Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • messed up my bb shell
  • Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

Cack-handed, ham-fisted, dyslexic fool that I am, I was in a rush, got confused between left and right re-installing my bb and I’ve messed up the threads in the bb shell of one of my bikes 😳 At least it was the oldest cheapest bike but I can’t afford to replace it.

Anyone had the threads on their bb re-tapped? It seems there is a park tool tool that does this but when I phoned up my lbs they said it wasnt possible 😕

Any thoughts?

Premier Icon wwaswas

what’s the frame and BB shell made from?

Premier Icon P20

It depends on how screwed it is. If the shop actually see it in the metal they may decide they can do it

Premier Icon stevied

If it’s only the 1st few threads you could try a Saint BB. They have longer cups/threads.

Premier Icon alexpalacefan
    Free Member

Rescued an aluminium frame myself with a Saint BB earlier this year.

That’s the cheap fist option.

APF

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

wwaswas its a cheap alu Ridley I use as my commuter/pit bike for cx

StevieD yes only first few threads, but a road bb – if that makes a difference

Premier Icon rocketman
    Free Member

As above Saint BBs have longer threads on the drive side.

RF X-type DH have longer threads on both sides

Premier Icon wwaswas

Alu’s probably more tricky but a frame buildre could try and resuce the threads or sleeve it. Might cost more than a second hand replacement though.

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers. There is a frame builder near the LBS so might be an option if not too pricy.

I’m pretty sure is only the initial threads and only on drive side so Saint BB might do the trick if it would be road compatible? 24mm axle but i think it sounds like different width cups?

Premier Icon wwaswas

the idea with the saint bb is to use it as a cutting tool to restore the threads, then use the original BB as intended. I’d thread lock the eventual BB in place too, if it were me.

Premier Icon reformedfatty
    Free Member

I’ve had a BB shell re-tapped, although that wasn’t cross threaded, more of installed without any grease and left to corrode in place.

Turned out to be easy for the shop (Roll for the Soul if you’re in Bristol)

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get a decent lbs, yours sounds useless.

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

To be fair they are pretty good normally and I was a bit surprised. However I didnt recognise the voice of the guy I spoke to so might have been new staff.

Premier Icon Bez

If it’s only a few threads crossed then it can probably be re-tapped with care. If not then helicoiling will work. And if all else fails then a threadless BB is an option. Your LBS is throwing the towel in too early 😉

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Bez +1

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

Working at home so had a quick look again in the light of day just now, really was only minor damage to the first couple of turns in so a bit of careful filing of the burrs/misshapen threads, a bit of cleaning and very carefull installation and I have a BB in place again 😀

The last one lasted 3 years so hopefully this one will too!

Premier Icon Bez

Yeah, on an aluminium frame a robust BB can often tap out minor damage itself 🙂

Smug points for you next time you’re in the LBS…

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

😆 yep!

Was pretty relieved I didn’t have to fork out any cash for such a daft mistake!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘messed up my bb shell’ is closed to new replies.