Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Merlin Cycles customer service problem
  • nakeddave
    Free Member

Happy New Year everyone,

Just before Xmas I placed an order with Merlin Cycles for a pair of tyres and some sealant using a discount code I received that morning. When I checked out through paypal the discount code didn’t register and I was charged £10 over the quoted price. No problem I thought and emailed Merlin cycles to have them apply the discount manually at their end. I have since had two email responses telling me that they are unable to apply the discount retrospectively? but that I can have £10 off my next order.
    What do you think? I’m quite upset as the reason I ordered with them was due to the discount on offer. And I don’t feel I should be forced to order from them again to get my discount. Why can’t they simply refund me the £10 against my original order.
    Generally this put a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, almost sprout like…
    Anyone else had similar experience?

Houns

Can understand your frustration but can also see it from their side. Must have quite a few people buying stuff then realising after that there are discount codes around so they try it on.

weeksy

“Code never applied” = I thought i did it right, but i apparently never.

Why are Merlin to blame exactly ? You get the total price at checkout, however it’s their fault you never checked it ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

If you saw the discount code hadn’t been applied, why did you still complete the transaction? Sounds like an ok offer to me, Merlin are one of the best mail order places so I know I’d certainly be going back at some point.

nakeddave
    Free Member

I totally agree, but I’m sure their computer system will show my email address on file and that I will have been emailed the codes that day. I had a similar situation with CRC about a year ago and they were very quick to resolve the issue.

iainc

You say the code didn’t register and you were charged £10 over the quoted price. I don’t understand that, because if you were shown a price at checkout with a £10 discount then the code must have applied surely ?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Seems a pretty fair offer to me given that it was mostly likely operator error and you’d have been given plenty of opportunity to check the total before hitting the buy button (especially if you went via PayPal.)

As has been said, Merlin are one of the best out there.

nakeddave
    Free Member

When I was on the Merlin page the discount code registered taking the order from £108 to £98, when I got to paypal it showed £108 again. I paid and emailed them straight away to confirm the discount, response came the next day. The thing that bugs me is I bought additional items to make the order over £100 pounds to validate the voucher code. I’ve used Merlin cycles for a number of purchases this year and have generally been very happy with them.
    Best wishes.

ricky1
    Free Member

I like sprouts,I also like buying things,at least they have tried to rectify by giving you some money off your next shopping experience,you could refuse and never shop there again.

PJ266
    Free Member

It’ll be in the terms of the offer “cannot apply retrospectively”

Thems the rules. Take the £10 voucher and be grateful. Or give it to me and I’ll be grateful.

scotroutes

If you’re not happy then just cancel the order.

andyrm
    Free Member

Shouldn’t have completed the transaction if you saw a discrepancy.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

“The thing that bugs me is I bought additional items to make the order over £100 pounds to validate the voucher code.”

well that’s the thing with %/£ off voucher codes is to get you to go back to the website and order stuff! and as most vouchers are for “orders over £XXX” it is also to get you to buy more stuff. that marketing for you!

At lest the £10 off will be for anything and you don’t have to spend £xx amount to validate it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Merlin Cycles customer service problem’ is closed to new replies.