Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 407 total)
  • #MeToo
  • ransos
    Free Member

I don’t agree at all Ransos, alt righters were convinced to move away from the centre ground… they can be brought back.

I don’t agree. I think the current political climate has given licence to a particularly nasty undercurrent that was always there. Do you think people suddenly became racist because of the terrorist attacks in London and Manchester? How else do we explain the sharp rise in hate crimes?

I’m also interested in some of Grahams and aracers posts, they kind of touch upon (pun intended) a complaint of a Spanish friend of mine – that English men are cold and frigid, for her – touching friends was normal and psychogically healthy (as we are ptimates). She was of the opinion that Brits are emotionally unhealthy.

I’d be reluctant to draw too many conclusions from a single data point! In any case, aren’t we just talking about cultural norms?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

aren’t we just talking about cultural norms?

I think cultural norms can influence mental health, see Japan.

Most of my female friends are very outgoing, they would get offended if they didn’t get a hug when I saw them. Most of them aren’t English though 😆 but French, Spanish, Greek, Italian and Irish.

TBH, I find myself in agreement with my Spanish friend – my overall experience of my English friends relationships have been that of dysfunction and mental health issues.

ransos
    Free Member

I think cultural norms can influence mental health, see Japan.

Most of my female friends are very outgoing, they would get offended if they didn’t get a hug when I saw them. Most of them aren’t English though :lol:, z but French, Spanish, Greek, Italian and Irish.
    They’re your friends. I do the same. A hug or a peck on the cheek is a very different thing to a manager getting a bit “touchy feely” with one of his staff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Again, the article doesn’t make that distinction clear… although I already knew that. It questions all touching, and that does tie in with the experience I have with my English female friends… they usually aren’t touchy… and 90 oercent of the time they are the ones with mental health issues.

Is it possible that through all of the fear, we are becoming less able to connect with each other?

I consider some of the responses to Geetee on here, to be as **** up as some of his posts.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yeah, but that’s because women don’t want jobs that pay more.

Bingo!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Bingo

*dives into foxhole*

ransos
    Free Member

It questions all touching, and that does tie in with the experience I have with my English female friends… they usually aren’t touchy.

So touching your English female friends might make them uncomfortable? Isn’t that what the article is asking you to think about?

Is it possible that through all of the fear, we are becoming less able to connect with each other?

No, I think that’s an excuse trotted out by men trying to justify their inappropriate behaviour.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’m going to cut to the chase here and give a view into a blind spot. Greg, you come across as somebody who considers themselves above others, and you’re pompous and verbose with it. You confuse the forefront of your own experience/knowledge as being the forefront of everyone else’s, which is more than a little naive and more than a little offensive and disrespectful. That is why your demand that other people get with the program and join you at the front with your five personality traits rubs people up the wrong way. You disagree, of course, but until you learn some humility you’re going to struggle to engage with people and the numerous positive aspects of your input will be lost like tears in the rain.

ransos
    Free Member

Bingo!

When you’re being satirized, it’s time to stop and have a think.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

No, I think that’s an excuse trotted out by men trying to justify their inappropriate behaviour.

So you have admitted you’re inappropriate with your friends by the Guardians standard?

South Americans, Italians and Spaniards would disgree.

Japan would agree.

Depends if you want to be a non sexist version of Japan or not Ransos. The alcoholism, workaholism, noncing, BDSM, suicide rates and general aloofness kind of puts me off though.

ransos
    Free Member

Japan would agree.

Depends if you want to be a non sexist version of Japan or not Ransos. The noncing and BDSM kind of puts me off though.

You seem to be constructing a strawman.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

No, I suspect Japans weirdness is entirely related to their inability to open up to each other on a daily basis.

I suspect Anglo Saxon/Japanese disease is a conributing factor in our binge drinking as well.

geetee1972
    Free Member

When you’re being satirized, it’s time to stop and have a think.

When you’re being Ironic without realising it it’s also time to stop and tink.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Greg, you come across as somebody who considers themselves above others, and you’re pompous and verbose with it

So your issue with me is stylistic rather than factual?

