now, it’s the Spanish that need to worry. Given the standards of driving in Spain, I’d say don simon fits right in. 😐

how’s molly deadly?

She’s getting on really well iDave, thanks for asking. Had a good walk yesterday (she’s still getting the hang of the lead) and had another “meet every big dog in Bristol” day. We stopped in a really lovely, very dog friendly pub by the river where she made two new friends…Oscar the black lab and CoCo the springer. Everyone was impressed with her chilled out nature in the pub. 😀 I’m loving how many people I get to chat to since Molly arrived. How’s Spud coming along? Have you taken him out running on the trails?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

To be fair the driving standards in spain and most other places in europe are a lot higher than they are here.

Edric64
    Free Member

Drivers in Greece and Spain make your average Corsa driver look good!

donsimon
    Free Member

OK,so it was illegal but not that dangerous as we had CB radios. I would assume, but it’s not always the case, that any driver looks both left and right before pulling out into any road.
    If the road had lots of driveways (built up area) we didn’t overtake.
    The leading driver would give details of any dangers and when it was safe(r). If you’re driving without taking account of thing outside the tarmac zone, you need to rethink your driving! 😈
    We were driveing slightly prepared cars (mine 1760cc Ford, Webbers goFaster stripes etc) and passing people who were going significantly slower.
    It wasn’t wild uncontrolled hooliganism, it was fast controlled driving with risk assessment and some interesting driving.
    It is probably more likely that someone could drive significantly more dangerously while following the law, which would go some way to contributing to the tragic figures dd mentioned.

As you weren’t there you can only speculate, so there’s no real issue, is there? 😀

Houns

Yes there’s some fun driving to be had, that’s all I’m going to say on the matter

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

it was fast controlled driving with risk assessment and some interesting driving.

It was irresponsible and foolish. Bordering on hooliganism TBH. But you were young. Just be thankful you got away with it. But, don’t go trying to justify it.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

So you can drive fast with one hand on the wheel and still be under full control can you? Skilzzzzzz.

donsimon
    Free Member

So you can drive fast with one hand on the wheel and still be under full control can you?

My mistake, you were there then, you just didn’t see the passengers. 🙄

djglover
    Free Member

I can drive with my phone between my shoulder and ear and skin up at the same time. I’m AWESOME though

iDave
    Free Member

Molly sounds ace. Spud is grand, he likes the taste of single malt! He just struggles with the lead when there are other dogs to make friends with. Great doggy pub 2 mins from me, and he’s been running and biking with no issues.

He’s great driving too, drifts the Subaru really well on gravel, and is esp fast at night in built up areas…..

donsimon
    Free Member

It was irresponsible and foolish. Bordering on hooliganism TBH. But you were young. Just be thankful you got away with it.

Were we lucky or had we assessed the risk correctly?

Get well soon.

Edric64
    Free Member

Did you do a method statement?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You were lucky. Naive and lucky. Cant believe you found passengers foolish enough to join in with this nonsense.

PJ266
    Free Member

My mistake, you were there then, you just didn’t see the passengers

Love it.

Just wish I had a more powerful car everytime I drive to and from uni!!

donsimon
    Free Member

Did you do a method statement?

Absolutely, in fact the driver would often consult it prior to overtaking.

You were lucky. Naive and lucky. Cant believe you found passengers foolish enough to join in with this nonsense.

😆

jools182
    Free Member

I think most people have done things when they were young that they wouldn’t dream of doing now

It’s called growing up

MrOvershoot

Surrounded By Zulus – Member

To be fair the driving standards in spain and most other places in europe are a lot higher than they are here.
    Go on I’ll bite, having driven coaches all over Europe I would disagree.

Whilst many UK drivers can be a bit inconsiderate (lane discipline being poor) , generally the roads are a lot safer here as the levels of macho driving despite what many may think is way less.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You are not the only one in this discussion to have driven all over europe. Mine is a considered opinion. I think the french and italians in particular are great drivers.

donsimon
    Free Member

And Spain?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Spain

Well suited to you.

donsimon
    Free Member

😆

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Spanish driving standards better than those in the UK. You can spot the expats a mile off though. It’s a total lack of awareness that makes standards in the uk so low.

iDave
    Free Member

Spanish drivers are ‘interesting’

But my mate in Madrid may not be the best benchmark given the pieces of scooter in-bedded in his saab

Nothing wrong with a bit of gung ho

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Mid Wales = drivers paradise!’ is closed to new replies.