Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)
  • Michael Fallon
  • kimbers

Now when someone starts the sentence Disgraced Former Defense Secretary…. Will they be talking about Michael Fallon or Liam Fox ?

Even Hartley-Brewer acknowledging there may be more to this than him grabbing her knee

Klunk
    Free Member

some more big names on that #toryslease36 list. fun times at tory hq 🙂

Now when someone starts the sentence Disgraced Former Defense Secretary.

You’ll just start it with “double” 😉

rkk01
    Free Member

ow when someone starts the sentence Disgraced Former Defense Secretary…. Will they be talking about Michael Fallon or Liam Fox ?

Don’t forget “Buff” Hoon… 😉

white101

Just a few days ago he was ‘demanding answers’ from the 1st Sea Lord after some drug taking, now he’s bleating that his actions may have fallen short of those required as SoS for Def. He knew this at the time he was demanding action but only chose to resign once he was about to be exposed.

I’ll bet he still has a big majority at the next election which says much about the public today ( see also that bloke in Yorkshire who does the filibuster waffle)

kimbers

According to BBC news there’s other allegations surfaced today that be forced his hand…

Even if he were to stand down they’d only parachute in another Tory, maybe shuffle Rudd along the coast to a safer seat

Klunk
    Free Member

*cough* Rudd *cough*

kimbers

Apparently PM forced his resignation in light of allegations from another journalist

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Out of sight out of mind?
    Probably just getting out of the way before the really big offenders drop.

white101

Is there any irony (may be the wrong word?) in that they only fall on the sword when they sense the gravy train is off the rails personally but its fine to lie and lie over Brexit and all else where they are not personally under threat?

theotherjonv

‘What was acceptable 10 or 15 years ago is not acceptable now’

Erm….. it was never acceptable, just because people were intimidated or ignored 10 or 15 years ago doesn’t make it so.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Politicians’ unwillingness to answer a question other than by way of a predetermined variety of statements is pitiful. In the Kuensberg interview Fallon looks uncomfortable because of the circumstances but even more so because of his refusal to provide a straight answer.

DrJ

Fallon is comical – his pompous waffling about the “high standards of the armed forces”. You aren’t an SAS commando, man, you’re a pathetic chubby politician that got led by his dick!

kerley
    Free Member

‘What was acceptable 10 or 15 years ago is not acceptable now’

Picked up on that too. His speech was just him saying he didn’t really do anything wrong but times have changed and he doesn’t meet the ‘new’ high standards expected.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Strange resignation, there must be something else ? You don’t resign because you touched someone’s knee 15 years ago, an indicent you apologised for at the time and the person concerned said its a closed / non issue ?

Either Fallon has resigned to protect May, because he knows there is something more recent or it’s to put pressure on Labour amd Lib Dems to follow suit ?

As an aside my wife said if French politicians resigned for such things there would be no Government at all !

scotroutes

because he knows there is something more recent

That seems to be the gossip/assumption.

the person concerned said its a closed / non issue

Aye, but she would say that…. (apparently)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Either Fallon has resigned to protect May, because he knows there is something more recent

Do you even read bro? There is more, way more along the lines of had to go. What does dropping 20 Tories do to the government?

nickc

or it’s to put pressure on Labour amd Lib Dems to follow suit ?

The “minister for the Today Programme” made to fall on his sword to force the Lib Dems (a political non entity) to achieve….what exactly?

binners

Strange resignation, there must be something else? You don’t resign because you touched someone’s knee 15 years ago, an incident you apologised for at the time and the person concerned said its a closed / non issue ?

You can put your house on the fact that presently a lot of lawyers, employed by various newspapers, are very, very busy clearing various things before we get to find out exactly what Michael and chums have been up to. Given the hard-faced, non-resigning nature of modern politics, it’s probably considerably more than touching someone’s knee?

You’ve read ‘The List’, right?

He’s merely the first to go

kimbers

Both BBC & itv news last night were saying PM had told him to go in light of other allegations, including another female journalist.

He was #torysleaze36 listed not just as a sex pest but as a drunk, a dangerous combination.

His brazen ability to say black was white on the Sunday politics shows every time May was stumbling through a crisis always smacked of Dutch courage.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I recall the interview a couple of months back when Emily Thornberry tore Fallon a new one, she did an epic takedown on him.

There’s obviously more allegations in the pipeline, it’s better to resign (at the prompting of the whip) before the messy stuff comes out. The government are in a dangerous position, all it will take is a handful of MPs to be caught doing things they shouldn’t and they’ll be an absolute minority government.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the person concerned said its a closed / non issue
    Aye, but she would say that…. (apparently)

Conspiracist madness there dude 😉

Nothing like consistency of opinion eh

kimbers

May has appointed Gavin Williamson as defence secretary

he was her campaign manager for leadership (fk knows what he saw in her)
    & intensely dislikes borris johnson, he also brought his pet tarantula into parliament (at least thats 2 things I approve of)

hes obviously a very loyal choice in a safe seat

HOWEVER he has 0 military experience and isnt it risky appointing the chief whip-
    when its his job to oversee good behaviour among MPs?

any Torysleaze36 dodginess that happened on his watch could be damaging

torsoinalake
    Free Member

minister for the Today Programme

Such an apt description. He struck me as the tame mug they would wheel out to parrot the party line.

