Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Mesh base layers for hot summer days – your experiences please
  • brooess
    Free Member

Do they really help keep you cool? I’ve always accepted that on days as hot as today, I’ll get hot and sweat, which is why cycling tops are lightweight wicking fabric.

It’s been suggested to me that one of those mesh base layers (vest or t-shirt version) help keep me a little cooler.

Anyone wear one of these and reckon it’s worth it, or are they just a bit of a ‘thing’…

We were out for a long time today and it wasn’t that healthy – I think we were all a little dehydrated and overheated despite several cafe stops and plenty of drink taken in… so even a marginal impact on keeping cool would’ve been helpful

julzm
    Free Member

A decent technical t shit will do the same thing.

Last week I had a castelli mesh sleeveless base layer on with a trail jersey on top. One great thing about it was that I did not feel the sweat at all. Even when it got later in the evening and we’d stopped riding I still didn’t get cold despite OH starting to feel the cold. So maybe they are worth it.

Today, it was hot, I just wore a short sleeve fox tech t shirt. Felt great all day.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dovebiker

My experience is the mesh baselayer wicks the sweat to the outer jersey where it evaporates – without a baselayer, the jersey just sticks to the skin. The mesh doesn’t get as clammy as something like a compression baselayer also.

rocketman
    Free Member

Mesh base layers are good I have many of them

There’s some science about them increasing the effective surface area to disperse perspiration

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I started wearing one just recently. They work really well.
    I went for a mesh base from Decathlon which was a tenner and will be buying more

TheGingerOne

Yes, they work really well, though not so much if you ride with a pack, hence roadies tend to use them a lot, but not mtbers

iainc

The Craft ones are on a good deal on Wiggle at the moment too. I have a couple of them and they are definitely better in warm weather than no base layer – keeps me dryer.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve always used an undershirt when cycling – some are solid and some are meshed. They work very well to transfer the moisture away (all synthetic as wool mix tops really don’t work very well).
    Recently however, I was given a couple of full sets of Alé clothing which has textured fabric on the back of the jersey – this works very well to transfer moisture. This was riding in mid-high 30s and quite high humidity out from Verona into the mountains… riding with Paola Pezzo might have had something to do with it as well 😉
    Compared to jerseys that I’ve worn previously in high mountains for road riding – top-end assos jerseys, rapha lightweight etc, this new kit was impressively good – worn without an undershirt as the texture and weave of the back panel helped to evaporate sweat.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Paola Pezzo

Blast from the past!

windydave13
    Free Member

I’ve just started using one on the road bike. Seems to help and stops my jersey sticking to my skin when i get a propper sweat on. Also stops a bit of the chaffing 😮

wilburt
    Free Member

I’m pretty open to new ideas but a vest whatever the material, whatever the design will make you warmer than no vest. That’s principle is also my experience of trying several different brands vs just a decent jersey.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m pretty open to new ideas but a vest whatever the material, whatever the design will make you warmer than no vest.

If you wear a highly wicking layer then sweat will be removed from your skin before it gets the chance to evaporatively cool you. If you wear a mesh layer underneath that wicking layer then sweat will remain on your skin in the holes of the mesh, giving improved cooling.

brassneck

Got one from decathlon as it was a bit hot in France. Worked well to keep a little cooler, but did have to endure Frankie Goes To Hollywood jibes every time it was visible.

Haze

Mine worked well yesterday, Castelli something or other.

Much better than having a jersey sticking to you?

benp1

I still struggle with the concept of wearing an extra layer in the summer. Something loose and flappy seems more comfy than something tight

Struggle further when I wearof a Brynje mesh layer as a cold weather base layer

chum3
    Free Member

If you wear a highly wicking layer then sweat will be removed from your skin before it gets the chance to evaporatively cool you

There’s something about that statement which doesn’t compute in my brain. Higher evaporation rates means more energy taken out of the heating system (ie you) so the higher the cooling… You want faster evaporation, no?

Think of the extremes – no evaporation means no cooling, instant evaporation must be the maximum cooling…

wilburt
    Free Member

Its marketing guff thats all.

chiefgrooveguru

There’s something about that statement which doesn’t compute in my brain. Higher evaporation rates means more energy taken out of the heating system (ie you) so the higher the cooling… You want faster evaporation, no?

Think of the extremes – no evaporation means no cooling, instant evaporation must be the maximum cooling…

Your brain is computing wrongly then. 😉

Wicking is not evaporation – wicking is the movement of liquid sweat through fabric.