OK well I can agree that the comments you’re making in that post are something I can agree/identify with. As per this post:

In the context of this thread, they are a predisposition to be beligerant with my arguments, to be very dogmatic, to find it hard to see the other person’s point of view. I accept that but for as long as those as the only things I’m being accused of, then every response here (that isn’t a personal attack, and there have been a lot of those) has the potential to change my mind.

Pyro

Yeah, but that’s because women don’t want jobs that pay more.

Bingo![/quote]

Poe’s Law rides again…

ransos
    Free Member

No, I suspect Japans weirdness is entirely related to their inability to open up to each other on a daily basis.

I suspect Anglo Saxon/Japanese disease is a conributing factor in our binge drinking as well.

I guess you have two options:
    1. Make women uncomfortable and tell them that it’s their fault because they’re repressed.
    2. Don’t do stuff that makes them feel uncomfortable.

ransos
    Free Member

When you’re being Ironic without realising it it’s also time to stop and tink.

You can’t even spell it. Now that is irony.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You can’t even spell it. Now that is irony.

I’m opinionated, dogmatic, often insensitive and when it comes to debating or arguing, I am apt to pursue my own lines of reasoning headlong with little consideration for the views of others.

But the one thing I am not Ransos, is intellectually challenged.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I guess you have two options:
    1. Make women uncomfortable and tell them that it’s their fault because they’re repressed.
    2. Don’t do stuff that makes them feel uncomfortable.

So you make your friends uncomfortable then?

What I am getting at, is that Brits seem particularly prone to fear – fear of terrorism, fear of immigrants, fear of touching each other. All of those can be evidenced by Brexit and our drinking culture – the latter of which partly exists so the sexes can actually talk to each other.

Your need to leap to the insinuation that I am victim blaming, when I have clearly only been trying to explore cultural differences, only evidences my accusation that Brits are **** in the head – politically and emotionally.

ransos
    Free Member

What I am getting at, is that Brits seem particularly prone to fear – fear of terrorism, fear of immigrants, fear of touching each other. All of those can be evidenced by Brexit and our drinking culture – the latter of which partly exists so the sexes can actually talk to each other.

Your need to leap to the insinuation that I am victim blaming, when I have clearly only been trying to explore cultural differences, only evidences my accusation that Brits are **** in the head.
    You carry on with the crude stereotypes if you wish, and I’ll carry on with the here and now. It seems to me that your continued whataboutery speaks volumes.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m opinionated, dogmatic, often insensitive and when it comes to debating or arguing, I am apt to pursue my own lines of reasoning headlong with little consideration for the views of others.

Your second sentence is significantly undermined by your first sentence.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Do you make your friends uncomfortable by touching then, yes or no? It’s **** simple, stop dodging the question.

And accusing me of crude stereotyoes in this thread is hilarious, crude stereotypes have been used throughout to highlight salient points.

Neither is it whatabouterry, as it relates directly to a point made in a linked article.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

You’re in the 85 percentile? That’s “above average”, don’t get carried away.

So your issue with me is stylistic rather than factual?

It’s both, you wooden-headed sod, though don’t confuse the facts you think you have with how you reason with them. And don’t be so proud of your refusal, or should I say inability, to suspend your own beliefs.

jam-bo

this thread needs more tj.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Japan would agree.

But would you say Yemen or Norway if I was to pat you on Djibouti?

AlexSimon

I’m really saddened by the gap between what this thread could have been and what it’s become

ransos
    Free Member

Do you make your friends uncomfortable by touching then, yes or no? It’s **** simple, stop dodging the question.

Wow. You’ve consistently chosen to edit my posts so you ignore some of my questions, and the minute I do the same, you get on your high horse. I find your question offensive, and I’ve no intention of answering you.

And accusing me of crude stereotyoes in this thread is hilarious, crude stereotypes have been used throughout to highlight salient points.

It’s exactly what you’re doing. You assume characteristics based on nationality, using a couple of friends as evidence. It’s pathetic, really.

Neither is it whatabouterry, as it relates directly to a point made in a linked article.

“but what about the Japanese” is pretty much the definition of whataboutery.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

“but what about the Japanese” is pretty much the definition of whataboutery.

It’s not if you are questioning a societal aversion to touch. You could have had a good conversations about that, instead you decided to be a **** about it.

In regards to stereotyping, it’s entirely possibke to mke general assumptions given a societal trends such as binge drinking, sexual deviancy and suicide.

