Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Merkur 37c – first shave
  • Woody
    Free Member

Thought it was about time I tried a slant bar and had my first shave with it a few minutes ago.

Not scary at all, smooth and a very close shave. I used the freebie ‘platinum rostfrei’ blade that came with it for the first pass and TBH wasn’t impressed. Swapped to my usual feather for the next 2 and got the closest shave ever, with no cuts, nicks or discomfort.

Well happy 😀

Hohum
    Free Member

Well done you on using a Feather in a slant without any irritation or nicks on your first shave!

I bought a second hand 39C a few weeks ago and I tried a Feather in it last week, but the shave was just a little too close for comfort.

I have had good results with Polsilver and the old Gillette Bleue Extra blades though.

Woody
    Free Member

I’ve been using various DE razors for over a year now and nearly bought a 39c but prefer the shorter handle of the 37.

I was still a bit cautious with this one, especially around the nose and mouth but the key is definitely to let the weight of the razor do the work and use absolutely no pressure.

I only tried a few different blades (neither of the 2 you mention) and none of them came close to the Feathers. I’ll be sticking with them for at least a year as I’ve got 40 of them!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I have only just upgraded from a Parker to a Blue Beard’s Revenge “Scimitar” (mainly as it has a skull and cross bones on it!)… not brave enough to try a slant head yet, and given how much problem I used to have with ingrowing hairs I am not sure I want to go that close anyway!

Taff
    Free Member

How is a slant blade differ from a usual DE razor? I see it’s more suitable to sensitive skin. My favourite is my Edwin Jagger with a feather or derby and that suits my sensitive skin.

Good to hear you didn’t nick yourself… it’s normally the second or third shave that you get cstart getting confident and then the littel trickly of blood happens..!

Hohum
    Free Member

Taff – Member
    How is a slant blade differ from a usual DE razor? I see it’s more suitable to sensitive skin. My favourite is my Edwin Jagger with a feather or derby and that suits my sensitive skin.

The blade is held at a slight angle with the right side of the razor having more of a gap than the left hand side. As a result they sort of scythe through your whiskers.

They are generally felt to be aggressive razors, but they are okay as long as you remember not to apply any pressure when shaving as Woody mentions above.

Some people say that a slant is better for those with sensitive skin as you can get a great shave with 2 passes rather than 3 and therefore your skin is not in contact with the razor as much.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Maybe I should start a dif thread but safety razors, what are the benefits and the basics about them as opposed to modern safety razors? If there’s somewhere with a decent explanation page (looked at traditional shaving company but no joy) outlining differences etc then please point me to it. Ta

infidel
    Free Member

Fontmoss check out badgerandblade.com forum. Enjoy!!

Taff
    Free Member

Fontmoss – have search for DE razor and do it from a year ago. There was a topic about 30pages long. Essentially they’re closer for me and a he’ll of a lot cheaper (£10 for a years worth of blades)

freddyg
    Free Member

Oooooh! We haven’t had a decent shaving thread for ages.

It was as a result is a similar thread a couple of years ago that I bought my first DE razor. I haven’t looked back since. Shaving rash all gone, closer and smoother, wife prefers it and I’ve saved a fortune. What’s not to like? 🙂

JohnJohn
    Free Member

Been looking at the Merkurs recently and can’t work out the numbering of the different models. How does a 30c differ from a 34c or 38c Do the numbers relate to anything or are they just arbitrary?

stinker
    Free Member

I ordered my first Merkur this evening, just before reading this. 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

I could be wrong but always assumed it referred to weight/design and ‘c’ stands for chrome and g for gold.

Clobber
    Free Member

I got a 38c, very nice too although wasn’t massively impressed until i tried gilette 7 o’clock blades, they really are a cut above the rest….

Hohum
    Free Member

JohnJohn – Member
    Been looking at the Merkurs recently and can’t work out the numbering of the different models. How does a 30c differ from a 34c or 38c Do the numbers relate to anything or are they just arbitrary?

