Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • Met cracking down on Moped crime
  • ajaj
    Free Member

Not Hicks, although I was getting reports confused and that’s where the four came from. Mostly this paragraph from the BBC article:

“However, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said it is investigating three cases involving “tactical contact” by Met police cars on scooters.”

binners

Looking at the stats, will the yout’ of London not all have murderised each other with hunting knives before the years out anyway?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Old Testament justice – get medieval on their asses. Think of it as evolution in action.

Should wr have that style of justice on everything?

tjagain

For me this is a tricky one as the perps knew that met rules were ” no chasing” people on scooters with no helmets so by taking off the helmet they knew they would get away.  thus the change in the rules. I would hope that the change in the rules means that the perps will simply stop this tactic – I guess thats the aim.  Its a very fine balance tho ‘cos a death or two and it will all look very differnt.  there was a kid on a scooter killed in Edinburgh in a chase with cops IIRC.  Just a kid ragging around pilton on a stolen scooter ( no other crime)  A lot of outcry over that.

BikePawl
    Free Member

@tjagain

Brad Williamson wasn’t being chased by the police.The motorbike they were on crashed into another car.

theotherjonv

Its a very fine balance tho ‘cos a death or two and it will all look very differnt

The Metropolitan police said there had been a 36% reduction in thefts that involved mopeds or scooters since the tactics were adopted last year.

It’s been used for nigh on 12 months, very rarely, and as said before if there were major casualties as a result I’m sure would have been reviewed and reported.

20,000 incidents in 2017, 12,000 this year, 63 times used. That’s once in every 200 incidents give or take.

40% of pursuits involve mopeds.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

To me it seems a reasonable way of dealing with people who have decided the rules of society don’t apply to them.

But then I agree with the death penalty so you may wish to ignore my view.

mattyfez

It’s not a question of ‘knowing the rules’

People in motorised vehicles who are putting other peoples lives at risk need to be taken down. If they fail to stop then they should be rammed off the road…

…lest they kill a kid or anyone if they are allowed to continue.

v8ninety

Strikes me that it’s reasonable and proportionate force utilised to stop and detain potentially violent, and certainly dangerous individuals, plain and simple. There are much bigger issues regarding our broken society, but the Met aren’t charged with fixing that. They have been told to address this new crime pattern, and they seem to have acted decisively, yet reasonably. Chapeau, TBH. Hope the first Bobby to unintentionally cause a KSI as a result of their strategy gets supported.

redthunder
    Free Member

Still got this on my PC 🙂 Time for another game I think 🙂

mattyfez

It’s not a question of ‘knowing the rules’

People in motorised vehicles who are putting other peoples lives at risk need to be taken down. If they fail to stop then they should be rammed off the road…

…lest they kill a kid or a baby robin anyone if they are allowed to continue.

sbob
    Free Member

Smear them into the tarmac. 🙂

tjagain

Ta BIkepawl

Del

Summary justice isn’t justice. It might be what passes for it in a society with a woefully under-resourced police force, and it might be effective, but it’s not right.

For the contributor who sees riders with battery powered grinders, do you call it in? They’re already committing an offence.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Is riding a moped with a battery powered grinder really an offence?

Del

Going equipped is.

xora

Is riding a moped with a battery powered grinder really an offence?

I beleive so, comes under the new being tooled up for robbing legislation!

CountZero

Summary justice isn’t justice. It might be what passes for it in a society with a woefully under-resourced police force, and it might be effective, but it’s not right.

Justice comes when they appear in court with a judge and jury. What’s actually happening here is apprehension by the police while in the process of carrying out criminal acts involving weapons and caustic materials.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Keep going MET, and if they’re found carrying acids or alkalis then by all means pour on……

theotherjonv

CZ +1

chewkw
    Free Member

They police should install bull bar … ramming speed please full speed awayyyyy!  😀

Del

Going equipped:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/25

Summary justice is what a lot of people on this thread are getting all frothy for, see for example, the voice of reason above. 🙄

kerley
    Free Member

A person shall be guilty of an offence if, when not at his place of abode, he has with him any article for use in the course of or in connection with any <span class=”LegChangeDelimiter”>[</span>F1<span class=”LegAddition”>burglary or theft</span><span class=”LegChangeDelimiter”>]</span>F1 .

So having a moped is an article that can be used for theft?  Even so, where does it say you can run that person over?  If you saw someone with an article that could be used for burglary (a crowbar) walking down the street could the police just run him over to stop the burglary?

funkmasterp

I think the knocking them off part comes in to play when the suspects refuse to stop. It seems like the most appropriate way to deal with the issue and seems to be working.

mattyfez

It’s not summary justice though, it’s the police stopping a dangerous situation from becoming more dangerous. Knocking them off after they failed to stop and are riding dangerously before they run someone over is protecting the public. That’s thier job?

cynic-al
    Free Member

What is the reason there is not a heavy sentence for engaging in police pursuit?

