mid-event feeding. what do you like?

Home Forum Bike Forum mid-event feeding. what do you like?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • mid-event feeding. what do you like?
  • soma_rich

Fig roles

Dyffers

Bacon sarnies

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Duck a l’Orange.

monkeychild

Livestock, raw.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon Pik n Mix
    Subscriber

Vols-au-vents

lemonysam

If you could pop down to the Moody Baker in Alston and grab some of their savoury Chelsea buns that would be ideal.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

Italian shoulder

fasthaggis

๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Lobster and caviar.

brakes

ham sandwich
    egg sandwich
    flapjack
    brownie
    banana
    orange
    coffee
    tea

timb34

Non-timed mountain bike ride – Baguette and patรฉ (and maybe red wine). Orange segments if it’s hot.
    Mountain bike race – One of whatever they’ve got, as fast as possible (small energy bars, fruit pate, bits of banana)
    Road ride – Pain d’epice, bananas, bars. Maybe a gel for later.

Mmmm

timb34

Oh, and if it’s Christmas then Oysters, Foie Gras and white wine please:

Premier Icon boxelder
    Subscriber

If it was a nice long race over the North Pennines in July, I’d say half bananas, malt loaf, crisps, fig rolls, energy bars if poss, maybe butties.
    Flap jack is too dry usually.

steve_b77

Bugger all generally, but the odd pork power bar (sausage roll) does go down well, that and a few ready salted crisps

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

They had salted boiled spuds at the Dragon Ride. I ate two.

HTH

๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon JAG
    Subscriber

Fig role, Flapjack and Tea with sugar ๐Ÿ˜€

ninfan

Best I ever saw was a huge stack of Jam butties, bananas, mugs of tea and then unexpectedly a load of hard boiled eggs, still in their shells – they were a revelation, wonderful little portions of protein.

Consider speaking to the WRVS in return for a donation!

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

If you’re doing an all-day organised ride and there’s a feed station partway round, what sort of food do you like to see?

Bananas and cake? Energy gels? Pies and beer?

Premier Icon chrispo
    Subscriber

I rather enjoyed quiche and potatoes at my last event, and I normally hate quiche

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

Coffee, nice cake and bananas. No need for any fancy energy products. Charlie’s Gravel dash had it right.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Cheese burger (real one not macshits) and proper chips with sauce.

Though the best actual mid stage feed (multi day XC) was good sarnies, danish pastries, lots of fruit and bananas with lots of sweets too.

legolam

Pies and beer sounds awesome. Maybe some cake for seconds. Coffee might be nice too. None of this gels and electrolyte tablets – it’ll only attract the wrong sort ๐Ÿ˜‰

A good selection of sweet and savoury is good I think. Doing the Etape Eryri I was overjoyed to see some bitesize cheese rolls as I was sick of sweet tasting energy bars/drinks/gels. Oh and a huge box of Haribo that people can just grab a handful of! Slices of oranges, plenty of water and bitesize bananas too.

scaled

If jam butties are good enough for Graeme Obree then they’re good enough for me

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

Thanks all. Some good ideas there.

Lemonysam: I’m already on the case with the Moody Baker. Went to see her on friday.

scud

Echo the new potatoes with salt at Dragon Ride above, worked quite well and nice to have something savoury after so much sweet stuff.

Malt loaf is a favourite too.

Worst event was bananas, with banana flavoured gels and a tropical sports drink that tasted of bananas, guess what i really don’t like??

pondo

Seems like everything I eat on long rides tends to be sweet, so anything without sugar would be marvelous.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Bananas for me. Though they’re always green or yellow, no proper black ones. Crisps would be awesome!

Milkie

Peanut Butter & Jam sarnies…. Mmmm and then some Flapjack… Sugar overload!!

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Seems like everything I eat on long rides tends to be sweet, so anything without sugar would be marvelous.

I’m quite fond of making up cheese, mayonaise and sweetcorn sandwiches for long rides. Plenty of energy in full fat mayonaise, so no need to hold back on that, and the liquid makes them easy to eat without soaking the bread.

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

The cheese on toast at the Kirkland Inn was a revelation on the recent trial by Fred Whitton day. There was a fancy salsa to spread on the top. Best. Food. Ever!
    Oh and bitter shandy (well I’m in the South) a fantastic drink mid-event.

Premier Icon boxelder
    Subscriber

OOOooooh…….. Kirkstile Inn cheese on toast with a pint of Gold………….

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

That’s the one boxeider, I think I had adulterated Gold for a drink! I will go and think about what I have done.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Don’t underestimate the power of savoury – most people will be swigging sweet energy drinks and gels, and something savoury and solid makes a really welcome stage.

From experience of audax events, ham sandwiches, cheese sandwiches, sausage rolls all go down well. As does fruit cake, fig rolls and Victoria sponge.

Audaxers also seem to love beans on toast or eggs on toast, but not easy at a normal feed stop.

I suspect that any audax rider who remain skinny is missing the point!

Premier Icon breadcrumb
    Subscriber

Pork pie, scotch egg, cheese sandwich, Kendal mintcake, nice crisps, cake.

Beverage wise can’t go wrong with a good brew. Although a nice light ale could be enjoyable too.

When I did the Kielder 100 I took a extra cheese roll from Newcastleton, it was the best cheese roll I’ve ever had!

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

As a loyal Dyfi Enduroer you understand the power of a mid-ride sausage roll and a near-completion pint.

There was also a “Gourmet Kiwi Pie Company” (or something similar) based (I saw their van there) in Gosforth, who were ok ๐Ÿ˜‰

Premier Icon Speshpaul
    Subscriber

“Beverage wise can’t go wrong with a good brew”
    I could have killed for a brew on the Rhayader Marathon.
    Malt loaf, jelly babies flapjack.

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

Savoury is definately going to be on the menu then. And tea if possible.

a near-completion pint

Allendale are providing barrel of beer for that very reason. Probably at the bottom of the final descent, about 50 yards from the end ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

Allendale are providing barrel of beer for that very reason. Probably at the bottom of the final descent, about 50 yards from the end

That’s close enough to the finish that folk might not even bother riding onwards… :mrgreen: or come back for seconds ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

or of course just ride to the end pint in hand ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘mid-event feeding. what do you like?’ is closed to new replies.