Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 465 total)
  • Mid-Life-Crisis (Motorbike purchase)
  • Vortexracing

Guess what’s now sat in my garage?

Didn’t happen without Piccies 😉

sobriety
    Free Member

Oh go on then 😉

Not quite in the garage, it needs a going over with scotchbrite/wire wool to clear back some of the surface rust, but it’s only cosmetic.

Vortexracing

nnniiiccee 🙂

ta11pau1

Saw a Norton Dominator on the way home from work in my car the other day… well, I heard it first.

OMG.

epicyclo

ta11pau1

… well, I heard it first….

That’ll be the big ends…

Oh, there’s a new one?

failedengineer

That Triumph is fab. £1000? Bargain! They are fast and comfy.

ta11pau1

That’ll be the big ends…

Oh, there’s a new one?

Yeah was one of the new ones, was on an 18 or 19 plate.

I’m 99% sure it was one of these https://www.teasdale-motorcycles.co.uk/shop/new-motorcycles/norton-dominator/ but with the race pipes as in the video, sounded exactly the same.

1981miked
    Free Member

Where did you see the Norton Ta11pau1?

My mate has a Dominator Naked. It’s a very pretty and noisy thing.

We were out today but he didn’t have his Norton as it’s too uncomfortable for anything more than an hour.

simonloco
    Free Member

Those are amazing, the sound of it, one of my first purchases after a lottery win.

ta11pau1

It was coming off the A229 at Maidstone (bluebell hill) onto the M20, coast-bound. At about 6pm either thursday or friday.

1981miked
    Free Member

Ah ok, wasn’t him. But still a nice thing to see one actually being used and not just being parked up and looked at.

My mates is one of the last Domi Nakeds they made, full Ohlins suspension, megaphone exhausts, polished tank and carbon fibre parts, all alloy parts polished aswell. Has had a few “teething” problems with it but seems to be running ok for now.

bazzer
    Free Member

I think the Norton Dominator is the best looking bike you can buy new at the moment.

Back last night from a weekend riding in Wales, 6deg in Llanberis, thank god for heated clothing 🙂

Great little warmup for Pyrenees trip in May.

Furious

Congrats 🙂

It was my MOD 2 on Tuesday. It pissed it down the whole time. It was all going tickety-boo until approaching a give way junction I was asked to turn left. I had good visibility of the road so just slowed, kicked down the gears and went to pull out. However, instead of selecting first as I though, I’d managed to get neutral (this, on a bike that selecting neutral is very hard). Went to pull out, realised my mistake, had a wobble, put my foot down. Instant fail! A real shame as I only had one minor.

The most annoying thing of all (apart form the massive damage to my pride) was phoning SMC in Sheffield to tell them I wouldn’t be picking up my new Duke 790 that afternoon after all…

So, following on from a cancelled first MOD 2 and a failed second MOD 2, I’m pleased to say I passed on Thursday morning. 2 minors – stalled pulling away from one of the many “pull over on the left when it’s safe to do so” and accidentally beeping the horn in the kerfuffle getting started and pulling away safely…

Anyway, with a smile plastered all over my face, I headed over Snake Pass to Sheffield Motorcycle Centre in the afternoon to pick up my new Duke 790. Happy bunny!

Duke790

sobriety
    Free Member

Well done! And nice bike, mine is still waiting on the bits I ordered to give it a routine service before I go out on it again.

I was out on the Aprilia over the weekend, and 2-1 lane merges are so much easier on a 955cc four stroke than a on a 125cc two stroke!

weeksy
    tjagain

Nice one. remember its now that you actually start to learn to ride., If I were doing it again I would get a post test lesson in motorways and cornering and stuff

weeksy

If I were doing it again I would get a post test lesson in motorways and cornering and stuff

I’d book Donington GP 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

Nice one. remember its now that you actually start to learn to ride., If I were doing it again I would get a post test lesson in motorways and cornering and stuff

I’m back into riding after about 20 years. I got myself a 650 v Strom. I had a few refresher lessons before I started looking properly so I could test ride with confidence. So glad I did. I would also consider so e advanced riding lessons now. Money well spent.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

@Furious Well done and that’s a lovely bike 🙂

I had great fun over the Easter holidays – lots of biking and in general, things are progressing quite well for me – the occasional wobbly moment but that’s to be expected. Taking things very steady but gradually trying to lose the “driving a car” mentality while keeping things very safe.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Out of interest (and may be of use to me in the future if I decide to try and get an A2 licence) why is putting a foot down an instant fail? Is it not the same as putting a foot down when you come to a stop sign or a Give Way when there’s traffic coming?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

It’s putting a foot down to catch the bike following a loss of control. It’s not putting a foot down when stopping for junctions, etc.

