Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Metal sheds for bike storage
  • ChrisL

After my shed was broken into last night (the one bike in it was not taken, the thieves were defeated by a Fahgeddaboutit chain) I reckon I should finally bit the bullet and replace my ageing wooden shed with something more secure.

Has anyone any experience of this shed or similar? Are they worth the huge price? Also by the looks of things there aren’t any anchor points within the shed and none are listed in the accessories section, so is it possible to drill extra holes in the base so that a bolt-down ground anchor could be bolted through the floor into a concrete base below?

Edit: Well there are these eyelets in the optional extras, but they don’t look as secure as a ground anchor does.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I have this one http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?pro_code=Acc1

Bolted onto concrete base, ground anchor bolted through the floor into concrete – vey secure. Bit pricey, especially when you factor into the concrete base, ground anchor etc, but it’s very solid, very secure and keeps the elements off the bikes.

Mattbike

My experience of metal sheds is that they suffer from condensation forming on the roof. This then dripps off and soaks the floor and what is in the shed. Vents do nothing to stop the condensation forming.

vinnyeh

My experience of metal sheds is that they suffer from condensation forming on the roof. This then dripps off and soaks the floor and what is in the shed. Vents do nothing to stop the condensation forming.

What sort of shed? Anybody else encountered this with an Asgard cycle store (I’m about to pull the trigger on an Access bike store..).

Mattbike

It wasn’t an Asgard shed just your bog standard metal shed.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

mine doesn’t seem to suffer from condensation

Mattbike

Perhaps the thicker grade metal sheds don’t suffer from condensation?? so you may be ok with an Asgard.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Or perhaps they’re not creating lots of water vapour that then condenses on the colder metal surfaces.

kayak23

Spray foam insulation would sort that out I’d have thought….

footflaps

The Asgard ones have vents to let air flow through them to minimise condensation.

ChrisL

Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone know anything about Trimetals sheds? On first inspection they seem almost as pricey as the Asgard options but don’t look as tough – the door locking mechanism looks more basic for example, and they look like they’re built more to look like regular sheds than for toughness.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

What about a pre cast concrete shed. You can pick one up my way for around a grand fitted and erected. With a lot of options for doors windows roofs etc. I would consider that to be the only thing I would compare to a proper block or brick built building. Falling that how about building one from block. It works out cheaper if you do it your self and block are easy to put down. Also with the building trade in such a mess it seems there a a lot of back hand deals to be struck with brick layers to chuck you something up cheap as a lot of them need little jobs to keep them going these days.

AlasdairMc

I’ve got the Asgard Access 4, and think it’s very well made. The only issue I had was the padlocks freezing in winter, but that was solved with a lighter.

It fits five bikes if you twist the bars around, or 4 for general use, plus a toolbox and a few other wee things.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Metal sheds for bike storage’ is closed to new replies.