• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Micro spline + singlespeed?
  • MarcSussex
    Free Member

I am looking at a wheelset, for a new frame, which I will want to run SS for c. 6 months of the year. Also with the current lack of groupset availability I wish to initially set it up SS.

Can you run a normal SS cog on a microspline freehub? I assume the spacing is different to HG and therefore the answer is no. If that’s not possible is there a solution out there for microspline freehubs, I don’t really want to have to change the freehub switching from gears to SS (and don’t have the money for 2x rear wheels set up differently).

Thanks for any help.

DanW
    Free Member

At the moment the answer is no to SS and Microspline AFAIK. There was some discussion on MTBR about Boone making a Microspline sprocket but it is early days (and that would be pricy!)

Much better to source an HG freehub for the wheelset for the SS months. Most hubs it is a literally 2 second job and a good excuse to check inside for wear/ broken bits and give a regrease

DanW
    Free Member

eek thin!

Are spacers pretty much the same size to fit on Microspline?

kayla1
    Free Member

You can use HG spacers on a Microspline freehub if you’re not fussy. There’s a few mm difference in diameter, obviously, because #yetanothernewstandard 🙄 HG is ~35mm (might be 1 3/8″) and I think MS is 32mm, but I can’t remember exactly.

The Microspline cogs bite into the freehub less than an HG one does as there are more splines taking the load. They’ll still eat into an aluminium freehub as much as a separate cog cassette does but they’re fine on steel.

MarcSussex
    Free Member

Thanks for the info all.

I hadn’t looked it 12 speed previously, so didn’t initially realise it used a different freehub.

I think i’ll just purchase a spare HG freehub to use for singlespeed use, a little bit of hassle but seems unavoidable until a better solution is available for microspline.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Option C. SRAM XD freehub and gusset singlespeed adapter? Slight extra benefit, they take 6-bolt sprockets which are sometimes cheaper from velosolo.

I’d like to see either a Microspline-HG sleeve (I think that fits?) Or a microspline to 6 bolt adapter. Mostly as I don’t want to have to go out again and buy yet another set of sprockets.

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Is anyone using these and how are they getting on? I presume the 2mm thick version will work with 12 speed chain and chainring?

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

There’s an article on bikepacking.com about singlespeeding (in the last day or so)… If I remember correctly this issue is covered in the comments.

nedrapier

I think i’ll just purchase a spare HG freehub to use for singlespeed use, a little bit of hassle but seems unavoidable until a better solution is available for microspline.

LOADS less hassle!

1) pull off freehub set up with SS sprocket and spacers, slide in the freehub set up with a cassette

or

2) find chain whip, cassette removal tool and BFO adjustable spanner, remove lockring, jiggle off various bitten-in cassette sprockets, zip-tie together, slide on spacers, SS sprocket and spacers, hopefully getting them where you had them last time, cassette tool in, tighten, wheel in to check chain line, then possibly pull everything off again to adjust spacers…

joebristol

I’d probably just buy wheels with a Hope hub and buy HG and Microspline freehubs. Literally just pulls off and taps back on with no bolts etc to undo /
    Tighten up.

DanW
    Free Member

I’m in the pull off a freehub with everything already attached and push on another freehub with something different attached camp.

If you are feeling well posh then Boone are back

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/microspline-ss-cogs.1129875/page-4

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Micro spline + singlespeed?’ is closed to new replies.