Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Metallica to Headline Glasto!
  • Coyote
    Free Member

According to the Guardian this morning. Should be an good one!

sas78

Awesome news. \m/

Just please don’t let Lars do much media work/speaking!!

slackalice
    Free Member

Enter Sandman! One of my fave tracks of all time!

Did my Glasto’s back in the early 80’s though and have absolutely no desire to go back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD-E-LDc384

piemonster

😯 1hr 27m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24418582

Glastonbury died when they put the fence up if you ask me, it was only good when I could get sensible honest people to unknowingly pay for my entry. I don’t think I could cope with that many people any more to be fair.

Actually reminds me of the longest duration I went for without a number 2.

slackalice
    Free Member

Yep, me too! It was the overflowing trench that did it for me!

Stoner
    Free Member

I was just listening to the news piece/interview about this on R6 this morning. In the manner of “Ive never watched Star Wars”, I’ve never knowingly heard a Metallica song. I couldnt name one or an album. I couldnt recognise a song by them playing if I heard it on the radio. I’ve never had any interest in them. Still dont 😉

kcr
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/j2n0cd2kUVQ[/video]

allthepies
    Free Member

+1

wrightyson
    Free Member

Been a fan for more than 25 years , typing that actually scares me, where has the time gone. I’ve seen them many times. Going to watch them at Glasto with a load of wannabe “gig goers” err no thanks.

mikey74
    Free Member

As a metal fan, and a fan of classic Metallica, I just wish they would give it up: they can’t write decent records any more and they are crap live now. Plus, Glastonbury is not a metal festival and they are totally wrong for it.

unknown
    Free Member

I’ll be seeing them headline Sonisphere this year – some sort of fans-vote-for-the-set type thing. Not sure if they’re doing that at Glastonbury, or they might end up playing Coldplay covers all night.

passtherizla
    Free Member

‘tallica at glasto!!! be **** SLAYER next. stick to Oasis and chumbawumba glasto you shitfest.

edlong
    Free Member

It is a bit of an odd booking, especially given that the tickets sell out long before the line-up is announced – there won’t be that many metalheads with tickets for glasto, so I can’t see them being that well received. Potentially good news for whoever’s headlining the second stage though..

wrightyson
    Free Member

It certainly ain’t mainstream that’s for sure. What percentage of the crowd will know any Metallica record other than sandman?
    Can’t see it going well myself.

they can’t write decent records any more and they are crap live now.

Are they that bad live now? I’ve not seen them physically live for 15 years, watched a few vids tho.
    Was actually at a wedding yesterday and the bride walked into the intro of “nothing else matters” thought that was pretty cool for a 20 yr old to be fair!

Lifer
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member

Are they that bad live now?

Worse.

It’s in keeping with the Stones last year though, bunch of has-beens relying on their tired back catalogue because they haven’t written a good song for at least 20 years.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well blow me down with a feather \m/ Metallica at Glasto..

Bit like having your Aunti enter your bedroom, take her kit off and jump in bed with yas..

😯

#offtoneverneverland

cb

The place will be full of middle aged ‘once were rockers’ so Metallica are nigh on perfect – if only anyone will be able to hear them over the din of the pretentious few muttering about how they “were better in the day”…yawn.

Lifer
    Free Member

Why is it pretentious to say that? It’s true! Not true of all bands mind you. Slayer are still on it. Testament too. Saw Neurosis at the weekend and they were tight as anything, crushingly heavy and amazingly beautiful and still writing great songs. Saw Metallica at O2 a few years ago…flabby is the best way to describe it.

kimbers

loved glasto back in the day, its still an experience, but not the same since the fence went up

im sure that metallica will be good in the aged rocker headliner at glasto sense

im quite glad I saw them before ride the lighting/ kill em all was reduced to a meddley at their live shows!

BoardinBob

As a metal fan, and a fan of classic Metallica, I just wish they would give it up: they can’t write decent records any more and they are crap live now

+1,000,000

It pains me to see how far they’ve fallen. Absolute tragic has beens. And I was absolutely mad about them in my teenage years. Everything post the Black album is an abomination, and even then the Black album is weak.

llama

An unusual headliner but not the first odd choice in that slot.

I’d probably quite enjoy it if I was going (I wish I was), but not as much as when I saw them in errrrrrm 1990, and only if they play mostly old songs.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Metallica died after the black album for me.

djglover
    Free Member

Metallica, I’d be gutted

piemonster

‘tallica at glasto!!! be **** SLAYER next. stick to Oasis and chumbawumba glasto you shitfest.

