Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Microspline rear hubs/wheels – I’m happy to just pick 2
  • submarined
    Free Member

I’ve got a new (Boost) frame on the way, and most bits are compatible, except the old one was non boost. I could just transfer the bits over and boostify the rear hub (Pro4)

However, I’ve also got some 12sp Deore which came off another bike (that I was going to sell), but I’m thinking I could put on this bike instead. That would mean a new driver _and_ a boost kit for the rear, which is starting to get expensive. The rear wheel could do with a new rim anyways, so was idly looking at buying/building a new rear.
    However, options (and availability) of boost, MS rear hubs or wheels seems extremely limited.
    So far it appears to be high end (240, King, i9) or Shimano. Which I don’t really want as I’m too lazy to play with loose bearings.
    Am I missing anything?
    Are there any reasonably priced, boost, Microspline rear hubs around? Or even better, whole wheels with reasonable prices?
    Doesn’t have to be the lightest, but tough ish would be nice.

There are hardly any black Pro4s around, even if I were to bit the bullet and pay a bit more.

andy5390

SJS have the boosted microspline freehub for £75

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/hope-pro-4-shimano-microspline-freehub-142-x-12mm-or-boost/

Don’t know if that means you’ll need another adaptor/end cap for the non drive side though

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve not done this personally so this is just theory, but…

Can’t you use the freehub above and get the boost conversion kit for the pro4?

I think it comes with a new drive side axle spacer and an extra washer which I believe us used with micro drive and micro spline freehubs, but not needed for HG and XD.

submarined
    Free Member

Cheers parole. Yeah, like you say, I could do that, but by the time I have I’m about £100 deep into modifying a hub on a wheel with a questionable rim.

As someone pointed out to me on another thread, it may make more sense to just sell the old him and build a new wheel with a new hub. Just can’t see many options for that at the moment!
    (Forgot to say, 27.5)

CRC are listing the Nukeproof Neutron for 160ish with Microspline. Anyone got any experience?

dhrider
    Free Member

CRC are listing the Nukeproof Neutron for 160ish with Microspline. Anyone got any experience?

That’s what I was about to suggest. New wheels and all spares available for the hubs should you ever need them.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Don’t forget, your existing freehub has decent second hand value if it’s in good nick.

submarined
    Free Member

That’s a good point, but it requires me separating an XD cassette from the freehub it’s been on for 4 years…

endomick
    Free Member

The driveside end cap for Hopes microspline is 24.6mm long, pre MS 142 & boost use the same cap for which is 16.6, the one that came with my Hope boost conversion is 19.25 ( expected it to be 19.6) .
    I asked Hope a few months ago and they didn’t have an endcap for using microspline with their boost conversion.
    The microspline freehub will come with endcap that fits 142 and 148 hub.
    I just ended up buying a microspline boost hub.

swanny853

Endomick- my boost kit came with an extra spacer to go between the end cap and a microspline freehub.

I wonder if it’s a ‘when you bought it’ thing I.e. pre/post microspline

bigginge

As an alternative you could look at getting a Shimano FH-MT410-B hub for your wheel. Unlike most other Shimano hubs these ones don’t use cup and cone bearings (you’ll need to look up the bearing replacement in the dealer manual for proof) but they do have a micro spline free hub, boost spacing and can be had for less than £30 here:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-fh-mt410-b-center-lock-rear-hub-12x148mm-959786

They also come in black

endomick
    Free Member

Swanny853, the only extra spacer in my kit was a 2mm one for using with Hope’s own freehub, if that’s what you’re referring to, do Hope say its okay to use that for MS, surely it’s a 1mm shy, I can’t find any newer version of the kit that I’ve got.
    I don’t regret buying a new hub, its always good to have a spare wheel.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Microspline rear hubs/wheels – I’m happy to just pick 2’ is closed to new replies.