Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Mid life crisis BMX, help me please
  • chillidave
    Free Member

The N+1 urge is kicking in and for a large portion of the year MTB isn’t really an option so I fancy scratching the BMX itch for building skills and having some urban fun. I’m fortunate to have some pump tracks and skate parks pretty close, I even have a world championship BMX track 10 minutes away.

I’ve a budget of about £350 and that seems to be able to get me a full crmo frame and fork, with 20″ wheels. I’m 6’1″ so looks like a 21″ frame is the biggest I can get within budget, is there anything else I should look out for and how about protective gear?

Or will I just regret it, break all my bones and die in front of kids half my age?

Thanks all

matthew_h
    Free Member

Might this be of interest?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-unridden-saracen-amplitude-terminal-bmx

Well within your budget.

I’m 6’4″ for reference

lardman
    Free Member

Or will I just regret it, break all my bones and die in front of kids half my age?

probably

nach
    Free Member

Get some decent knee, shin and elbow pads. BMX tracks can be pretty unforgiving when you fall on them.

Custom Riders site is a pain in the arse when it comes to sizing and stock, but they usually have some heftily discounted bikes.

mildred

Have you considered a 24″ cruiser? Though I rode 20″ as a spotty yoof, when after years of road & Mtb I went back to bmx I couldn’t get on with them. I had a try of a mate’s cruiser & the difference didn’t seem as stark.

mildred

To whet you appetite here’s my recently built dialled mx24:

pickle
    Free Member

£350 is a good budget for a BMX. Customriders is a great shop which has been family run from the 80’s.

21″ top tube will be great as that’s what I ride and I’m 6′ 2″

that budget should buy you sealed bearings all round and a full cromo frame and forks.

I’ll have a look at their site and post up some links if that’s okay?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Are you mainly going to be riding the skatepark, or the pump tracks / BMX tracks? This will influence the style of BMX that would suit best. A cruiser like mildred’s is fun at the pump track but not as good at the skatepark as a regular BMX like the ones pickle linked to.
    Are you going for the full BMX experience? If so stick with a 20″, it will feel strange at first but after a couple of weeks you’ll get on fine and should be able to switch back to your MTB no worries.
    As for protection, I’d get a p1ss pot helmet for the skatepark, and a full face for the track. You’ll need it if you crash. Knee and elbow pads are a good idea at the track as well but a full face a long pants would be my minimum.

chillidave
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, some great stuff here. I have a piss pot type helmet and some mtb knee/elbow guards that were skin eaters while pedaling all day which I think could do a good job. A full face I’ll look in to.

Steve – I’m not really sure which area I’d use it most, I’m thinking something quite all-round would be good, if such a bike exists.

Mathew – it’s a lovely looking bike but I have two issues, I can’t find the sizing online and I’m in Copenhagen so postage would probably be prohibitive.

Mildred – I saw your thread on that cruiser, utterly lovely looking bike, I quite fancy going all in and trying the 20″ wheels.

Pickle & Nash – thanks I had spent a while on there but sifting through to find the right size meant I got a bit lost. Appreciate the recommendations for their service though and the suggestions, that Subrosa is quite tasty at first glance.

matthew_h
    Free Member

No worries. Pretty sure that the TT on my bike is 20.5″ but feels a bit longer than that. I have access to a courier that can send internationally so it might not be too bad.

toby1

For balance I have a 24″, but when I try my mates 20″ out I realise that is probably what I should have got too. The 24″ is a bit more stable and predictable, the 20″ feels like a small pile of crazy under you as it buzzes along.

You need a noisy hub for good effect.

Also padded pants is my recommendation, splitting the vein to the side of your coccyx on the hip of a kicker is bad as it bleeds internally and makes your butt a weird shape.

Coyote
    Free Member

I felt obliged to build a BMX as part of my mid life crisis. It was a wrecked Mongoose Culture bought off my nephew. Never used it in anger but it’s great fun racing my 12 y/o son up and down the road.

Get one. You need one.

Harry_the_Spider

I scratched my BMX itch last year.

This week I tried cycle speedway… and now I want one.

flashes
    Free Member

I talked myself out of a BMX but we do have a Speedway track up the road which no none tends to use. I’d love to try that and get a few of my mates to come along for a laugh. The annoying thing is there’s a container with bikes in next to the track, no one responds to calls, emails, so they’re just locked away…………grrr

sharkattack

The annoying thing is there’s a container with bikes in next to the track, no one responds to calls, emails, so they’re just locked away…………grrr

ryan91
    Free Member

There are stacks of BMX’s on WinstanleysBMX on offer right now, a full 4130 chromo frame, forks and handlebars are a pre-requisite and ideally a good brand reputation to back it up. I’d go for this as it looks a killer bike for the money: http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/75484/Haro_Plaza_2015_BMX_Bike

Where about are you out of interest ?

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Just for choice and value for money I would advise a race bike at your height. There will be more scope for a longer top tube, 21.5 or 22 inch (or longer) and there are plenty of deals cropping up on eBay or BMX Talk. £350 will get you good second hand bike if you hunt/are patient. There is also a BMX Trader group on Facebook that has a load of stuff cropping up.

I’m 5′ 9″ and have a 21.5 cruiser and 21″ BMX. Both great.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Steve – I’m not really sure which area I’d use it most, I’m thinking something quite all-round would be good, if such a bike exists.

It does, and it’s pretty much the bike I built last –

Skatepark bikes generally have top tubes 21″ or less, chainstays around 13.25-13.75″ and head angle around 75 degrees.
    race bikes at your height will have top tubes 21.5″+ , chainstays 15″+ and head angle of around 74 degrees (slack doesn’t really work on a a BMX…)
    I’m 6′ and this is a 21.25″ frame, with 14.25″ chainstays and a 74.5 degree head angle. Worked best at the dirt jumps but also great at the track and the skatepark, especially as I was more into jumping and flow rather than triple tailwhips and front flips.
    See if you can find a bike aimed more at the dirt jump scene to get a good all round bike, although beware some may be overbuilt as DJ can be harsh on frame/forks and cranks.

Something like this would be great with a fresh set of tyres –
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1975846/

(Deluxe are a really good trails oriented BMX company).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Mid life crisis BMX, help me please’ is closed to new replies.