Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Meteor Derbyshire this morning
  • dashed
    Free Member

Was out this morning about 7am and there was a cracking meteor – brightest I’ve ever seen. Just a single one in the west dropping down towards the horizon. Can’t find anything about it on the news so did I imagine it??

MrSparkle

Derbyshire? Not Gloster? ;0)

The Green Comet is about at the mo. Could it have been that? This!

dashed
    Free Member

Hmm, not sure. It was more like a falling meteorite than comet i’d have said. Only visible for 3-4 seconds but really bright. Like a falling firework – but only the falling bit, nothing went up. And it was too high in the sky and too far away to be a firework!

IdleJon

The Green Comet is about at the mo.

You can’t confuse a comet with a meteor, especially a comet that needs binocs or a telescope to be seen. One streaks brightly and clearly through the sky and the other is barely visible and looks stationary against the background stars.

Can’t find anything about it on the news so did I imagine it??

A few years ago I saw a proper fireball type meteor heading west from the tip of Gower down the Bristol Channel. I couldn’t find a single report anywhere about it.

myopic
    Free Member

you’re not wrong: https://news.sky.com/story/meteor-spotted-over-uk-last-night-as-hundreds-report-seeing-fireball-in-the-sky-12615065

Although the timing doesn’t fit with your sighting..

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Yes, at the train station this morning in the high peak just before 7am, meteor travelling se to nw. Must of been super bright as we had a load of low level cloud & clag and was easily visible through it when nothing else was. Only 2 or 3 seconds

ampthill

If you google fireball reporting then you’ll find a us website where you can log it.

I saw a huge one earlier this month. If they get 5 connected reports then they create an incident. Mine got over 500 reports in 3 times zones. Very relieved that other saw it. The reconstructed the trajectory from the reports

dashed
    Free Member

Phew – not just me then 🙂 Reported…

dashed
    Free Member

Yay, I’m not imagining things! Thanks @ampthill – didn’t realise there was somewhere to log it.

Events in 2023 473-2023
    We received 196 reports about a fireball seen over Cymru, England, Scotland and Wales on Tuesday, January 24th 2023 around 06:53 UT.

For this event, we received one video.

shinton
    Free Member

Harry Kane’s penalty from the World Cup – It’s Coming Home

(Stolen from twitter)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.