Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Microchip catflap experiences?
  • bearnecessities

Can anyone recommend one that’s less than £100? Seems a heck of a whack…

(To follow will be a thread of how to change the feature panel on a door, as googling of no help at all..)

rickmeister

Our experience is pretty poor.

First of all, got shredded holding the cat under the thing to code it to the chip. Then the cat wasnt patient enough to get it working so just punched his way out….

Our ordinary cat flap was fine and we enjoyed meeting our cats friends.

bearnecessities

got shredded holding the cat under the thing to code it to the chip

Oh, it’s the actual CAT microchip? I stupidly assumed it was a collar chip or suchlike…

Our ordinary cat flap was fine and we enjoyed meeting our cats friends

You haven’t seen the feral flea-bags around here. My little lord fauntleroy would get distressed at such low class moggies marking his home.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    enfht
    Free Member

bearnecessities

Not only is that unhelpful, it’s made me consider a trip to chippy. 😀

seb
    Free Member

Ours is great. I bought a pet mate cat flap.
    I also bought a tag to put on the cat’s collar as it was easier to teach.
    I tried to teach the cat’s microchip but I got s scratched.

bearnecessities

Have you got a link to that and the tag please?

chrispy

I have one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SureFlap-Ltd-Microchip-Door–White/dp/B003EGIM3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372872208&sr=8-1&keywords=sureflap

and I can’t fault it.. took my rather thick cat a while to work out but otherwise its been great not having half the neighbourhood cats in the house. To program, just press a button and push the cat through and its done :D.

flowergirl
    Free Member

We’ve got a SureFlap Microchip cat flap for our three cats. So long as your cats are used to cat flaps then its easy to set. You just push a button to set it to ‘learn” and wait for the cat to come in. It reads the chip in the cat and that’s it! They don’t have a collar and tag to lose so the only cost is the batteries in the catflap.
    My cats used to lose a collar and tag every week between them, so it was costing a fortune! Got ours from t’internet, easy animal has them at the mo for just over £60.

ivorhogseye
    Free Member
    tonyg2003

Hi. We have a SureFlap. I know the company owners who are based in Cambridge – very nice people.

It reads your cats underskin microchips (no collars required) and works really well. For cat nerds you can even hook it up to a webcam.

The SureFlaps folks (at the Uni) developed a new microchip scanning tech and were looking for an application to demonstrate it’s utility. They only made a few cat flaps for friends but the business just took off. It a cool backstory.

brokensoul
    Free Member

We got a Petporte one for our three boys when one of the neighbourhood cats started coming through the old flap, finishing off any food and spraying in the house.
    If it broke, we’d be getting another. We got it from Pet Planet for less than £100. That was a year or two since, though.

rOcKeTdOg

been a revelation, no neighbourhood cats in our house and no fights through the cat flap, cat took 5 seconds to get used to it, cost about £79

peachos
    Free Member

SureFlap. can’t go wrong. never had any issues.

JRTG
    Free Member

Pet Porte here, brilliant and still going strong. As with others keeps the local bully’s out and as we lock our cats in at night, the night mode is brilliant (auto locks the flap when it’s dark and you set the levels so we do before dusk/ after dawn so there is less wildlife kill).

dan1980
    Free Member

I can strongly recommend the sureflap cat flap.

Once I’d got Ollie chipped and he was ready to go out, I installed the flap and just had it set up as a normal flap for the first few days whilst he got used to it.

Then I turned on the programming and let him go through, so it read his microchip.

Once set up to use his chip ID, he initially, because of the click of the magnet, was reluctant to come in/go out, so an hour or so holding treats the other side of the flap encouraged him to go through. Now he’s used to it and happy to run in and out whenever he feels like it.

I’ve seen him in next doors house, who have a normal flap, and I’ve seen their cat stare longingly through my cat flap trying to get in.

There’s a little mirror thing on the inside of the tunnel that needs to be kept clean, so if your cat is a dirty little scrote like mine, occasionally you’ll need to wipe it down with a damp cloth. I’ve had to do that once in 7 months, so it’s not really a chore.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Got a pet Porte about 5 years ago when we moved house as we kept finding other cats in our house. Final straw was finding the previous owners cat on our bed!

Only problem we’ve had with it was when we left the door open and the control unit side got very wet. Pet Porte sent me a new circuit board for it free of charge. Thinking of upgrading to a newer model though as the old one is quite draughty. New model also has battery back up and I think a better placement of the buttons and power connector.

Had no problem programming it (just the usual scratches.)

seb
    Free Member

This is the pet door we use:
    Pet Safe door
    This is the tag:
    Tag

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I found little purr-formance improvement when I got ours chipped. Did even less than before.

Coat please!

footflaps

We’ve got a Pet-porte cat flap. Cost about £65 from Amazon. Cats came chipped from the Blue Cross. I had to make a small step for them when they were small, to get their shoulders near enough to the sensor for it to work. Other than that, it works fine.

Pet Porte Cat Flap by brf, on Flickr

Cat steps by brf, on Flickr

roger_mellie

Our cat’s chip is fairly well buried in his neck/ shoulder, so the chip flap didn’t work and had to go back. Probably a rare issue I would think.

clubber
    Free Member

sureflap here too. nothing to say other than it works.

samuri
    Free Member

Never, ever make the cat flap in only rather than in and out.
    Unless of course you want to find out just how many cats visit your house when you’re not there.

We accidentally did this and came back after work to find five cats in our house. We only own two. obviously on finding themselves locked in they went on a shitting and pissing spree.

footflaps

The Horizon program on cats was interesting for how many cats nipped into other houses for a quick free feed. Would be pointless in our house as the cats never leave any food in their bowls.

pictonroad

Sureflap been in for 2 years. Best £80 I’ve spent tbh, people round here seem to regard neutering their cats as unnecessary. I got royally sick of constant stink. Not had another cat in once since the sure flap.

qwerty
    Free Member

Sureflap +1

fasthaggis

Footflaps. Those steps are hilarious 😀

bruk

We sell the Sureflap one at work and have had no issues with anyone having any difficulties with it.

Works well and battery powered so no wires needed and easy to set for your cat.

Great for cats that react badly to intruders.

bearnecessities

Brilliant set of info; thanks 😀

mrmo
    Free Member

(To follow will be a thread of how to change the feature panel on a door, as googling of no help at all..)

do a google for how to remove the beading from a double glazed window. I am assuming you have a upvc door? the construction technique is the same.

bearnecessities

Cheers mrmo; I’ll do that.

zokes
    Free Member

They are not cheap but what you pay in cat flap you save in destroyed carpets.

I have a cheaper solution:

1) Open door
    2) Wait for cat to depart
    3) Close door
    4) Listen to loud music for a while so you can’t here it whining to be let back in

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Microchip catflap experiences?’ is closed to new replies.