Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Metalworkerists- is this stuff off the shelf?
  • kayak23

Sup.

I’m just a humble wood whittler who occasionally gets involved with metalwork.

I have a potential project coming up where I need to build some industrial-style metal shelving that’s similar to some existing shelving for an interior designer.

I’m just researching materials at the moment and wondered if a particular ‘profile’ that’s on the shelving pictured is something common or whether they may have had it manufactured as a one off?

I’ll send the pictures to some suppliers of course but I thought that someone on STW is bound to know.

It’s a strip of parallel rods with perpendicular L-shaped pieces welded in series that is used to make the shelves adjustable in height.

Any ideas?
    👊

joshvegas
    Free Member

that looks like a faff. it kinda looks like something a bakery might use but i drew a blank.

however i think its formed from a bent rectangular mesh rather than built from bits

timba
    Free Member

Not specifically, but you can get rectangular welded mesh for the support sections and matching square mesh for the shelves (mesh example). The same company can cut and fold the flat sheet, finish afterwards to taste

kayak23

i think its formed from a bent rectangular mesh rather than built from bits

Ah yes, makes sense.

Not specifically, but you can get rectangular welded mesh for the support sections and matching square mesh for the shelves (mesh example). The same company can cut and fold the flat sheet, finish afterwards to taste

Cheers. I’ll send them some images and see if it’s something they’ll do.

Greybeard
    Free Member

That doesn’t look like a commercial product to me. While the welding is better than I could do, there are blobs and blackened areas; if it was a production item they would be ground off and would it would be uncoated stainless or coated after welding.

kayak23

I think the blackened areas are where they’ve attached elements together. The actual bent sections look fairly clean and consistent I thought.

The company that commissioned it originally wanted that sort of raw look I think so weren’t too bothered about blackened welds and such like.
    (Ampwire were who actually made it I think)
    It’s lacquered over the top.

To be honest, I’m not sure about quoting for the job as it’s fairly far from what I am used to, but then again, I love getting my welding head on and it might be fun.
    I’m sure my welding would improve by the end!

The one I am supposed to make is triangular in shape, as it goes beneath some stairs.
    Would take a bit of thinking about but I’d quite like to expand what I do a bit. 😊

alric
    Free Member

its simple to make. i guess you can fold the mesh with a brake press, and use a bender for the tube corners, and a guillotine to cut the mesh to size, if you have access to those machines. Or improvise.
    I dont think you can buy it off the shelf, but take a look on ebay, someone may be selling it, and if they are they will be happy probably be happy to adjust dimensions for you

scruffywelder
    Free Member

I’d probably start by measuring the length of the 2 legs of the sticky oot bit of those shelf supports, the diameter of the rod they’re made of and the spacing between them and have a word with a steel stockholder to see if it corresponds to an off the shelf mesh that could be cut and folded.

If you had to make those bits from scratch from steel rod with basic tools it’d get very, very tedious very, VERY quickly…

The rest looks straightforward enough but if you’re fitting it into a wonky shaped corner it probably isn’t 😆

kayak23

The other option is to try to steer them to have fixed shelves.
    I think the product they are displaying is fairly consistently sized anyway.
    It’s a distillery school type thing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Metalworkerists- is this stuff off the shelf?’ is closed to new replies.