Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Mid afternoon lull…
  • the-muffin-man

Anyone else get this!?

I get to this sort of time every afternoon at work and just feel completely flat.

The drive has gone and the clock is going slower! 🙂

Now if it weren’t for those pesky customers I could grab a nap! 😴

a11y

I just went for a 30min lie down to recharge as I was being useless here at the desk. Didn’t work!

stumpyjon

Have this afternoon, I’m working from home, the weather isn’t nice, the house is cold (I’m too tight to put the heating on) and the meetings are not quite back to back but not far enough apart to do anything useful in between. Might clock off early after the next meeting, it’s not like I don’t put the hours in. Can’t be 100% all the time.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

My early morning lull has gradually shifted to the afternoon.

I can’t see it changing and it’s probably going to last all week 🤣

tthew

I’ve just had one of those 10 minute periods where you can barely keep you’re eyes open in a Zoom meeting. I’m sure everybody knows.

ocrider

We have a sofa in the corner of the shop for exactly this time of the day!

easily
    Free Member

I do get this sometimes. A few weeks ago I was sitting right next to someone who was showing me a new computer system, and I could barely keep my eyes open. So embarrassing.

I’ve found the best way to deal with it is to get up and walk around for a bit. I’ve even said this to my boss, who luckily is quite understanding.

nbt

Used to get this after going for a lunchtime curry in the town centre = the korma coma

flannol
    Free Member

Go for a run/workout @ lunch. Feel mega! weirdly makes one less hungry too (anecdotal…)

TheBrick
    Free Member

I find it fits quite nicely in-between the post lunch lull and the pre finish wind down.

spooky_b329

I used to get tired whilst driving home mid afternoon. I think it was due to a late morning coffee followed by a very busy/frantic 11-14:00 where I wouldn’t get time to make another, and then I’d normally grab the opportunity to make a break for home and so I could carry on and not still be in the office at 18:00 with a commute still to come. The 30 minute drive would be the only respite from constant calls and problems as my phone would auto reject everyone whilst I was driving, so I think it was a bit of exhaustion/wind down/caffeine slump!

jambourgie
    Free Member

Three pints of Guinness with lunch can make me lethargic in the afternoon.

reeksy

I stopped getting this when I quit eating sugar.

The other way to avoid it is to eat sugar just before it starts 🤣

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I stopped getting this when I quit eating sugar.

+1

Well I didn’t stop completely, but cut out the sugary snacks etc..
    Also a walk or something helps

shermer75
    Free Member

Depends on what I have for lunch, staying off carbs and sugary snacks have put an end to it for me

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve tried different foods at lunchtime, going for a walk etc, but between 1.30-2.30ish, my brain turns to mush and I have the concentration of a goldfish on a bad day.

If I work from home, I will sometimes have a little power nap and I’m fine after half an hour. Maybe I’m part Spanish…

TheBrick
    Free Member

Depends on what I have for lunch, staying off carbs

What do you have for lunch? I usually have a sandwich or noodles. Anything that keeps me not reaching for the snacks is carb heavy.

welshfarmer

No I am well past 50, in the absence of anything urgent, I always have a 30 minute snooze in the chair after lunch… just like my father did and my grandfather before him!

johnners
    Free Member

Three pints of Guinness with lunch can make me lethargic in the afternoon

I found that too. A couple of times in double maths I nearly dropped off.

oldnick

After my C19 booster yesterday my afternoon slump arrived at 7am, thank God it’s raining so I can have a day without ladders!

And I must get a diabetes test, a scare would get me off the sugar rollercoaster once and for all.

benp1

If it’s boredom that’s one thing, but if you’re genuinely feeling sleepy then have a look at what you have for lunch. Could be a contributor. Anything with a high GI could make you feel sleepy a little while later

didnthurt

That’s what a cup of tea and a biscuit was made for.

I tend to grab 15 minutes nap at lunchtime so am more alert in the afternoon.

Also don’t eat a big lunch you’ll feel sleepy after 😴

reeksy

To be fair the OPs username may be pointing directly to the cause of the problem

slowoldman

I do get this sometimes. A few weeks ago I was sitting right next to someone who was showing me a new computer system, and I could barely keep my eyes open. So embarrassing.

Don’t worry. As someone who has presented a lot of computer training we know it’s dull and sends people to sleep.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yes

But then we had a selection of Swiss/French/Italian cheeses for morning tea and a lovely almond and cherry cake
    (Friday is our MDT meeting and whoever chairs provides morning tea). Today was our Swiss Psychiatrist’s turn to chair hence the lovely spread.

And the 230pm snoozies.

Plus the office is 25c.

Kryton57

Gosh, I wish this happened to me. I’m currently having days whereby I’m starting at 8am, squeezing in a Sandwich in the middle of the day then the next thing I know it’s 6pm.

Then again, I don’t like being bored and lethargic.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.