If sweat is wicked off the surface of the skin it is then held in the fabric away from the skin and then evaporates mostly using heat from the air and sun. If your sweat stays on the skin then when it evaporates it uses heat from your skin.

dovebiker

so, people who have worn them say they work….

those that haven’t say they don’t 😕

TiRed

Wore mine in a 100 km road race yesterday, so a decent amount of effort in the heat. It is excellent. Castelli Nesbitt. Comes in three sizes, mine’s a S/M and I’ll probably buy another as I like it so much. Worn under a tight race jersey or a skinsuit. If I could fault it, I’d say it doesn’t stay as white as I would like with prolonged usage. And I wear it in winter and summer conditions.

imnotverygood

so, people who have worn them say they work….

those that haven’t say they don’t
    Situation Normal for STW

TheGingerOne

Having worn them a lot riding out in Mallorca in high 20’s and Tuscany, Pyrenees and Alps etc and with a large number of people who also ride regularly across Europe on multi day road rides I can certainly vouch for my opinion on them working very well.
    I can’t tell you how it works scientifically, but they do work…
    Things like, the mesh creates small pockets of air which means you have areas of skin which are not in contact with material and there is airflow between them. As anyone who knows about layering, you also want to transfer moisture away from the body from one layer to the next to keep you dry.

As I said previously, if you wear a backpack, they will not work as the weight of the back compresses the mesh taking away the airpockets (or something)

I use Craft ones from Wiggle with jerseys made by Howies, Sportful, Ale, Exteondo and they all remain much drier than if I did not wear one.

wilburt
    Free Member

Nice soundbite but doesnt reflect this thread.

My experience riding with and without them in hot climates across Europe is they dont work.

Others may disagree.

TheGingerOne

Not a soundbite. I was trying to give factual information \ evidence of my experience and the experiences of people I know which might help the OP.

Not sure why you are so anti\dismissive of others actual views on a thread about base layers?

wilburt
    Free Member

not you, @dovebiker

chum3
    Free Member

@chiefgrooveguru

I don’t think that you can split the system between body heat and sun heat. The sweat is heated by both to a significant extend on a sunny day and any evaporation/cooling from the surface of the fabric will directly impact the skin underneath as it’s so close. You can’t have a significant temperature gradient across such a small distance of what, 0.5mm???.

What might by happening is that base layer increases the surface area available for evaporation which might increase cooling…

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve always found they made me warmer. When my main jersey is unzipped they have no effect so good for temature balance.

all my roadie jerseys stick to me – thats how they are supposed to fit. I like the spray on pro jersey look.

Humidity might be the main reason why people see differences – Warm and humid feels hotter than hot and dry.

orena45

Wore my new Pearl Izumi Cargo mesh base layer yesterday under my summer jersey for a few hours riding in high twenty temps. Wore it mainly as I wanted to ride packless for the first half of the ride and carry some tools and thought I might cook but it was actually fine.

Didn’t cook (didn’t feel cool either, but it was chuffing hot!) and although my jersey was wet at the end, I felt dry underneath.

s1m0n
    Free Member

Just picked up a sleeveless one from Velo Champion (currently only £16.49) – wore it for the first time on the ride in this morning, and although it wasn’t hot here then (only about 17C) first impressions were good. The ride home tonight should be a better test.

kelvin

They work. Brilliantly.

And I find short sleeve ones work better than sleeveless ones, which is a bit counter intuitive.

Probably don’t work as well under a very tight fitting jersey… but this is a mountain bike forum… so less of that please.

tom.nash

Love them; been using these for a couple of summers and they really do help wick sweat and keep you cooler.

https://odlo.com/uk/en-gb/breathe-baselayer-singlet-men.html

Yak

I think they work well if you have a decent average speed on your ride. If you are stopping and starting or lots of slow climbing, then it’s just another layer making you hotter.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Its marketing guff thats all.

I used to work for Craft, The idea for the vests came from the Tour.

We never had to “Sell” the vest to shop. Just walk in, give a few to staff and get them to try them. Every shop that tried them, bought and sold them.

They really do make you more comfortable on hot days than just wearing a jersey (of any kind) by itself.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Don’t worry about temperature/speed/insistity of exercise.

If you sweat whilst on your bike, a vest will make you more comfortable. Both summer and winter.

antigee

Another vote for the craft ones here
    Midwinter down under but in summer usually 30degs by mid morning and well worth wearing one

MarcSussex
    Free Member

I’ve tried the craft and DHB ones. Both definately work and are great. The craft has the slightly longer torso of the two, so that’s my preferred product.

orena45

Got round to putting my thoughts down on the Pearl Izumi base layer I mentioned earlier…

…take a look at the review on my blog for a see if you’re interested 🙂

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Mesh base layers for hot summer days – your experiences please’ is closed to new replies.