Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Merlin Malt 1 sizing- any guides online?
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

My brother wants to order one from Merlin Cycles. Is there any info re. sizing on the net, or will I get him to call them?

He’s just over 6ft, so between 18.5 and 19.5 I think..

hilldodger
    Free Member

Give them a ring, I’ve found them very helpful over the phone…..

silverside
    Free Member

call them

im 5.11 and i find the 17 inch rock lobster suits me offroad – but feels a bit small on road .

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rockthreegozy
    Free Member

They recommended a 19.. sizing on the 08 frames is different and its a 2004 frame my brother is after- which comes in 18.5 or 19.5 so not sure which one to go for!

Have emailed them for geometry and also to confirm fork model, just read a few things on other forums about geometry tables being available..

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Silverside- that would suggest a 18.5 would be better for him then, but not wanting to rush into the wrong choice!

Anyone on a 18.5/19.5?

chico
    Free Member

i have one its frame is 17 inch, wheels 26, my inside leg 32 and height 5,10.5 its a fantastic bike a friend has one who legs are 33 inch and his frame is 15. the top tube on mine is a little close to the jewels but its ok

DezB
    Free Member

Here’s the geometry doc, what I have kept for just such questions:

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

DezB, do you own one? No mention of standover height there, and a few contrasting ideas above means I’m still not sure.

chico
    Free Member

Photobucket" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />this is my 17 inch. my stand over gives me about an inch clear of the tender bits and like i said above i have 32 inside leg

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Is that your normal riding posisition (saddle height wise?)

How much exposed post in mm?

silverside
    Free Member

compared to chico – i also have 17″ frame. i am 5.11, i have a rock lobster which looks to have the same geometry – i have shorter legs and longer arms (31″ inside leg) so i got a layback post (as i felt a bit cramped), but i have the saddle around the same height (offroad). hope this helps.

chico
    Free Member

yes normal ride position. will lower it on more technical rides. but not much. would have to go out into garage to find measurement and im in bed so will post tomoz if you want it. i like to ride with legs full stretch. more power up hill i find.

MoreCashThanDash

They used to have a reputation for being on the large size – if he can try one or get to the shop he might be better off before he buys (says the guy that followed their sizing advice and ended up with a bike a fraction too big to be worth upgrading….)

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got a 17″ Malt 1, which fits perfectly. 5’10”. It’s a size down from what I’d normally go for. I would recommend your brother get the 18.5″ if that’s what sizes are available. (Or 19″ if they are as my geometry pic).

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Is it me or do the sizes/geometry seem a bit weird?
    Top tube seems short,in relation to standover…..

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Visiting them isn’t an option- he’s about 2.5 hours away by car and doesn’t drive, I’m on the wrong side of the border!

18.5 sounds like its the best choice, anyone else like to confirm before I order the bike for him?

Wiksey
    Free Member

Probably not very helpful, but I’m 6’3″ and have a 19.5″ 2004 Malt 1 which once I got a long seatpost and a big stack of washers on the steerer tube I find fits well.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Brother is going to phone them again to discuss- lots of contrasting ideas above.

Hes a 34 inside leg if it helps.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Merlin Malt 1 sizing- any guides online?’ is closed to new replies.