😆

Chumblywumbly

llama

tbh I’d rather watch Metallica than Oasis

slowoldman

Well if you don’t like Metallica, London Sinfonietta are appearing. Now there’s a great band.

bigjim

If they do a wall of death everyone might drop their iPads they’re filming it on instead of watching the gig.

Harry_the_Spider

[thousandsplifstare]As a veteran of 6 tours of Glastonbury in the 90s I can confirm that whoever is on stage isn’t the reason why people go. They go for the experience of it, man. Hence the reason why it sells out in a nano-second before the line-up has been announced. [/thousandsplifstare]

If I was there I would go and watch Metallica out of curiosity and if they were bobbins I’d saunter off early and find something else to watch, probably at the Jazz Stage.

I’ll watch them on TV just to see how they do. Hopefully, with such a massive crowd and TV audience they won’t conspire to make chumps of themselves.

What night are they on? If it is Sunday they are contractually obliged to be shit anyway and most of the audience will have lost the will to live.

iolo
    Free Member

Glastonbury reveals full 2014 lineup

I see they’re playing the pyramid stage. The talentless chimp that is Lilly Allen is also playing the same stage.

2tyred

Not a heavy metal fan, but I’ve always loved Metallica’s first three albums.

Went to see them when they toured the 4th. Could not understand why people wanted to stand and listen to someone playing the drums for about 20 minutes uninterrupted with nothing else going on. Just odd. Then each band member got a shot doing the same with his own instrument, playing stupidly high notes really fast on a guitar for AGES. So boring.

Why does heavy metal insist on guitar solos? Totally ruins it.

Lifer
    Free Member

Not all heavy metal does the 5 mins guitar solo, and when they do some are actually good. Not a fan of Hammett’s widdly style but could listen to Dimebag making silly noises all day. Slayer do the thrash solo the best though.

fin25
    Free Member

What about the solo on master of puppets, bloody beautiful that is…

mikey74
    Free Member

Why is it pretentious to say that? It’s true! Not true of all bands mind you. Slayer are still on it. Testament too. Saw Neurosis at the weekend and they were tight as anything, crushingly heavy and amazingly beautiful and still writing great songs. Saw Metallica at O2 a few years ago…flabby is the best way to describe it.

At Temples, by any chance? I was there too.

kimbers

Why does heavy metal insist on guitar solos? Totally ruins it.

nah good time to go get a beer

boxfish
    Free Member

At Temples, by any chance? I was there too.

Me too!

Lifer
    Free Member

Yes! Was at Temples for the Saturday only. Sonance, Bossk, A Storm of Light (despite sound problems), Amenra all brilliant, and as I said Neurosis were outstanding. Could have done with a few more places to sit down though, felt like I’d been punched in the back by the end of it!

weare138
    Free Member

I gave up on Metallica after Justice. They went a bit overblown for me, what slayer could do in 2m30sec it took metallica 8m+. Lars Ulrich- the most punch able man in rock.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yes! Was at Temples for the Saturday only. Sonance, Bossk, A Storm of Light (despite sound problems), Amenra all brilliant, and as I said Neurosis were outstanding. Could have done with a few more places to sit down though, felt like I’d been punched in the back by the end of it!

I went for the whole weekend and still suffering, lol.

A Storm of Light were brilliant and Neurosis were as awesome as always.

I thought AmenRa were a little dull.

Anaal Nathrakh, the Secret, Beastmilk, Winterfylleth, Clutch, Oathbreaker were all highlights as well, plus a few others.

boxfish
    Free Member

The Friday was pretty good too, Jucifer, Moss & Blood Ceremony. And cider. Lots of cider.

CountZero

mikey74 – Member
    As a metal fan, and a fan of classic Metallica, I just wish they would give it up: they can’t write decent records any more and they are crap live now. Plus, Glastonbury is not a metal festival and they are totally wrong for it.

No, it’s a MUSIC festival, set up to cater for a really wide taste in music, not a narrow, one-dimensional taste. I really can’t understand this sort of attitude, after all, Metallica aren’t the first heavy rock band to play Glastonbury; if Rage Against The Machine can play there, then Metallica certainly ought to be able to without people getting all snobby about it. It’s no different to what a Reading used to be like.
    I have no idea what Metallica are like these days, last saw them on the Black album, …and a Justice For All, and Master of Puppets tours, but if I was going I’d be as close to the front as I could get, same with Arcade Fire, and as far away as possible when Kasabian came on.
    ‘Cos they’re just dull.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Metallica to Headline Glasto!’ is closed to new replies.