Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Michelin’s new XC tyre range contains the tyre we’ve all been looking for
  • Ben_Haworth

The low-tread Michelin Jet XC and Force XC tyres are all well and good if you like that sort of thing but it’s the Michelin Wild XC that’s triggered us lot over here in the filth of midwinter.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

Michelin’s new XC tyre range contains the tyre we’ve all been looking for

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

More nails in the 27.5 coffin. I’d better start saving for a new frame, fork and wheelset.

Stiggy

Forekaster?

argee

Looking at the profile on those, i’m not going to be ditching the shorty’s any time soon!

johncoventry

Jim Trailrider
    You think you have it bad on 27.5” I am still on 26” so my choice is very minimal.

kelvin

Welcome back Benji. This is the stuff we want.

Northwind

Looks like a successor to the wider Maxxis Beaver, ie The One XC Mud Tyre That You’d Not Just Use For XC. Which is good! Not something I need but it was an obvious hole in ranges.

But “the tyre I’ve been looking for” is a 2.6 29 rockrazor. Or, ya know, any 2.6 29er semislick since there’s none now the Terevail is gone.

Rubber_Buccaneer

the tyre we’ve all been looking for

At last….er, where exactly did you ride it to come to this conclusion?

muggomagic

Or, ya know, any 2.6 29er semislick since there’s none now the Terevail is gone.

Not quite a semi slick but I’ve got a Maxxis Rekon 29×2.6 in exo+ casing that is my go to rear tyre for longer rides in drier months.

That xc wild looks like just the tyres I’m after for my SS.

ahsat

Hummm I’ve just bought a set of Wolfpack Trails. That XC Wild looks like a good alternative.

Shred
    Free Member

Meh, the Wild XC looks like a Vittoria Barzo, which has been out for ages and is a very good all round XC tyre. The Jet XC2 is similar to the Mezcal, so I’ll just stick to using those.

The widths for the Jet and Force are so last decade. Not having wider 2.25 is old school, and shows Michelin are still living in the past.

andyspaceman

Yep, certainly interest in those Wild XCs amongst my riding buddies. There are still a couple of people in our group eking out the last few miles from Spesh Storm Controls and Bonty Mud Xs, but most of us have been consigned to halfway ‘wet weather’ solutions like Forekasters, Barzos and others for the past couple of years. I have a pair of the older tread Specialized Purgatories on my singlespeed which do a pretty fine job in slop, but even stocks of those have dried up now, and the new Purg is an altogether different beast.

Hillbillies are just too much for proper long rides, and the only nu-skool mud tyre that seems to be at all sustainable for normal riding is a mk1 Shorty in the 2.2″ flavour on the rear. And even that is a draggy b@$+@rd.

Not sure why Michelin are even bothering to market the Jet & Force tyres in the UK. They should just ship all the Wilds here and we’ll eat them up.

mahalo

any 2.6 29er semislick since there’s none now the Terevail is gone.

whats happened? ive been looking for a set of them!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

2.1″ tyre!
    WTF, we’re not in the ’80s now.

stingmered

Good article, but the opening 3 paragraphs are a bit of a mess… had to ready several times to get the gist of what was being said… Maybe it’s just me.

stingmered

Just to add, I hope Michelin have solved the leaky sidewall issues… good tyres often let down by total inability to retain pressure.

jairaj

Ahh a couple months too late for me… I already bought new mud tyres!

I used have a 26″ Maxxis Beaver on my old bike which I absolutely loved for winter riding! Was desperately looking for something similar in 29″ for my new bike but couldn’t find anything similar.

molgrips
    Free Member

More nails in the 27.5 coffin. I’d better start saving for a new frame, fork and wheelset.

I’ll have yours, it’s not worth much…

tthew

Good article, but the opening 3 paragraphs are a bit of a mess… had to ready several times to get the gist of what was being said… Maybe it’s just me.

Nope, not just you. Made no sense to me either, editor must be on holiday.
    And am I missing something here? Aren’t these just the same Wild’s that were reviewed in the mag last issue, just with a more lightweight casing?

finbar
    Free Member

the tyre we’ve all been looking for

No, sadly, the article does not confirm Michelin will be remaking green Wildgrippers in 26″.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Maybe it’s because of the XC tag these aren’t made for 27.5. The MTB Fun Police have determined that 27.5″ can’t be used for XC, only 29″. Unless it’s on a gravel bike where for some reason its totally fine.

zerocool

@Northwind. I to am looking for a 2.6 Rock Razor or Minion SS

Northwind

crustycrankypants

whats happened? ive been looking for a set of them!

Don’t know- out of stock everywhere, not sure if they’re discontinued or just having stock issues

brassneck

Is there actually any measurable real world difference between 2.25 / 2.35 or is this a typo?

scotroutes

It’s not an “article” it’s a barely re-hashed press release with a click-bait title. It’s crap like this that makes me want to cancel my membership. I don’t mind paying to support the forum but it pains me to be subsidising this nonsense. We’ve had some proper journalism recently. Can we stick with that?

honourablegeorge

Wondering who it was on Michelin’s design team which thought massive blue and yellow logos were a good idea.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Michelin’s new XC tyre range contains the tyre we’ve all been looking for’ is closed to new replies.