Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 465 total)
  • Mid-Life-Crisis (Motorbike purchase)
  • Vortexracing

Got out on mine after its winter layup on Friday (just local)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2eSiCKo]Untitled[/url] by eastham_david, on Flickr

and a cracking ride around the Trough of Bowland on Saturday, if a bit cold
    Looking forward to a nice summer

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dyWk84]Untitled[/url] by eastham_david, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SPz57h]Untitled[/url] by eastham_david, on Flickr

sobriety
    Free Member

My run to Doncaster last weekend with a bunch of other idiots on 2-strokes

darthpunk
    Free Member

Got out on mine after its winter layup on Friday (just local)

I like that helmet

sobriety
    Free Member

MOD 1 passed with 0 faults, which was a surprise to me as I was shitting myself and convinced I’d ballsed up a couple of things.

Time to get MOD 2 booked…

16stonepig
    Free Member

Quality work! Well done!

Vortexracing

I like that helmet

Its a Bell moto 3

And i thought mod 1 was more nerve wrecking than mod 2

boardsi
    Free Member

Loving this thread!

I passed my test 15 years ago however didn’t ever get around to to buying a bigger(work colleaque got killed on a Ducati 996 shortly afterwards)

Quite fancy getting a bike again now…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Returning to biking after a few years off and my KTM 950 SMR is a hoot to ride even on a commute.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

@sobriety Well done!

I got out for a few hours today, the roads were dry and with the impending forecast (rain) it might be my last chance for a while.

A bit nippy, but wrapped up well and had a lovely few hours of riding. Still get tailgaters though, which makes me very uneasy – I hate having a big slab of a car inches from my arse – if I stop, can they? Probably not. But I make my feelings known when stopped at traffic lights 😉

tjagain

Just a quick mention as the STW motorbikers seem to be on this thread. A mate of mine has ( long story) a bunch of aircooled yamaha RD based racing bikes to sell. One is converted for road use

Anyone interested or who knows of the best places to sell them PM me please

Vortexracing

tjagain YH PM

Furious

Sooo, the continuing story of my journey into mid-life crisisness…

Theory test passed and onto CBT. Been trying to do this alongside my wife but she really struggled on the CBT and never made it out onto the road. I, however, did get my CBT.

Mrs. Furious eventually passed her CBT on a moped as hew couldn’t get to grips with the clutch, throttle, brake sufficiently well. We have a bit of land at home so purchased a 3rd hand Honda CB125F for her to practice on before resuming lessons.

Meanwhile, I’m happily razzing round on a 650 Suzuki Gladius for my lessons and getting on famously. Yesterday was my MOD1.

Test was at 8:30am and my instructor asked me to meet him at 7 as he had a prior test to attend at 8. We’d ride up to the test center together. At 7:07 on the morning of the test I was woken by my phone with my instructor asking “Where teh f@#k I was!”. S#!t, f@#k, bo!!locks! I was going to be touch and go getting to the test center for 8:30. He told me to do what I could and that he hoped to see me there.

If only I had something I could cut through snarled up, rush hour traffic…minutes later, I’m filtering through a traffic jam on the aforementioned 125!

Got to the test center with 10 minutes to spare. The look on my instructors face was a picture as I came through the gate – he knew nothing of the little yellow Honda.

Sat in the waiting room trying to calm down and was eventually called through. Got on the Gladius and realised how different it was to the CB. Test went by in a blur. The parking test wasn’t my best effort but I guess that just nerves. Slalom, I felt was good. Figure of 8 was slower than I’d like, but I have good balance and felt comfortable. Walking pace section went fine, no wobbles. On the UTurn, I did my check-check, pulled away, did the safety and then immediately looked into the turn rather than back to straight ahead before looking where I was about to go. Would that be a fault? Did he see that? The U-Turn itself was nice and neat but I’m sure I’ve failed already.

Controlled stop felt fine and then on to my nemesis – the emergency stop and the hazard avoidance. Both were no trouble with regards to the maneuvers but in practice I regularly cracked the speed trap at 46KPH (pretty consistently, it has to be said).

On the day of the test, I came round the top bend and as I straightened up, gave it the beans. Examiner holds up his hand and I shut of the throttle and squeeze the front brake, apply some rear and pull the clutch in. No real drama, but I felt I could have pulled up a bit smarter. The examiner walked up to me and said that was 60KPH and that I don’t need to be going THAT quickly. Then it was the hazard avoidance. Went round the top, wound it up and went through the cones.