Junkyard
    Free Member

he has 0 military experience

hard to think of a minister who does have any expertise in the area they are appointed* – this was always the case whatever the party and will be more so now as almost all of them [ all parties] have only ever been professional politicians.

* Boris knows a thing or two about foreigners obviously what with being one 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

Wasn’t that Gavin Barwell, the ex-Housing Minister who had arguably the easiest job in the cabinet?

Q: “Should we build more houses for the plebs?”
    Barwell: “No”.

airtragic
    Free Member

“HOWEVER he has 0 military experience “

They never do!

Bah, beaten to it!

airtragic
    Free Member

Didn’t the Canadians have a Govt of experts a while back? Ie Education Minister ex Teacher, Defence ex soldier etc etc. Sounds like a great idea. I wonder what difference, if any, people in their departments felt?

Edited for autocorrect fail!

kimbers

May getting a severe backlash from her own MPs for appointing a loyalist, who also happens to be the guy that forced fallon to resign 😆

kerley
    Free Member

The government are in a dangerous position, all it will take is a handful of MPs to be caught doing things they shouldn’t and they’ll be an absolute minority government.

Only if those that resign are not in a tory safe seat.

kimbers

The guardian enjoying lining up MPs thoughts to journos on this

Jason Groves @JasonGroves1
    Minister emerging from Commons tea room describes Gavin Williamson appointment as ‘the most unpopular political decision I have ever known’
    11:28 AM – Nov 2, 2017
    1 1 Reply 20 20 Retweets 14 14 likes

Robert Peston ?@Peston
    An MP formerly loyal to May: “she had a golden opportunity to do the right thing and appoint the right people to the right jobs. She’s just blown it and exposed herself as weaker than any of us thought. She’s being controlled by young men in suits. I now despair”.
    11:25 AM – Nov 2, 2017
    9 9 Replies 92 92 Retweets 83 83 likes

steve hawkes ?@steve_hawkes
    Tory Minister: “We were once the party of meritocracy.”
    this is not going down well
    11:19 AM – Nov 2, 2017
    Replies 5 5 Retweets 4 4 likes

Laura Kuenssberg ?@bbclaurak
    Another senior Tory says ‘MPs deeply unhappy he has used position of Chief to benefit himself + deserted his post at such a crucial time’
    11:13 – 2 Nov 2017
    22 22 Replies 108 108 Retweets 83 83 likes

Laura Kuenssberg ?@bbclaurak
    One minister tells me ‘She is so weak she has let Williamson appoint himself-this is appalling’
    11:03 – 2 Nov 2017
    97 97 Replies 863 863 Retweets 723 723 likes

ransos
    Free Member

Either Fallon has resigned to protect May, because he knows there is something more recent or it’s to put pressure on Labour amd Lib Dems to follow suit ?

Alternatively, this was a convenient way of escaping from this dreadful government.

bhill22
    Free Member

Where would you find the spreadsheet with the 36 names on line?

timidwheeler

Google “Westminster list unredacted” and scroll through the results.

bhill22
    Free Member

Thx found it

chakaping
    Free Member

Interesting reading.

The bottom one seems a bit unnecessary if it’s just how the fella likes to roll.

kimbers

Its all just petty internal Tory gossip (with a few more serious allegations), more indicative of their current ill-discipline & in-fighting than anything else.

What the list may do is dislodge darker secrets that they are hiding?

scotroutes

There’s a few others that make me think – “so what”.

kimbers

badmouthing the new defence sec to a journo seems to be a Tory competition at the moment

Nick Eardley ?@nickeardleybbc
    I would be sacked if I tweeted the word one minister just used to describe new defence secretary Gavin Williamson
    12:43 PM – Nov 2, 2017
    29 29 Replies 38 38 Retweets 50 50 likes

Beth Rigby ?@BethRigby
    Me to a (female) MP; Has Williamson’s appointment gone down badly? “You bet your f***king life”
    11:45 AM – Nov 2, 2017
    18 18 Replies 160 160 Retweets 186 186 likes

I wonder if some of this hostility is due to the list itself he was chief whip when it was drawn up

this tweet kinda says the same thing

Tim Shipman @ShippersUnbound
    Make no mistake, Gavin Williamson wants to be prime minister. And he knows all the dirt on his colleagues.
    10:46 AM – Nov 2, 2017
    61 61 Replies 425 425 Retweets 492 492 likes

chip
    Free Member

One says video exists of three men urinating on him.

Not my thing but would that stop him from doing his job

drlex
    Free Member

He’s taking the pi$$?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘Michael Fallon’ is closed to new replies.