Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Merlin Wheels … Your thoughts please.
  • OCB
    Free Member

Looking around online, I see that Merlin have some rather tempting wheels, built, at pretty much less than I can find the parts for …

Before I commit, what’s been your experience of Merlin and their wheel building please?

It’ll be the Hope Evo’s and ZTR Arch 29er wheelset, (and I know that I’ll still need to buy the skewers seperately).

I might ask for a build quote on XT hubs too just for completeness, I’ve always gone on well with XT hubs, although I’ve read stuff online which appears to suggest that they are less reliable now than once they were …

Junkyard
    Free Member

one of the best wheel builders around so no need ot worry about quality

anto164
    Free Member

Merlin are renowned for their quality wheelbuilds.

That’s all i’ll say. Then again, last time i bought custom builds, it was from merlin and that was over 2 years ago as they’ve lasted that long without a true or rebuild.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’ve had 5 sets all been excellent 10/10

Northwind

My own set were superb… My mate’s set weren’t perfect, they were round but not well trued, had a few mm of runout. But the build was still excellent, they’ve stayed that exact slightly wonky shape perfectly so that’s still a good result and I’m sure they’d have sorted it if he’d wanted it done.

GJP
    Free Member

Only had one pair from Merlin but they have been faultless for the last 5 years. Whereas, the ones I had from Wheelpro where nothing like true when they arrived 🙁

Inbred456
    Free Member

Had two sets, one set of xc717’s on deore hubs and one set of 719’s xt hubs. Both spot on never had to touch or tweak either set.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Superb. I’ve wrecked a few wheels over the last couple of years but the Merlin ones definitely hold up better than the others, apart from my 819 from wheelcraft that’s indestructible I think.

FAIL
    Free Member

I’ve been using a pair from them for the last four years, still very true despite a few minor dings to the rims.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

3 sets for me…

Not a drama with any of them.

Kato

Excellent, I’ve had 2 sets of Merlin wheels and have not been disappointed

MrKmkII
    Free Member

nary a wobble after three years for me.

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve not had Merlin wheels in some years but my wheels didn’t need truing for over a year. Last set of wheels I had built by a mate are still going but my new set will be from Merlin I reckon.

richmtb

they are top drawer and good value too.

teadrinker
    Free Member

What everyone else says. I’ll always buy my wheels from Merlins, top stuff.

RustySpanner

Another vote for them here – three sets for us, eldest now 5 years old, used at least once a week, still perfect.

Can’t complain really.

blades2000
    Free Member

Excellent, never had problems with any of mine. Even had a pair shipped to Denmark when I was living there. 10/10

boxelder

Their pro2/arch 29er aren’t that cheap are they? Is there a deal on?

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve had wheels from Merlin before, they were excellent in build quality.

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of sets from Merlin and they’ve been great, tight and true

I just got a set of 29er Crests on Hope Evos and JRA came out cheaper – worth checking
    And they’re very nice people to deal with

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Very high standard ime

jonb
    Free Member

As above, I’ve used them lots and they are some of the best I’ve had.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Still got 2 pairs that i had built in 2004 !!,still running ok
    Great quality wheels

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve got a 15 year old Merlin wheel that has been downgraded from mtb to shop bike use still running nicely and a shiny 2 month old one that runs sweet. No complaints.

porter_jamie

Very good, and top service too. Remember they dont come with rim tape.

theflatboy
    Free Member

lack of rim tape is so annoying when you fork out for new wheels 😡

Kryton57

Has a set of 719’s on Hope 2 for four years now – never had to touch them at all…..

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Merlin Wheels … Your thoughts please.’ is closed to new replies.