Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)
  • Met cracking down on Moped crime
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

A few weeks ago I say a rozzer chasing someone. The pursued guy rand across a train track and missed a train by inches. Chasing people to apprehend them and give them their trial is not without risk however you do it. In the case of these pursuits it seems pretty clear the net result is safer for almost everyone involved.

mickmcd
    Free Member

when they haul you into a van and beat you within an inch of your life for looking a bit iffy/being a cyclist

Ah obvs not enough rapha they’re the fine upstanding cyclists

mickmcd
    Free Member

Chasing people to apprehend them

Stupid idea they should just shoot them and ask questions later US style

DezB
    Free Member

Proper entertainment, that video 😀

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’m not a huge fan of car drivers running down people arbitrarily but they do seem to be doing a fairly moderate and proportionate job, not taking them out at speed but just nudging the wheels. Also worth taking into account the safety of the general public who are at risk from these reckless louts.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I wonder if the cops get to stick little pictures of mopeds on the cars after each kill???

outofbreath
    Free Member

Of course, if they are caught they might not be meaningfully punished:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46370271

…and then there’s this, (I won’t say which frontline politician tweeted it):

“Knocking people off bikes is potentially very dangerous. It shouldn’t be legal for anyone. Police are not above the law”

They seems to acknowledge that the police aren’t acting illegally by saying it “shouldn’t” be legal. And then they say the Police are not above the Law, which suggests they do think it’s illegal. Possibly better to check before they commented.

*Not* knocking these guys off bikes is potentially more dangerous. They could kill themselves in a crash or spray acid in the face of a stranger. A bit of road rash is a small risk in comparison.

drlex
    Free Member

monkeysfeet

Possibly…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I wonder if the cops get to stick little pictures of mopeds on the cars after each kill???

Private Eye has that very cartoon in this week’s issue. 🙂

rene59
    Free Member

Probably not going to become a popular tactic now. Spoil sports.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46440172

ajaj
    Free Member

Really. You didn’t see that coming a mile off? It was after all mentioned in the third paragraph of the original BBC report and in the thread on here.

Sui
    Free Member

I’d offer my  support, it’s a good idea to use more force, it’s clearly working if you beleive the figures, the country just needs to grow a backbone and mummy and daddy of said little sgits need to shut up…

Houns

Knew it’d happen, see my post, 4th one on this thread

v8ninety

The boy, who was not wearing a helmet, was admitted to hospital with serious head injuries but later discharged.

So not that serious then, eh? <Teej mode> Thank god he wasn’t wearing a helmet… <\Teej mode>

mickmcd
    Free Member

Knew it’d happen, see my post, 4th one on this thread

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-london-4644017

Edukator
    Free Member

Police impunity generally sucks.

kilo

Police impunity generally sucks

Good job there doesn’t seem to be any here then.

v8ninety

Actually, when you read the article, it’s a non story. ‘A decision is due’… ‘could be prosecuted’… well, dur; whenever a member of public (even if they are a suspect) is injured significantly during an interaction with police I would certainly hope that there would be an investigation, with a possible outcome being that some one ‘could be prosecuted’ IF they have overstepped the mark. There’s absolutely no indication that that is the case here though.

l0key
    Free Member

100% v8ninety, standard process after such an incident to review if the action was proportional and suitable in the circumstances.

e. g. If the lad had pulled over when attempted to be stopped, on a random police stop late at night and the copper drove in to him, then right to prosecute.

If lad was fleeing following a crime bing committed and putting member of public in further danger a d the opportunity to perform this manoeuvre where no other member of public could be harmed and would result in arrest of the suspect, where the driver had been trained and followed the procedure , crack on son here’s a sticker for the car.

pondo

“That, Mr Anderson, is the sound of inevitability.”

kerley
    Free Member

100% v8ninety, standard process after such an incident to review if the action was proportional and suitable in the circumstances.

Surely the police officer who knocked the rider off should be chased down the street by a car and run over.  Ask questions later and all that….

ajaj
    Free Member

“review if the action”

Does depend on the type of review and purpose. Not if the point of the review is a power struggle within the Home Office using a police officer as a pawn.

Supposing you made a mistake at work. Would the correct action be for you and your boss to sit down and discuss for half an hour or for you to be arrested?

Even more tricky if you were carrying out company policy.

This criminal investigation thing doesn’t happen in any other industry, except possibly the military and merchant shipping. As a doctor if one of your patients dies then you aren’t automatically arrested and accused of manslaughter.

kerley
    Free Member

As a doctor if one of your patients dies then you aren’t automatically arrested and accused of manslaughter.

Did the patient die because the doctor ran them over deliberately?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Surely the police officer who knocked the rider off should be chased down the street by a car and run over.

If he ran/rode/drove away in a vehicle of some kind that might well happen.

Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Met cracking down on Moped crime’ is closed to new replies.