Out of the gates when indicated, park the bike, helmet off. Test over. My instructor said straight away he hoped the safety on my U-Turn was going to be enough. I knew it…

After what seemed like an eternity I was called through to the examiners office where it was difficult to detect if it was a positive outcome or not. My instructor just looked at the floor, convinced it was the small error that was going to be my downfall…

But I didn’t. I passed! Two minors – too fast on the emergency stop and not quite quick enough on the hazard avoidance (49KPH!). Phew, relieved is an understatement.

MOD2 is already booked and up next…onwards!

bazzer
    Free Member

Awesome work guys 🙂

All we need now is some decent weather again 🙂

couchy
    Free Member

I’ve had a few bikes…164 to be precise but since mountain bikes have become my main hobby I haven’t wanted a bike, it’s been a couple of months since I sold my last one but this popped up for a similar price to my mtb !, couldn’t resist and if I don’t use it I can always look at it !

16stonepig
    Free Member

Cracking work, Furious!

kayak23

since mountain bikes have become my main hobby I haven’t wanted a bike, it’s been a couple of months since I sold my last one

What a tortuous wait. 😉

ross980
    Free Member

What is that Triumph up there with the weird exhausts? I can decide if I like it, or I really like it.

kayak23
    TiRed

Non-mid-life crisis appeal please…

Teen2 has completed his CBT and needs something with a number plate to get to work, my car and a bicycle are not options I’m afraid (don’t ask, but there are serious logisics issues). Could anyone advise on a suitable machine CBR125 or other suitable 125. Price up to £2K. He’s 6 foot and 85 kilos, so something reasonably large. I’m considering direct access, rather tham CBT, and would be a named rider on his policy. I’ve always wanted a “classic” VFR.

BTW insurance for a YZF is £1250 for him, £1000 for the CBR and £700 for a PCX 125 scooter! Insurance for me is £200. Go figure.

kilo

I’d suggest a 125 scooter, not a piaggio but a Honda, yam or kymco. Sensible choice in that you get some weather protection, can stuff gar under the seat. I commute on a 250 scooter now and probably wouldn’t go back to a proper bike for town. Try sh125, kymco super 8

ta11pau1

I’ve had a few bikes…164 to be precise but since mountain bikes have become my main hobby I haven’t wanted a bike, it’s been a couple of months since I sold my last one but this popped up for a similar price to my mtb !, couldn’t resist and if I don’t use it I can always look at it !

2003 RSV-R, nice!

I am biased of course owning a gen 2 tuono factory.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

@TiRed
    The Yamaha MT-125 are nice bikes and size wise are bigger so would suit someone 6 foot. £2K *should* get you something quite nice, have a look on AutoTrader.

I’m considering direct access, rather tham CBT, and would be a named rider on his policy.

You still have to do a CBT even via the DAS.

Vortexracing

What is that Triumph up there with the weird exhausts? I can decide if I like it, or I really like it.

Street Scrambler I believe.

you sir are spot on, 🙂

I have a Vance and Hines de catted pipe to pop on it when I can get round to it. 🙂

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I really like it. Want.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Was at the Scottish bike show today. Not the greatest turnout from manufacturers but enough stuff to look at. New Triumph Speed Twin was really nice 👌. Sorely tempted.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve decided that it’s time for a change with mine so the Street Triple is going and looking at a Tiger to replace it.

Time to start pestering dealers for test rides 😀

allthegear
    Free Member

I’ve been travelling again. Borrowed a friend’s Royal enfield last week for a bit of a ride around the area near Goa.

Might have accidentally knocked up 250km 😎

Rachel

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Put the deposit down on the Street Triple 765 RS today, pick up next week so hope the weather is kind!

mboy
    Free Member

Top job to those recently passing their tests! Now to get the mileage in…

couchy, lovely late gen1 RSV-R, but for god’s sake get that exhaust off and let the sound out!

ta11pau1, have owned both a Gen2 RSVR and Gen1 RSV, great bikes, much maligned because of some consistent (but easily rectified) gremlins, but a highly effective bike even now!

FWIW, don’t know if you guys are familiar with Aprilia Performance, Griff who runs it is the font of all knowledge for anything Aprilia in the UK, he’s a top bloke, pretty handy on an MTB too (was out with him @ Cannock last weekend). ANY issues with the bike at all, he’s your man… Based in Tamworth so fairly central to the UK, but he’s got huge stocks of spare parts and will post next day to anywhere in the UK, he’s always on the end of the phone for advice, and he’s super active on their Facebook page with advice… Great community too, and their annual meetups are the stuff of legend! When I can afford it, my next bike will most likely be a Tuono 1100 V4, Griff keeps offering me a go on his but I fear I’d find a way to afford one a little sooner than I should if I did!

