Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Met office v BBC weather
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It depends.

The problem with any forecast where you tell it a postcode and it tells you the weather for the next few days is it makes no indication of what might actually be happening. Is that rain at lunchtime in two days time a big front traveling slowly across the country in which case its going to rain at some point. Is it warm front (and thereofre just showers), or is it a fast moving front being dragged out and could easily pass north or south of you and you never know. Equally the opposite, if it says sunshine, might just mean the front is predicted a few miles away or youre sat in the middle of a high pressure, you wouldnt know.

Much better off looking at the actual maps, and the isobars, which are still on the bbc website, then you can make a judgement about whats going to happen (e g is it just clouding over or is this the rain that was predicted for 5 miles away hitting us).

N.b. when the bbc app says 90% chance of rain that means anything from 90% chance of a few spots in the hour to 90% chance of it raining torrential for the whole hour. Its just a confidence level because its trying too hard to predict whats going to happen exactly at your postcode.

I trust the app enough to plan a ride in my lunchbreak or after work, wouldnt trust that sort of forcast for the next day, you need to go look at a map.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I use RainToday. £25/year but very good. Gives rain forecast for T+2.75 hrs.

CountZero

I’ve been using WeatherProHD since it appeared on iOS around ten years ago, and it’s been really pretty accurate, certainly it was much more accurate than any other weather app available and I tried a few.
    I pay a subscription which gives me hourly forecasts, but it’s the satellite view and precipitation radar that I use as much as anything, because you can actually see the weather that’s coming towards the location where you’re at.
    WeatherProHD is the app for Meteogroup, which is who he Beeb use now.
    Personally I think it’s better than the MetOffice.

slackalice
    Free Member

Another vote for windy.com. Four or five different met agencies and so click and use the one that best suits your weather requirements 😁

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Met Office is completely useless. Tried to work with them a few years ago on a collaboration with some interesting technology, but they were the most hopeless bureaucratic mess I’ve ever encountered.

I’m not sure that changing the forecast as the forecasted day gets closer is actually forecasting at all – it’s just looking out the window.

JP

singletrackmind

Windguru.cz if you are near the coast .Full gambit of computer generated models to choose from, find a forcast with pretty colours that tells the story you want to hear , and roll with that

Rubber_Buccaneer

So Met Office says dry at Coed y Brenin tomorrow, BBC says 90% chance of rain

If it rains for 10mins they could both claim to have been pretty accurate

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not sure that changing the forecast as the forecasted day gets closer is actually forecasting at all – it’s just looking out the window.

I don’t think you know how forecasting works…

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Met office v BBC weather’ is closed to new replies.