I find your question offensive, and I’ve no intention of answering you.

Because you’re backed into a corner and too conceited to admit it.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s not if you are questioning a societal aversion to touch.

Which might make an interesting discussion. It’s not this one, though.

Because you’re backed into a corner and too conceited to admit it.

Because you’re a hectoring bully and I’ve no intention of playing your childish game. I’m starting to get an insight into why some women might not like your behaviour.

Think what you like, because I don’t value your opinion.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m not the one insinuating other people are victim blaming, that is you mate – doing the bullying.

‘m starting to get an insight into why some women might not like your behaviour

See, again, opinion you don’t like? Lets engage in some character assaination and accuse the person of being a bit rapey.

You’ re a class act mate.

Do you get off by bullying others on a forum?

ransos
    Free Member

I’m not the one insinuating other people are victim blaming, that is you mate – doing the bullying.

I’m not your mate. I had imagined that use of reductio ad absurdum was so obvious as to not require explanation. Perhaps I was right, but you chose to fake offence for the purposes of argument.

ransos
    Free Member

Lets engage in some character assaination and accuse the person of being a bit rapey.

I think your desire to invent things and attribute them to me is pretty sad.

Do you get off by bullying others on a forum?

If you think you’ve been bullied, feel free to report the relevant posts.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

You’ve outed yourself as a complete cockwomble.

Reducto ad absurdum is par for the course in this place, and it was a response to your insinuation.

km79
    Free Member

This thread is even more mental than a mumsnet feminism thread.

ransos
    Free Member

You’ve outed yourself as a cockwomble.

Yes, keep on with the insults. It makes you look so very reasonable.

Reducto ad absurdum is par for the course in this place, and it was a response to your insinuation.

The whole point about reduction ad absurdum is that it isn’t an insinuation, because it is obviously a ridiculous view that you would not hold. You’re manufacturing offence because you didn’t understand the point I was making, and now you can’t admit it.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

No, I think that’s an excuse trotted out by men trying to justify their inappropriate behaviour

It was a response to this attempt to shut down discussion on touch being important to society, as evidenced… apparently… by that psychologytoday article.

You chose to turn sonewhat of a sidetopic that perhaps you disagreed with, into something that it was not by doing a little bit of character assaination.

I’m sorry, but I have a huge problem with that – you are the type of peraon, who’s behaviour and character is open to taking part in lynch mobs.

Does it feel good to be a right on, true believer Ransos?

geetee1972
    Free Member

You’re in the 85 percentile? That’s “above average”, don’t get carried away.

Well I say 85th percentile, it’s tricky. I scored in the 97th percentile on the Watson Glazer Critical Reasoning test but only in the 75th percentile for the Raven’s Progressive Matricies. I’ve done a few IQ test that have given me a score of around 120-130 which is classed as ‘very superior intelligence’, but honestly I’m not sure how accurate that is. I know I’m reasonably smart, but I’m a long way behind people like my best friend who has an IQ of around 160.

It’s both, you wooden-headed sod, though don’t confuse the facts you think you have with how you reason with them. And don’t be so proud of your refusal, or should I say inability, to suspend your own beliefs.

OK well sorry you feel that way, clearly I’ve made you very angry and while that doesn’t surprise me, I’m sincerely sorry that you ended up feeling like that.

I can and do change my views on things based on feedback; it’s not easy (for anyone) but for instance I switched my vote from Tory to Labour at the last election based on debates and discussions on here. A few of you might not realise it but your arguments changed my vote.

For all the shit that’s been thrown on this thread it’s worth keeping in mind that most people, myself included, do change their views on things in response to pressured arguments. I might not admit that here, but it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

giantalkali
    Free Member

I’ve done a few IQ test that have given me a score of around 120-130 which is classed as ‘very superior intelligence’,

Can you do an EQ test please?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Another point that I’d like to make, now I’m in the mood for shitting on people.

What the **** did the OP expect? It took a twitter hashtag to make him shocked about male and human behaviour?

Hundreds of thousands of years of wars, rape, genocide,forced marriages, dehumanisation of out groups vs in groups… shock horror…. men are arseholes.

Who knew it guys? I’m as **** shocked as you are.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 407 total)

The topic ‘#MeToo’ is closed to new replies.