Merlin cycles…..

Home Forum Bike Forum Merlin cycles…..

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Merlin cycles…..
  • batfink

Credit where credit is due: I ordered a set of alu Haven bars yesterday from Merlin at 11.30am, and they have arrived at 9.30am this morning – and that was their free standard dispatch/delivery!

£35 quid for the bars – seems much cheaper than elsewhere too.

Well done Merlin, very happy customer here

same here ordered somert yesterday and it came first thing this morning – spot on, the best uk online shop by a country mile

scottfitz

best uk online shop by a country mile

not bad shout! Always happy customer 🙂

Good prices, fast delivery. What’s not to like? Plus, you can call in the shop and get the same prices, unlike some other online retailers (particularly one based in saltaire).

batfink

Just waiting for the matching stem to come down in price a bit now 😯

willard

I have to chime in at this point and say I think that are a good set of lads too.

I’m still very impressed with my Malt 2 and phoning them up for extra kit and bits is a far better experience than some other places.

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

I’ve alway liked Merlin

They do what they do really well. Which is wheels, drivetrain and a limited but well priced selection of other components

smudge

Merlin are brilliant, They also have a few things on fleabay that isnt listed on their website thats as quick delivered

Premier Icon cheshirecat
    Subscriber

Agree, bought brakes and a couple of forks from them online and in the shop. Decent advice over the phone as well.

Premier Icon Clobber
    Subscriber

The stem was cheap a few days ago, I just checked in to buy one but they’ve gone back up… 😥

rocketman

Have not ordered from Merlin for a while because the last few times they have sent trivial items via recorded delivery which resulted a visit to the Post Office to sign for a bit of cable or an inner tube.

Good for wheels obv but Ch*in R*act*on are still my #1 esp now they’ve started using jiffy bags again.

higthepig

Always had quick service from Merlin and their prices are always good, especially with their VIP discount.

Willard, another Malt 2 owner here, I love it!

robbo

Stop it. If everyone uses them they’ll get to busy and end up like CRC! Keep it quiet.

Premier Icon sefton
    Subscriber

yep always manage next day for me too! always cheapest too!

scottfitz

Stop it. If everyone uses them they’ll get to busy and end up like CRC! Keep it quiet.

yep sorry. There rubbish never use them again.

Junkyard

crc are rubbish that is all I have to say what are you doing with my order and money??????

ruscle

2 weekends ago they were selling all easton items cheap. I got the Havoc carbon bars for £71 and the Haven stem for £44, too cheap to say no! I would agree that they are an excellent online store making it very hard to pop a mile down the road to the LBS and pay more in the process!

yossarian

every time I’ve bopught stuff off merlin or phoned the shop to ask questions they’ve been really, really good.

use them without hesitation

mcboo

Agreed, best online shop by miles.

SBrock

Ordered a pair of Maxxis High Rollers 2s taking advantage of there weekend offer, £64 delivered got them yesterday morning….excellent online shop, always my first port of call also UK Bikestore pretty good tas well.

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

Merlin are brilliant if they have what you are after.

Not such a great spread of range though.

That said I’ve availed myself of their offers recently and in the past.

I like that they use RM as I’m only a 30 minute walk from the PO but 8 mile drive to parcel force/any delivery courier. Usually prompt delivery too.

I’ll use em again.

Oh and they bars were £35.95 actually… still a bargain mind, mine ordered last night 😳

batfink

£35 quid for the bars

Oh and they bars were £35.95 actually

Ok… you got me

Another big fan here. Actually thinking about popping in to say hello on Friday to get some goodies that will make the Whinlatter Challenge more bearable.

Premier Icon flange
    Subscriber

There’s always one

I wasn’t impressed when my SO’s rock lobster came with OEM forks with the serial number filed off. When they went wrong, Fisher wouldn’t touch them as apparently filing off things like serial numbers invalidates warranties.

I won’t use them again…

Premier Icon ComradeD
    Subscriber

Surely you should be thanking Royal Mail as well, there the ones that are delivering it for you.

batfink

In general, I try to keep my opinions about RM service to myself.

Dark Side

There’s always one

I wasn’t impressed when my SO’s rock lobster came with OEM forks with the serial number filed off. When they went wrong, Fisher wouldn’t touch them as apparently filing off things like serial numbers invalidates warranties.

I won’t use them again…

But you are working of the assumption it wa Merlin that did the filing. Also, surely your warranty was with Merlin, not Fishers.

They’re ok for small stuff but I had to send two pairs of RS Revs back as they were not as described. Took the Revs back myself the first time and the chap on the desk was next to no use and didn’t seem interested which cheered me up after a 50 mile journey. Then on the second set I had to go from nice to not so nice in the tone of my emails to get it sorted.

