MiCo damper on Lyriks

Home Forum Bike Forum MiCo damper on Lyriks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • MiCo damper on Lyriks
  • Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

My Mission Control DH I find I have it two thirds towards ‘hard’ on both high and low most of the time. If I run something very flat and hard, then I’ll set it to hard. Also find it jumps a bit better when firmer.

Aside from that for ages I didn’t really tell much difference what I set it to, other than if I go below half way towards soft it does seem too wallowy. There is a difference, but I don’t really mess with it most of the time. Originally I had it set in the middle then made it a bit harder for jumps and stuff. I’ve no idea what it really should be, put it’s lovely and plush where I have it now.

Mine’s an air fork though, and fixed travel at 170.

Oh and rebound – again I don’t really mess. It just always seemed set up right for me. I’ve played around on another fork and found it doesn’t make a great deal of difference until you set it way towards slow and then it’s obvious it’s way too slow. My old Recons forks do make a bit of a noise if set slow. The Lyriks don’t make the horible noises the Recons did though.

Mowgli

I think it might be not enough oil, as there’s really no difference even when set to fully slow. Bummer.

Mowgli

Just got a set of Lyriks. The previous owner had TF fit a coil u-turn and MiCo DH about 18 months ago. I took them out first time today, and I really can’t tell the difference between full-on and full-off on both the high speed and low speed compression. Also the rebound doesn’t seem to have any effect – on my old Pikes, it was very sensitive and you got a ‘breathing’ noise when the rebound was set high, presumably oil rushing through the damper itself. When on full the forks took an age to fully rebound; on these Lyriks there’s little if any difference.

As none of these things seem to be working, might it just be lack of oil in the right leg? Condition of the forks is very good so I can’t/don’t want to believe there’s actually anything wrong with them.

Cheers,

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

They do say the exact correct amount of oil is essential. Must be the right amount for the exact model according to their service guide. Apparently. Serviced mine and replaced the oil to their spec and all seems fine.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Are the forks that have been posted – and shifted air into damping gubbins by being upside down/thrown/who knows what in the posties van…? Have you tried the simple upside down stored for a day thing?
    (theory, not based on any fact…)

Mowgli

Yes, they were posted to me. Not sure how that could let the oil out of the top part of the leg and into the bottom though – if I leave them upside down to let it drain back into the top, presumably it’ll just drain back out again if one of the seals is knackered?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

I was thinking more in the innards of such damping systems…?
    (right, time to stop guessing and let loco come along and tell us whats wrong)

Mowgli

Just had them apart and back together, and the rebound at least is much better – the familiar breathing noise is back 🙂 There was oil in both uppers and lowers, but presumably not enough in the top – I’ll measure it sometime.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘MiCo damper on Lyriks’ is closed to new replies.