Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Microsoft Surface Pro 4 screen problems. Anyone else experience?
  • Philby

I have a 4.5 year old MS Surface Pro 4 which has been excellent until a month ago when the screen started flickering and images ghosting when the unit gets hot. This is a known problem for this model Surface but MS will only repair under warranty those under 3 years old.

I have had the screen replaced, but that has not resolved the problem – in fact it has got worse. Has anyone else had this problem with their Surface and managed to find a workable solution?

slowbloke
    Free Member

We had lots of them start doing it at work. Mine was the first. We tried all sorts. Removing the case from mine to keep it cooler worked for a while then it came back. We ended up replacing them all in the end.

keir
    Free Member

What slowbloke said. I’m in the IT and we now have a small pile of SP4 that do this. They’re ok when being used lightly but can’t be worked hard any more.

You could dock it and use it on a monitor I suppose…

JohnnyPanic

As above, in IT and we have a fair amount of SP4’s with this issue. MS replace the younger ones but not aware of any fix other than using them with a docking station / external monitor.

whatgoesup

Mine doesn’t – despite being dropped onto a wooden floor and now having an interesting “bend” in the screen on one corner – apart from some slight discolouration in that corner the screen is working fine.

What is more annoying is that the Type keyboard stopped working (not at the same time as the screen drop issue) a replacement is also not working and trying a friends working keyboard didn’t fix it. Reinstalled drivers etc – not even working in the bios and I’ve resorted to a Bluetooth keyboard which works but isn’t as good as the proper Microsoft keyboard.

Any ideas re how to fix it ?

Philby

Thanks for the replies – looks like it’s pointless spending more money to resolve the problem with the screen. Fortunately I have an external monitor and docking station so will have to make do with that for the forseeable future and ensure that I don’t have too many programmes / tabs open at the same time. Really disappointing for something that cost over £800 and clearly any solution is more complicated and expensive than replacing the screen.

slowbloke
    Free Member

You’ve probably checked but fluff in the connector on the surface itself? Not seen it on a surface but I’ve “fixed” a few phones that won’t charge with a cocktail stick and a bit of gentle digging.

whatgoesup

You’ve probably checked but fluff in the connector on the surface itself?

Yes, the connector is defluffed and clean. Even had a quick buff up with contact cleaner and an earbud but to no avail.

It’s apparently a common issue, firmware related and non-fixable. I’m hoping someone on here has the knowledge to recommend a miracle fix.

Given this and the propensity to screen issues above which I wasn’t aware of I’m certainly not buying a Surface pro again, unless the latest models are somehow much more robustly engineered and repairable

damascus
    Free Member

Seems a common problem at my work. As above a big pile that need fixing.

When it first boots up is it fine but after it’s heated up it starts to flicker? Mines just been replaced, would be OK to around mid day then un useable after that.

Have you changed the power settings to the lowest or balanced? That sometimes works but didn’t on mine.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Microsoft Surface Pro 4 screen problems. Anyone else experience?’ is closed to new replies.