Maybe just bad luck but I’ll never fully trust them in future.

andyl

I picked up 2 haven stems in the sale last week. Still can’t decide if to keep the all black or the black with gold face plate – when I do will stick it on here (un-used) for what it cost me. 55mm version if interested?

£35.95 is a bargain for haven aluminium bars. Would have gone for a set over these carbon flats I have just got for the 29er but had a gift voucher to use from CRC.

Don’t forget to sign up to a cashback site for another 3% (was 5%) cachback. Although my last lot didn’t track so be careful.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

They are easily my biggest spend for parts – managed several £k last year with two XTR Group sets and two Fox Forks amongst other bits and bobs…

scottfitz

also UK Bikestore pretty good tas well

+1

Premier Icon Tiger6791
    Subscriber

Rang them up to moan saying I was missing stuff.

Was told the packing team sometimes get creative with where stuff is.

Sure as, what I thought was missing was there so I rung them to tell them and they remembered my name straight off.

Ordered a multi tool, arrived next day

Good shop.

Premier Icon flange
    Subscriber

But you are working of the assumption it wa Merlin that did the filing. Also, surely your warranty was with Merlin, not Fishers

It was – I know this because they told me. They buy a load of last years models (Cannondale, Trek) split them and use their parts. Because all serial numbers are recorded by ‘Dale/Trek, they have to file the numbers off so they can’t be traced.

The forks went back to Fisher because Merlin were next to no help in getting them sorted and wanted to charge for a full service if they fixed them (which was utter rubbish as they’d just been serviced – literally). The bloke on the phone couldn’t have been less helpful and the fact that there was no come-back on the forks scared us. What if they’d failed though a defect and my SO had been injured?

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

merlin are the same as any other shop imo some good some bad days.

They sent me the wrong mech once, long cage rather than medium, not a big deal you might say but i could have got the long cage cheaper and specifically wanted a medium. I paid for next day delivery so i could be riding at the weekend. they then wouldn’t send me out the right one until i had sent the other one back which mean’t i couldn’t sue my bike over the weekend. ended up going into Evans and buying one.

Also, I googled ‘fox RP2’ to see where comes up as cheapest and Merlin pops up, i go over to their site and they’ve sold out. This happens a lot. If it’s not in stock don’t tell me you have it!

Little things i know but it means i’m just not completely convinced about them. I have had great experiences with merlin as well though.

ads678 – Member

Also, I googled ‘fox RP2’ to see where comes up as cheapest and Merlin pops up, i go over to their site and they’ve sold out. This happens a lot. If it’s not in stock don’t tell me you have it!

How is that Merlin’s fault?

andyl

I have also had a bad experience regarding fork warranty.

Called TF tuned as was tempted to get them to do the work instead who where very helpful (and spent their time to give me advice on the problem and it was a warranty issue in their opinion) and then went direct to Fishers where Phil sorted it all out for me and I got a nice new damper assembly fitted under warranty.

But my Malt 2 was a great bike (still have the frame to sell – a bit too small in the end as I got back into riding). Although they did fit the wrong brake adapter not realising that the front and rear 160/180 are not interchangeable as the holes are off-set on shimano adapters. Small matter and I just bought a new adapter as I put it down to a mistake that was probably not helped by me changing the fork and brake spec.

rocketman

You have to keep an eye on them esp with the OE stuff remember they were selling all those duff Commencal Meta frames Xmas 08

andyl

The Easton stuff must be OE too as no boxes. Not that I care about the box as it’s just something to throw away or hoard.

I was surprised to get my carbon bars delivered in a couple of jiffy bags taped together though – fingers crossed they weren’t abused in the post but they did come next day signed for which I guess reduces the chance of them sitting at the bottom of a pile for ages.

marcusmtb

By far, one of the worst and more unprofessional online cycle shops out there…
    Only joking. 😀 Easily one of the best, if not THE best. 😉

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

How is that Merlin’s fault?

I’m no techy guy, but I assumed it would have somthing to do with them not removing it from the website when they don’t have it in stock. Seems like they’re tryinig to get people over there under false pretences to me.

Like i say though i’m no techy guy so could have this completely wrong…

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

Just picked up my haven mag finished bars from the PO…

Shiney! I like :mrgreen:

I see the deal is on Thomson pins & stems this week…

daveb

Have bought loads off them over the years and delivery/customer service has always been great. Highly recommended

Merlin are great, I think they know they can’t rival CRC on range so they don’t.

Their groupset deals are very bargainous and their wheels have a strong reputation.

The easton sale stuff was less than trade+VAT so its grey import of some description. Blinding prices when the sale was on and why lbs can’t possibly compete (same when they had easton wheels half price last year).

Rockape

Always had helpful fast service of Merlin. No complaints at all.

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Merlin cycles…..’ is closed to new replies.