The three that you mention all have the same head.

The difference lies in the handle, i.e. weight, length and finish.

Hohum
    Free Member

Merkur range

Merkur

Looks like Woody is right about what the letters stand for.

stinker
    Free Member

Just to add, The Tradional Shaving Company do a sample pack of 8 different types of blades too. (I have just ordered a pack after reading about the different levels of success with different brands you guys have had). Loads of useful info to be had here! 🙂

montylikesbeer

shaving shack is run by a nice guy as well, gave up on my slant.

i looked like an extra from Sweeney Todd

Taff
    Free Member

I thi k he’s on eBay too as I bought the sample pack and still have a lot of them left!

fontmoss
    Free Member

cheers for that, ill have a look. I know there will be variation but on average is it cheaper to use DE razor blades than a disposable ie gillette mach 3?

Hohum
    Free Member

fontmoss – Member
    cheers for that, ill have a look. I know there will be variation but on average is it cheaper to use DE razor blades than a disposable ie gillette mach 3?

Yes.

However, you do have to make a larger initial outlay when you go into DE shaving, but it works out cheaper in the long run (as long as you don’t get catch one of DEADs (DE acquisition disorders ;)).

Here is a link to a good selection of starter stuff

DE kit

Markie
    Free Member

Great, a shaving thread, I’ve been meaning to write about about how awesome I find my new Panasonic ES-LA63 Pro Curve! What? No? Oh. 😉

fontmoss
    Free Member

cheers had a look for merkur 34c but everywhere seems sold out so ill get a cheap wilko and maybe a sample blade pack.

skiboy
    Free Member

niche shaving is back again,, hehe

started using feathers a few months back, bye ek lad thems some sharp bits a steel, worth every penny,

just can’t get over how cheap de shaving is once you have the razor and brush squared away,

Woody
    Free Member

Update

A few weeks in and now fully adjusted to the slant razor to the point where my standard DE’s are pretty much redundant. I would thoroughly recommend it for anyone who doesn’t have to shave every day as it is fantastic on 3-4 days growth.

Also been using an Arko shaving stick, which takes a little while to get the lather and consistency right but is just superb 😀

Hohum
    Free Member

What blades have you been using it with Woody?

I have been using a Merkur 38C for the last few weeks and I am really liking it.

Also, I have managed to pick up some Vitos shaving soap and it is a delight to use. It lathers up really quickly and is very slick and really helps with the closeness of shave 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

I’ve been using Feathers as they seem to suit me. TBH I have only tried a few others, Derby, 7o’clock, Wilkinson, none of which I really liked, and Tesco’s own brand which weren’t too bad.

The soap and brush makes a big difference. Problem with trying lots of new ones is that they last so long and between the my current ones, Mitchells Wool Fat (excellent) and the Arko, I’ve probably got at least a year before I need another.

Hohum
    Free Member

Woody – Member
    I’ve been using Feathers as they seem to suit me. TBH I have only tried a few others, Derby, 7o’clock, Wilkinson, none of which I really liked, and Tesco’s own brand which weren’t too bad.

The soap and brush makes a big difference. Problem with trying lots of new ones is that they last so long and between the my current ones, Mitchells Wool Fat (excellent) and the Arko, I’ve probably got at least a year before I need another.

Good stuff!

I know what you mean about trying out new soaps plus other things and then realising you have this huge stash that is going to last you for years and years!

Woody
    Free Member

It’s a learning curve but I took a lot of advice from here (chewkw seems to be a bit of a guru) and the various shaving forums, so didn’t make too many mistakes.

I did buy a couple of used ones off Ebay, a Gillette which was rubbish and a nice Hoffritz. All in all I’ve probably spent around £100 but that will be it for at least another 2 years………………unless I go for another brush……. 😉

GregMay
    Free Member

Hurrah for shaving thread!

reminded me that I wanted to do this at some point….shave that is.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Merkur 37c – first shave’ is closed to new replies.