Currently got this as my main ‘ped…

RC8

Only had it since Christmas, done all of about 300 miles on it in that time so not used to it yet, but it’s got one hell of a chassis, and a supremely grunty engine! The MT-10 was a superb bit of kit for 15-20 mile back road blasts, but for longer trips I found the lack of fairing and the bolt upright position annoying, so decided to sell and split my budget… Bought the RC8 as a “bucket list” bike, and bought another 5th Gen VFR800 (a late 2001 bike this time) as a winter/hack/touring bike to keep the RC8 company in the garage… Done about 1500 miles on that one since November, and it hasn’t missed a beat!

I have a Vance and Hines de catted pipe to pop on it when I can get round to it.

Just picked up a Jester exhaust for my RC8… Same as this…

That should wake the dead!

Just a quick mention as the STW motorbikers seem to be on this thread. A mate of mine has ( long story) a bunch of aircooled yamaha RD based racing bikes to sell. One is converted for road use

Anyone interested or who knows of the best places to sell them PM me please

Facebook groups and/or ebay… Fixed price for cars/motorbikes on ebay, so you don’t get a nasty 10%+ shock at the end of the sale… Yamaha RD’s are skyrocketing in value, and now’s the right time of year to be selling, so get them up there QUICK!

Returning to biking after a few years off and my KTM 950 SMR is a hoot to ride even on a commute.

The original-modern hooligan bike! Chapeau sir 😀

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@TiRed Honda XLV125 Varadero for your young un. Good size and capable.

kayak23

Nearly put mine into the back of a Ford Focus today that decided to drop it’s anchor. 😳

Front wheel skid and power wobble and everything. Must remember that nothing is predictable. 😬

Vortexracing

New Triumph Speed Twin was really nice 👌. Sorely tempted.

2nd that, I think it’s my next one after this Street Scrambler, I would have a Scrambler 1200, but I can’t touch the floor 🙁

If, and it’s a big if, I convince the Mrs to go touring in Europe in the next couple of years then it will be a lowered Tiger instead.

kilo

Just picked up a Jester exhaust for my RC8… Same as this…

That should wake the dead!

I have to say I really can’t stand loud pipes, unnecessary and a major pita. Crappy Harley’s, race wannabes and tossers on 125s all seem to have think horrendous noise pollution is acceptable.

allthegear
    Free Member

I don’t get the weird obsession with a loud exhaust, either. Feels all a little “inadequate”.

Rachel

mboy
    Free Member

Ah, awesome, a couple of killjoys to kill the mood! 🤦🏻‍♂️

I guess my 6” travel full sus bike is overkill for riding my local trails on and makes me look inadequate too? 😂

Anyway, I have a baffle for it don’t worry… And if you don’t think loud pipes save lives, try a louder exhaust! You’d be amazed how little people see, but if they can hear you too…

Bet you wear “polite” vests! 😂😂😂

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I don’t get the weird obsession with a loud exhaust, either.

Same here,I think it’s selfish subjecting everyone else to the noise your engine makes. I’ve got a 675R Street Triple,IMHO one of the best sounding engines out there but I run a standard exhaust system,just because I love the sound doesn’t mean everyone else is of the same opinion.
    If you’ve ever rode one the 675 induction roar is also addictive.

kilo

Anyway, And if you don’t think loud pipes save lives, try a louder exhaust! You’d be amazed how little people see, but if they can hear you too…

That old canard, don’t remember any of my bike instructors coming out with loud pipes as a risk mitigation factor.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

My MT-07 is ultra quiet, I like it that way. No intention of changing that, either.

Not a killjoy, just my personal preference.

wiggles
    Free Member

Maybe a slightly early to this one (not quite 30 yet!) But moving house soon and will have my own garage for the first time. So obviously want a bike..

Been cars for last few years with a few fun rwd jap cars but needed to sell to buy the house and new job requires a more sensible car so having bike as a toy make a lot more sense than a 3rd car being squeezed in somewhere

Never had a bike, but my dad had them when I was younger and a lot of my mates have 600 sports bikes…

Deciding atm whether to do CBT and get a cheap 125 for a year then do the big boy test or just go straight for a ‘big’ bike and get something 600ish from the start…

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Absolutely loving my MLC! Passed full test in Nov 18 and have been racking up the miles on this ever since.

Duke 390

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 465 total)

The topic ‘Mid-Life-Crisis (Motorbike purchase)’ is closed to new replies.