Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Met Parachute or Bell Super 2R?
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

Not sure which one to get, it will be for Enduro races and when I’m hitting DH tracks on my AM bike. Tried both on and the Bell it is very comfy, the Parachute fits quite well as well but a bit concerned about riding all day with it and the padding on the face. I’m also concerned that the chinbar on the Bell is a bit flexy. Any real world experiences to help me?

kimbers

I wanted the 2r for enduro raci h, but found it didn’t fit my head comfortably

Parachute was better, it is sweaty on all day rides but as good as you’ll get ventilation wise for a ff and the gel pad works well to keep sweat from your eyes
    Is did feel a bit stronger than the 2r and while I’ve not crashed into the chinbar, its taken the odd knock and scuff from otbs well.

That said, for uplift days, I’d not wear either, neither are feel as solid as my urdge down o maric or giro remedy plenty of well priced proper DH lids available from 661 etc, venting s pretty irrelevant for DH really

orena45

I tried the Bell but neither size would fit my head properly so got the MET. Been using it for enduros this year and it’s been fine for all day riding. Inevitably with the cheek pads in it is a bit warmer compared to a normal lid but I’ve not found it too bad overall. I whip the cheek pads out for long transitions on hotter days then pop them back in at the top of the next stage.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Conversely I got the Bell as it was a better fit. I’m using it for enduro’s as well and my thinking was that irs more of a step up in protection from an open face rather than an alternative to a full face. I don’t need the chinbar often enough to warrant a proper full face when I can use the Bell as my everyday helmet too and just strap on the chinbar when I’m racing.
    I think Bell are having a bit of a problem marketing the Super2R as it seems to be getting a lot of stick for not offering the same protection as a full face. I viewed more as a ‘burlier’ alternative to an open face helmet rather than making any comparisons at all with full faces.

poah
    Free Member

used to have the met, comfy and cool all day. sadly I crashed and the helmet is now scrap but the chin bar did its job. I’d not wear it on the DH tracks at inners though. normal FF have more all round head protection

Milkie
    Free Member

I’m also concerned that the chinbar on the Bell is a bit flexy.

Read the article and watch the video. 😉
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-bell-super-2r-helmet-impact-testing-2014.html

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Seen that video before and didn’t really fill me with confidence I don’t know enough about crash testing to make an informed opinion. Looks like it deforms a lot to me.

Milkie
    Free Member

..a test that’s modeled after the one used for DH certification.

That’s good enough for me. 😉

Lester
    Free Member

i got the bell 2r as i dont like the d shackle buckle on the met parachute.
    im happy i went with the bell, as i see it, its extra than an open face, not a substitute for a full face.

beano68
    Free Member

Wish I had worn my Met helmet yesterday when I did a huge face plant at Ard Rock on S5 …

scottfitz
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

I wanted the 2r for enduro raci h, but found it didn’t fit my head hair comfortably
    fixed

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Think the Bell makes sense wonder if it’s worth getting MIPS

oli575
    Free Member

Bell doesn’t fit me but the MET did.

So it’ll come down to the shape of your head!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I’ve tried both on the Met fits fine but the Bell just feel more open though I haven’t tried a MIPS one…

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I went for the Bell over the Met due to its practicallity as a one lid does all. It’s comfy, secure and airy and I see the chin strap as a little bit of extra protection when I’m mincing the schralp on uplift days.
    I’m reasonably quick, I think but never out of my limits so the fact the Bell doesn’t meet the safety certification standards isn’t much of a concern for me.

beano68
    Free Member

I’ve changed the d buckle system on my met and it was a simple job

moneytrain81
    Free Member

Seen that video before and didn’t really fill me with confidence I don’t know enough about crash testing to make an informed opinion. Looks like it deforms a lot to me.

It doesn’t deform, it flexes and goes right back to it’s original shape in the test procedure video. If you had a fully rigid chin bar that had zero flex, I figure the results of impacts would be worse and more likely to shatter on impact instead of flex a little to accommodate the hit.

sparrowcar
    Free Member

@beano68

Can you explain how? I’m not mad on the double D ring myself. How easy is it to change the chin strap?