By loss of control, this might be stopping rather quickly while turning and the bike leaning, missing a gear unexpectedly and the bike slowing resulting in a stop. Basically, if you hinder traffic if any way, that’s not a good thing to do. You need to control the bike at all times, rather than the bike controlling you.

sharkbait
    Free Member

OK, understand that, noted…. thanks 🙂

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Nah probs – it’s all part of the learning process (and beyond as I’m finding….).

Lots of peeps on here can offer better advice than I can (passed MOD 2 last year so still very much new to all this but happy to pass on any knowledge).

Furious

Out of interest (and may be of use to me in the future if I decide to try and get an A2 licence) why is putting a foot down an instant fail? Is it not the same as putting a foot down when you come to a stop sign or a Give Way when there’s traffic coming?

It’s putting a foot down to catch the bike following a loss of control. It’s not putting a foot down when stopping for junctions, etc.

By loss of control, this might be stopping rather quickly while turning and the bike leaning, missing a gear unexpectedly and the bike slowing resulting in a stop. Basically, if you hinder traffic if any way, that’s not a good thing to do. You need to control the bike at all times, rather than the bike controlling you.

Yep, GQ hit the nail on the head. I was already rolling out of the junction so I wasn’t in full control of the bike. A foot down during a maneuver is a fail on MOD1 and MOD2. Seems harsh on the surface but understandable in context.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Super excited, after 6 months of loving my Duke 390 the time has come to say farewell. New bike Friday has arrived!

bazzer
    Free Member

Pictures or it didn’t happen @Bianchi-Boy 🙂

Just back from a soggy five day Almeria Euro track trip. The rain in Spain does not just fall on the plain 🙁 While you guys had the best weather for ages.

tootallpaul

Morning all… New bike Saturday for me last week.

kayak23

Nice Tootallpaul! 👌👊

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

That’s a nice looking motorcycle.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Proof that it did indeed happen!

Street Triple

benp1

Nice. I had a matt grey Street Triple R, such a fun bike

weeksy

Good thread now 🙂

Tootall, XSR700 or 900 ?

Bianchi, shiny Striple 🙂

MY 790.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/254bwPz]2019-04-25_03-16-32[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Also my ZX6R
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2fgHwJD]2019-03-21_04-27-26[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

tootallpaul

XSR900 – Traded in my Tracer 700 for her.

couchy
    Free Member

Just passed my test* and picked this up and heading to Donington park for a trackday Monday

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RB4vXz]Untitled[/url] by Tony H, on Flickr

*Not really

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I picked my Triple up on Friday morning, went for a little ride around on the way home and then parked it in the garage. It has not stopped raining since!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Nice bike Bianchi Boy,here’s mine

The Street triple forum is a good source of knowledge on all things STR

hot_fiat

Got out yesterday with the intention of doing the Northumbria blood bikes 360 challenge. Did the first hundred miles down to Teesside and headed back up to Corbridge via Eggleston. On the moors south of Stanhope a mate got a puncture. Cue 4 hours of misery while we pillioned into Stanhope to get signal and waited for the RAC in the smegging rain. Normally I always carry a plug kit and a tarp. But not today. Pooh!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just back from completing my CBT at the ripe old age of 55!

Slightly nervous beforehand but had a great time.
    I was thinking if buying the new Honda Monkey just for pottering around on – and I still might – but the instructor gave me a go on his Honda CB500X which was a bit of an eye opener!
    Plenty to think about now 🙂

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed it, I felt the same when I completed my CBT 🙂

Do you go the 125 route? Hmmm. I did, had mine for about a year before going for the bigger bike licence.

Looking back with hindsight, was it the correct thing? Not sure, probably not. Bigger bikes are no harder to ride so just go for it (but I did quite enjoy my time on the 125!).

I went out this evening for a quick blast on my MT-07 and wouldn’t want anything smaller… 😉

16stonepig
    Free Member

Well, this morning was interesting. My commute takes me up a 50-limit single-carriageway. It’s wide and straight with good sightlines. This morning, I was riding along there at around 60 (I know, tsk), when about 500m up the road an oncoming white crew van with a yellow light is moving into the right-turn refuge. I look at him. He stops. I get closer. He continues to be stopped. I carry on. He turns. At this point I am less than 100m away from him.

I seem to remember people saying things like “swerve, don’t stop”, so I try and aim behind where I think he’ll be when I get there. Yet now, finally, he sees me and slams his brakes on. Now I am aiming straight at the passenger door. I have to swerve the other way. In the end, I miss him by what feels like inches. All the time I have been avoiding slamming on the brakes because I don’t want to lock up and go in a straight line, so I am still doing about 45 (I’d guess). The whole thing happened in about 2 seconds.

The weird thing is, I saw him ages (ok, maybe 10 seconds, I wasn’t counting) before the “incident”, and something in my head told me “Watch him. Keep watching him very carefully.” and I did.

Now I need to go have a little sick.

BTW, congrats on all the passes recently! It’s not all like this, a lot of it is great fun!

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 465 total)

The topic ‘Mid-Life-Crisis (Motorbike purchase)’ is closed to new replies.