• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by benp1.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • MFT Style tables
  • footflaps

Always wanted an Festool MFT-3, but not prepared to pay £600+ for one as it will just be used for a bit of DIY occasionally. However, came across this the other day and bought one at £200 delivered….

Quite a nice design for a portable MFT table. Made by a company called https://www.vanrack.co.uk/product/mft-portable-folding-workbench/

Previously, I’d made my own thing, but it’s too big and heavy and takes up too much space…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m9ADbD]DIY MFT Table[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

maccruiskeen

Are those various cutouts on the sides functional?

I guess on the real MFT you’ve got two systems – the patten of holes on the top and the fixing rails on the side and everything being square and in register to each other

But with the overhang of the top piece I’n assuming those cut outs on the side are just for things like storage rather than work holding, rail support and the like?

footflaps

I have no idea – they sort of look like they could be, but probably more decorative or for hanging clamps on…

Axminster have their own design thing with a flush top where you can use the dog holes in the sides:

https://www.axminstertools.com/ujk-technology-multifunction-workbench-frame-only-102540?queryID=5ab618e2bb30d1a1172446e0bdd52b2f

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zilog6128

looks good, although quite heavy I’m guessing!! (not necessarily a bad thing though if you don’t want it moving around!)

Excuse my ignorance but how are the holes in the top used? For bolting things to it? What are the little orange things for (and why only a handful of them?)

says on the website they’re for jigs/fixings but again can’t really picture how you’d use them! Probably all makes sense to a chippy tho

footflaps

Excuse my ignorance but how are the holes in the top used?

For “Dogs” – pegs which lock in and give you straight edges etc.

You can get rails etc.

All mine are from benchdogs: https://benchdogs.co.uk/

Fences:

footflaps

looks good, although quite heavy I’m guessing!! (not necessarily a bad thing though if you don’t want it moving around!)

It comes in three parts – the fold out frame, the inner shelf and the MFT top, so quite easy to move about – on their own each bit is quite light. The only design flaw is the handles in the shelf and top don’t line up when you move them as one eg as you let go, the shorter shelf drops and traps your fingers against the hole in the top.

I’m only ever moving it from the workshop out onto the patio as I’ve got fed up with sawdust everywhere inside and now only cut wood outside.

zilog6128

Cool, ta. Actually like the look of the Axminster one too that can be used with a couple of trestles 🤔

That is definitely the sort of thing you could buy a little CNC machine for and start banging out on eBay 😃 Almost bought a Yeti in the past! Maybe should reconsider 🤔

footflaps

That is definitely the sort of thing you could buy a little CNC machine for and start banging out on eBay

There are loads of people doing that!

scaredypants

I have a top sheet like yours, witha bit of 2×4 screwed in underneath to allow me to fix it into my workmate (which has bigger “table” section since I had to replace the originals).   Works OK for me but then I’m just a plunge-saw bodger at best and not a heavy user

benp1

I have a Bora centipede and the Bora top which is MFT style. I’ve found it really handy and it collapses down pretty well

Would like to buy a couple of very low profile dogs to supplement it

footflaps

I have a Bora centipede

Never heard of it – but looks way quicker than setting up my two fold away trestles (ToughBuilt Sawhorse C650s).

simon_g

That’s quite nice if you’ve got somewhere it can be tucked away. I’ve got the Bora Centipede too (keyblades sell them) and it’s a good system, crazy strong for how light it is too. For ages before that it was a cheap generic MFT top from lasersmith on a couple of trestles.

leffeboy

that bora centipede and a folding mft top looks like a winner really.  I don’t have a lot of garage space but I do have a terrace where I do most of my work.  trying not to buy…

benp1

I have a very decent size garage with a really nice workbench, but there’s nearly always stuff on there (currently car stuff) plus vice etc

I often use the top of my chest freezer as an impromptu worktop for doing things but only really works for lightish things. The bora set up is good, plus I can put it outside. Means if I’m sanding or doing anything messy or where I need lots of space it’s easy to do. I bought the little riser kit to make it higher as I’m tall.

It’s been used as a table indoors for putting food on at partiess, needs a tablecloth over the top and you’re sorted. Also used for my Ooni pizza oven outdoors.

Definitely recommended. It spends most of it’s time folded down and you would have no idea it’s there. Top bit of kit. I bought a couple of clamps specifically for it and it’s made certain jobs MUCH easier

The to is made of MDF so I ended up varnishing it, I noticed that when I put wood that wasn’t totally dry on top it left a mark. No different to any other MDF, I just wanted it to last. Other top tip is that I put metal corner braces on, I store the table top vertically next to the beer fridge and didn’t want the MDF corners to get beat up

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.