• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by DezB.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Michael Collins RIP
  • Premier Icon twistedpencil

What a life!

An amazing adventure comes to an end.

Truly inspirational.

I’ll probably put Apollo 11 on tonight to pay my respects.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michael-collins-dies-age-90-apollo-11-astronaut/

Premier Icon maxtorque

Also, read “Carrying the fire” for an exceptional well written and rather moving account of his Apollo missions

Premier Icon pondo

Oh no! 🙁 I’ve read a lot about Apollo over the last 18 months, and Carrying The Fire stands out as the best book by far – what an incredible life, and what a fantastic, humble person he was. Godspeed, Micheal Collins. 🙁

Premier Icon malv173

RIP indeed. He seemed a truly interesting, and charming human, from the few docs about the moon landings that I’ve watched over the years. That book is going on my reading list.

Premier Icon scuttler

Time to re-read Carrying the Fire. Ace book.

Film 4’s ‘In the Shadow of the Moon’ heavily features a totally endearing Collins too if you can dig it out. Trailer below.

The classic Collins image (not mine)

RIP Michael.

Premier Icon grahamh
    Free Member

That just leaves Buzz from that crew.:-(

Premier Icon DezB

10pm Sky Documentaries on Thurs – the “Apollo 11” film is on. Was made to mark the 50th anniversary, but will take on a new poignancy.

Premier Icon sce2aux
    Free Member

The Apollo era slips a little further into the history books. What an amazing individual and what a remarkable life he had. For those who haven’t read it yet, Carrying the Fire is probably one of the best Apollo related books. Absolutely superb.

How can the most futuristic thing we have ever done now be so far in our past?

Premier Icon jamj1974

He and his fellow astronauts and cosmonauts have fuelled my imagination and dreams since I can first remember.

Thank you and rest in peace Michael Collins.

Premier Icon twistedpencil

“But although I may feel I am the same person, I also feel that I am different from other people. I have been places and done things you simply would not believe.

“I have seen the sun’s true light, unfiltered by any planet’s atmosphere. I have seen the ultimate black of infinity in a stillness undisturbed by any living thing. I have been pierced by cosmic rays on their endless journey from God’s place to the limits of the universe, perhaps there to circle back on themselves and on my descendants.”

When I read these words for the first time in Carrying the Fire, I thought, bloody hell Rutger you nicked the end of that Blade Runner monologue from Michael Collins.

As above its a damn fine read.

13 Minutes to the Moon on rotation next.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

Way too cool. Went to the moon and didn’t even bother getting out of the spaceship.

Premier Icon supernova
    Free Member

It’s a real shame that he and Armstrong didn’t get to see someone reach Mars.

Premier Icon ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Here is something you didn’t know:

My neighbour was the (English) Moonologist who was present in the Cape Canaveral control room. His job was to advise them exactly where the lander should touch down due to his expert knowledge of the moon’s surface.

He has several books published on the subject.

Premier Icon nickc

Astronauts are cool as ****

Armstrong apparently used to tell purposefully lame jokes about the moon to his classes, when the students invariably groaned, he’d say “Well, I guess you had to have been there”

Premier Icon scuttler

Posted an article up there labelled as obituary. It wasn’t. Proper one here
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/apr/29/michael-collins-obituary

Premier Icon Cougar

Genuinely saddened by this. Carrying the Fire is the last book I read so it’s fresh in my mind still.

Premier Icon DezB

This “Apollo 11” documentary is absolutely incredible.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.