Justice comes when they appear in court with a judge and jury. What’s actually happening here is apprehension by the police while in the process of carrying out criminal acts involving weapons and caustic materials.

Classic right wing grumpy old man “logic”. Where is it stated this is only when weapons/acid used?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

They should do this to cyclists who jump red lights. That’ll learn ’em

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

“For the contributor who sees riders with battery powered grinders, do you call it in? They’re already committing an offence.”

You are having a complete laugh / and or don’t live in London.

This is a regular sight – they ride straight past police cars in traffic like this and the police do absolutely zip. I understand it’s called “going equipped” but as the police can’t chase or detain them they can pretty much do what they want e.g.

When we saw the moped gangs looking for families to rob in the park (driving in convoy round the paths with hoods up and bandanas over their faces – very menacing) the two police we saw strolling along the road outside the path basically said there was nothing they could do about it.

Reporting it to the police is a complete waste of time when until recently the police just sit in their cars pretending it’s not happening even when it’s right in front of them. They are right though – there’s little they can do when they risk being suspended for years if they try and stop them.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Being honest the amount of grief I get from motorists about “you jump red lights” (I never do) I’d be up for cops on mopeds knocking RLJ crowd off their bikes.

Andy

I have no issue with this at all – good on ’em. The issue is Police Service resources have been reduced to a beyond dangerous level.  Where I am there is one area car now in the Thames Valley that covers from Oxford all the way to Windsor during the week. That car is only manned by one officer, not two. I had to call a car out when some kids put a brick through a window and I asked what would happen if the officer was called to a violent disturbance and whether they felt vulnerable and they said definitely and now if its too dangerous they just dont get involved. This has created a problem that will take years to fix as each new generation of feral rats grows up they see what is going on around them and push the boundaries a little further. So well done to the Police for this.

Del

No, I don’t live in London. Call it in. The more reports there are, the more the police can point to the calls coming in, the more funding they can justify giving the problem. Doing nothing is not a solution. In and of itself it is contributing to the problem.

But hey, I’ve no skin in the game, I live in the South west. I don’t really gas tbh.

mocha
    Free Member

this made me smile from Andy Kirkpatrick earlier…

Peter Hitchens @ClarkeMicah, the brother of the late Christopher, a man easy to dislike, but who puts the ‘right’ into right wing (i.e. he’s right about most things), once said that when you lost the word ‘force’ from the UK Police and replaced it with ‘service’ it was an invitation for criminals to prey on society (I can remember when the police would give you a thump and scared the shit out of you, while now they’re just social workers in stab vests). Anyway, although I don’t live in the UK it’s great to see predators being run down by some by force, not simply serviced.

Probably gives one a different perspective spending a lot of time in the city but a bit of zero tolerance wouldn’t go amiss in Manchester at the moment.

ajaj
    Free Member

“They should do this to cyclists who jump red lights.”

Yes. If they don’t stop when asked and it’s the only option (which it wouldn’t be for a push-bike where a truncheon or boot in the spokes would be effective and the rider isn’t waving a machete)

More funding doesn’t really solve the problem, all it gives you is more officers to ineffectively watch people riding away.

This isn’t about summary justice, it’s about getting the miscreants in front of a court in the first place.

MoreCashThanDash

The Police have been stopping vehicles in pursuits in a variety of means for years now, without many problems being sued as far as I’m aware, and I don’t see why that needs to be changed for these moped riders. I’ve also known them run over knife wielding pedestrians in the street, that driver got a commendation iirc

ajaj
    Free Member

The simple truth is that, for the most part, you’re wrong. Police haven’t been engaging vehicle pursuits and especially not motorbike pursuits. It is very rare for a pursuit to be authorised.  Not surprisingly this isn’t widely published, you won’t find a statement on your local PCC website saying “our policy is to let violent criminals get away” but nonetheless the rules are there (you can read them on the College of Policing website). That’s why the criminals are so surprised. That’s why this type of crime has ballooned.

Yes, I know you see it on Road Wars, but one or two pursuits a year does not change the fact that they are an exception. A TV programme where ever chase is abandoned after 30 seconds, whilst accurate, wouldn’t make good viewing.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Oh it’s down south where our betters live. Suppose something will get done about it eventually. Them water cannons bought for taming the plebs might come in useful after all.

chewkw
    Free Member

I would get the police to use bean bag round … 😀

FuzzyWuzzy

My only issue is how quickly some of them get up again after being knocked off.

koldun
    Free Member

All fun and games while they are knocking a generic ‘youth scrote’ off a moped, not so great when they haul you into a van and beat you within an inch of your life for looking a bit iffy/being a cyclist.

outofbreath
    Free Member

All fun and games while they are knocking a generic ‘youth scrote’ off a moped, not so great when they haul you into a van and beat you within an inch of your life for looking a bit iffy/being a cyclist.

Are you intending to use the slippery slope fallacy or the false equivalence fallacy? It’s not clear which one I should be calling you out on.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Met cracking down on Moped crime’ is closed to new replies.