On topic, I tried both sizes in the bell. The small was too small and the large was like a beachball on my head. I ordered a parachute in the large and it fits perfectly. Delighted with it apart from the chin strap.

Ambrose

Having tried both I went for the Bell. The fit was spot on for me. I have the MIPS version.

A fortnight in Les Gets in proper scorchio heat showed me that it was the hat for me. All the climbs bar one on all the XC rides were done in full-face mode, venting is spot on. Col de Cou at 34 degrees was just a bit warm though.

funky
    Free Member

I have the Bell Super 2r MIPS and have to say I am over the moon with it. Really comfortable in both modes. Never bothered with a full face before always wore my Giro Xen for every type of riding but the addition of the chin bar adds a lot without subtracting anything. A set of Oakley goggles and I am all set. The chin bar & goggles stays in my camelbak till I reach the top and then click it all together and off I go. The only thing I am gutted about is why they weren’t around years ago.

HansRey

moneytrain81 – Member

It doesn’t deform, it flexes and goes right back to it’s original shape in the test procedure video.

Materials can deform elastically AND plastically, as well as a host of other more complex means. I would be surprised if it returned to it’s original profile after ”impact testing”.

As for sizing, I bought a Met L/XL and it’s been good for my bucket shaped head. I rode it during the last autumn, winter and spring (temperature ranged from -15 to +15*C). Ventilation seemed fine, although i was very sweaty. I used the thinner chin pads throughout and the fit was comfortable.

beano68
    Free Member

Just carefully unpick the stitching and then remove the clip, I bought a quick release clip of fleabay which was wide enough to go through the strap.

You’ll have to remove the orange clip otherwise you won’t be able to feed the strap through.

Then just feed it back through and re-stitch

It works nicely and is quick and solid @sparrowcar

bubs

Which is better suited to a large hovis shaped head? Hoping to find somewhere to try them on this week but if its not worth the bother I won’t.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

I already have a full face so went with the 2r. It is much, much cooler than my ff. Chin bar snaps on in seconds. I found it replaced my trail lid more than my ff. Bought the MIPS version in small.

jimjam
    Free Member

I find the furore over that bell video a bit perplexing. I haven’t seen any other videos of full face helmets to compare it with, so people are drawing conclusions based on what exactly?

Bell aren’t marketing it as a full face helmet, it’s clearly not a full face helmet, it’s a trail helmet with attachable chin bar. Ask yourself, would you rather get punched in the mouth wearing the chin bar or not wearing the chin bar?

splashdown
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Bell Super 2R MIPS since February ’15.
    Very comfortable and good fit…well, it fits my head just fine! 🙂
    The removable chin guard is great.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

for those who don’t like the double d rings on the met, you know you don’t have to / not meant to undo them each time you take it off right??

just loosen to the strap (using the little red tag) as far as it will go and then pull it out of the way of your chin and slide the helmet off

i find the d rings as quick but more secure than the quick release plastic buckles

ThePilot
    Free Member

I’ve got a small Bell Super R MIPS in red if anyone wants it.
    Doesn’t fit me.
    Waiting to hear back from Tweekes as to how to send it back.
    Only tried on for size and comes with original packaging.
    Paid £113 for it, happy to sell for £100 if anyone wants it.
    Pick up from Barry, south Wales.

didgerman
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack, anyone know where to buy separate chin guards? Seems to be a secret….

sparrowcar
    Free Member

@beano thanks for that, very useful.
    @sofaboy so simple when you explain it like that, I’ll give it a try when I get home from work.

eulach

From Bell:

5 kg mass is dropped from about 0.4m

if you go over the bars and land on the chin guard it’s effectively a 80kg load dropped from a height of about 1.4m (dependant on body weight and height and not accounting for speed) so how is that test representative?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

how is that test representative?

It isn’t. Hence the sled rig.

Besides, if you piledrive face first, as you describe, you’re in the shit anyway.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Met Parachute or Bell Super 2R?’ is closed to new replies.